Suggestions for horror-themed tank? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-30-2012, 07:34 AM   #16
robbowal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

+1 on the bleeding heart and Rummynose tetras you could also look at black phantom tetras as well
Canon Pimp Club #003
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein
"Living in the lap of luxury isn`t bad, except you never know when luxury is going to stand up." Orson Welles
robbowal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #17
Psionic
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (33/100%)

+1 on the new green glo tetras. Those things give me the heebie jeebies.

-Val
Psionic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #18
So_Fishy
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

I have no idea what this guy really is or anything about him. I just ran across this pic when searching cories and thought about this thread. He looks a little spooky in this shot.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...showimage.html
Fraternity of Dirt #72
So_Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #19
BarefootPixie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
The new Glofish Tetras- or black skirt tetras.

Bleeding heart tetras/rummynoses for a bloodied look?

A good crowntail betta male..with reds or blacks - or even an all white one for a ghosty look

Firetrack? eels..not sure about their care, probably wont work but black+orange, great colour.

Definitely ghost shrimp... not sure if black tigers or oebt can be considered creepy
And not that it would be compatible either but do mutant headed goldfish/bubble/telescope eyes work too? LOL. They can be the frankensteins.
Aren't those Glofish Tetras dyed? :/ And yeah, definitely going to get a Ghost Shrimp, an if I could find an all white Betta that would be awesome! If not I think a red one would look cool too.
BarefootPixie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 09:08 PM   #20
livebearer
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (24/100%)

u got to have a skull in there, i got one in my shrimp tank he has a hole in it's head with some crypt lutea growing out of it lol and its not even suppose to be a creepy tank!
livebearer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Glofish are not dyed. Theyre genetically modified (they breed true), which I dont have a problem with but some people might. Stay away from 'painted' fish obviously.

Some human skull decor, along with animal ones too! Not good with plant colours..maybe Crypt wendtii red or brown as a foreground.

http://www.sirinutbetta.com/images/s...lackorchid.JPG A high qualitty betta would be fantastic though.
VivaDaWolf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2012, 02:58 AM   #22
kuni
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Horror-themed, huh?

Perhaps you want the "Aztec sacrificial cenote" biotope! Nothing says horror like child sacrifice!

Ingredients:
blind cave fish
sand
limestone rocks, the crazier the shapes the better
random animal bones, purchasable online
fetal/child human skull(s) - sadly, also legally purchasable online 0_o

Black background, a little blue spotlighting, and you have a near perfect representation of the caves that the Aztecs used to drown children to sacrifice to their gods, back in the day. I'm pretty sure most folks would find that sort of tank "scary".

(no I do not recommend actually doing this)
kuni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #23
BarefootPixie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaDaWolf View Post
Glofish are not dyed. Theyre genetically modified (they breed true), which I dont have a problem with but some people might. Stay away from 'painted' fish obviously.

Some human skull decor, along with animal ones too! Not good with plant colours..maybe Crypt wendtii red or brown as a foreground.

http://www.sirinutbetta.com/images/s...lackorchid.JPG A high qualitty betta would be fantastic though.
Wow, that betta is gorgeous. I'd like to find one like this- it looks kind of like a bloodied ghost. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_w1STuFqv4E...tail+Betta.jpg
Old 04-01-2012, 03:33 AM   #24
BarefootPixie
Algae Grower

Ok, so far I've decided on 5 glass cats, 6 blind cave tetras, a ghost shrimp and a betta. Considering rummynoses and another ghost shrimp, or would that be overstocked for a 20 gallon?
Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 AM   #25
kuni
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootPixie View Post
Ok, so far I've decided on 5 glass cats, 6 blind cave tetras, a ghost shrimp and a betta. Considering rummynoses and another ghost shrimp, or would that be overstocked for a 20 gallon?
20 long or 20 high? Regardless, it's way overstocked. Additionally, fast nippy fish like the blind tetras will make life miserable for a betta and glass catfish. The shrimp will be killed and eaten. If the tank is a 20 high (2 feet long) than it's really not even big enough for the tetras. You'll have a much easier time if you pick ONE species of fish and just get a decent number of them. The tank will look much nicer too. Ghost shrimp are not a good choice with medium-sized fish, only small ones. Even then they may get eaten.
kuni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 02:41 PM   #26
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni View Post
Horror-themed, huh?

Perhaps you want the "Aztec sacrificial cenote" biotope! Nothing says horror like child sacrifice!

Ingredients:
blind cave fish
sand
limestone rocks, the crazier the shapes the better
random animal bones, purchasable online
fetal/child human skull(s) - sadly, also legally purchasable online 0_o

Black background, a little blue spotlighting, and you have a near perfect representation of the caves that the Aztecs used to drown children to sacrifice to their gods, back in the day. I'm pretty sure most folks would find that sort of tank "scary".

(no I do not recommend actually doing this)
Fetus skulls from China, how macabre!, guess we're not even good at producing even this in the US.

How about popping glass eyes and daggers into this decor.

Wow, This thread is best reserved (if at all) for Halloween,

How about a Christian-themed crucifixion in preparation for Good Friday? Complete with mouse on cross and pirahnas with little spears as Roman soldiers?

I need to go to confession now and be reborn.
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #27
odie
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

How about filling tank with fish and then adding bleach.....bad I know but it scares me the most.

Odie's Planted Playland 75gallon Crypt heavy

odie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #28
BarefootPixie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
Fetus skulls from China, how macabre!, guess we're not even good at producing even this in the US.

How about popping glass eyes and daggers into this decor.

Wow, This thread is best reserved (if at all) for Halloween,

How about a Christian-themed crucifixion in preparation for Good Friday? Complete with mouse on cross and pirahnas with little spears as Roman soldiers?

I need to go to confession now and be reborn.
Actually the person above was kidding. They even said so.
Also, I'm Wiccan so no, I would not want a Christian- themed tank. :/
Old 04-02-2012, 01:26 AM   #29
BarefootPixie
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuni View Post
20 long or 20 high? Regardless, it's way overstocked. Additionally, fast nippy fish like the blind tetras will make life miserable for a betta and glass catfish. The shrimp will be killed and eaten. If the tank is a 20 high (2 feet long) than it's really not even big enough for the tetras. You'll have a much easier time if you pick ONE species of fish and just get a decent number of them. The tank will look much nicer too. Ghost shrimp are not a good choice with medium-sized fish, only small ones. Even then they may get eaten.
Huh. I've seen a lot of people have no problems keeping shrimp and tetras with bettas. I guess maybe it depends on the fish? And I thought maybe that would be overstocking. I really would like variety though, so what do you suggest would be a good tank-mate for the tetras?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #30
Atprice
Algae Grower

PTrader: (-1/0%)

Cave tetras, ghost shrimp, and green glofish are all good fish for a ghostly/horror theme
Atprice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
beginner, horror, scary, theme

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.