54 gallon corner "slice of nature" (flooded 11/2/2013)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-26-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

54 gallon corner "slice of nature" (flooded 11/2/2013)

Ok guys,
so I am newer to the forum and am currently planning for a 54 gallon corner bowfront that I just got. I currently have a 55 gallon traditional that I have neglected a little. I need to get it back in shape and then make the move over to the corner tank.

I like the corner tank because it takes up less room in and living room and the way my living room is setup I cant really enjoy looking at the tank I have. The view is obstructed.

I will be doing a medium light planted tank, and I think after posting many questions Ill be doing some DIY led lighting.

Things I still havent decided on.

Background- I kind of like the 3d rock backgrounds by aquaterra, I know I definitely want to hide all the heaters and fliter etc. I also had an idea just to put it all in the back corner and just block that off with a piece of that rock background or even some frosted plexiglass with holes drilled so the water can move. Some way of hiding everything is a must.

Subtrate- I have been going back and forth between eco-complete and ADA aquasoil. My water is a little hard and the PH is higher, around 8.2, but I am nervous about the affects the aquasoil will have on my fish who are very well acclimated to my water. So I guess I am leaning eco complete. Has anyone mixed subtrates? I have some plain aquarium gravel thats a tan color and I thought about putting that on the bottom to try and build up some layering and slope. Since I already have a bunch of that. I also have a full 20lb bag of flourite but I dont think I want to use that.

Hardscaping- I think I am going to use the driftwood I have in my current 55. I like it and so do my fish. so I will need to design around that.

Plants. Right now I have some anubius nana, a sad amazon sword and a stem plant that I have forgotten what it is. I have really neglected my current tank. I definitely want a ground cover and really like dwarf hairgrass. I could never get it to spread in my current tank and I hope that between the eco complete and pressurized co2 that will improve. I really would like some red in the tank some different color.

So I have alot of ideas and not alot of solutions so I am open to all suggestions. So I guess my next step will be to get some eco complete unless someone talks me out of it. This is going to be a long process as I will have to setup this tank and get it cycled and plants going before I move the fish over. Here are some pics of the old and the new.

Last edited by carpalstunna; 11-03-2013 at 01:13 AM.. Reason: name change
carpalstunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
Sethjohnson30
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I had a 54g corner tank it was a nightmare to scape I eventually sold it and went back to my 55g long corner tanks suck. Good luck I hope yours turns out better than mine did. Here's a pic
Sethjohnson30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 AM   #3
FriendsNotFood
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

36 gallon corner in better days when my plants weren't dying :P

FriendsNotFood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

ya well, I mean I am not going for an amano style tank or some fancy aquascape. I guess I just want something that I can enjoy looking at my fish and plants in. The 55 long just isnt getting it. Also I like the idea of the added depth. I think its hard to get good layering in the 55 long, it just isnt deep enough.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have been looking more at the backgrounds and I think If use one to block of the back corner it will make the tank easier to scape as well because I wont have that back corner that I feel is an issue with many corner tanks, it will almost turn it into a bowfront in a way since the corner wont be planted.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #6
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

Decided to do a customer foam background after seeing some good results on the web. Here is what I have so far.

Also took some old soap bottles and relabeled for my fertilizer mixes.

Turned my old tank basically into a plant farm. I stuck trimmings everywhere basically to try and grow as much plants I can for the new tank.

Last edited by carpalstunna; 04-18-2012 at 03:08 PM..
Old 04-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

Added another canister so that when I go to cycle the new tank, I can leave the old tank running and use a filter with established media. The background is coming along, I will have to take some more pictures.

Plants and fish are doing well in the farm.

Last edited by carpalstunna; 04-18-2012 at 08:21 PM..
Old 04-18-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
mattrt09
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

i think that corner tank looks great! and if your using established equipment and plants im sure it will be a cakewalk
mattrt09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
Algae Beater
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

i prefer cube tanks to corners, much easier to work with
Algae Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #10
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think I will enjoy the challenge of corner. I really think I can make it work and have some ideas, it will be something different. Everyone has cubes, not many corners. I have seen a few done well. Now I need to come up with a clever name for it, like "slice of nature". Get it because its shaped like a piece of pie. HA.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
indigo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpalstunna View Post
"slice of nature"
hahaha I like it you should totally name it that.

Hows that background going?
Old 04-20-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

good I have two coats of mortar on. Its hard to get different colors layered without totally coloring over the first. We will see. Its a litte more brown that I want right now. I will take some pictures. I just keep layering on until it looks like I want.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
vincenz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

I can only imagine scaping a corner tank..

I wouldn't layer the brown and black substrates, to be honest. I did that once and regretted it, both of them eventually get mixed in with each other when you start to move things around. Looked awful.
vincenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

There was a store aquarium adventure in columbus that had a really well scaped corner tank. I mean its not going to fall in line with a style but I feel good about how it will turn out.

Ya I decided to go all eco complete for that reason and the amazonia is nearly impossible to find right now. I will upload some more pics this weekend.
Old 04-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
carpalstunna
Planted Tank Obsessed

Still a work in progress I think I am going to add some darker color to it either a blackish brown or dark gray.