33g shrimp playground! Pics!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-26-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
vincent201089
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

33g shrimp playground! Pics!

Quick info,

Here's is just a demo of my future shrimps rack plan. Hope I would learn many things from this tank. Please note that this is my first attempt keeping these little guys, so if you see whatever I'm doing wrong, please let me know. Thanks first.

Here's the plan: I put this tank in my bedroom, so I want something that looks ok but not a planted tank because this is for shrimps.

Day 1

Water parameters: Air pump is on 24/24.
-pH: 6.3 (after 12h running air pump)
-gH: 0
-kH: 0
-TDS: 55
-Temp: 20-22
-NO3: waiting for test kit.
-Lighting: 10-12h
-Co2: running solenoid a little more than 1bps with light

Equipments: here's my first tank and everything I'm using is based on people that have great shrimps tank setup from all over the world.
- Tank: Mr Aqua 33g rimless tank.
- Filter: Eheim 2217 and UGF run by air pump, quite not sure about bio sponge filter, looks ugly to me.
- Substrate: around 14l ADA new Amazonia over 1 layer of small red java rock.
- Substrate additive: ADA bacter 100, ADA clear super, Mosura Old Sea Mud Powder, Mosura BT-9.
- Lighting system: DIY 12x3w cree xp-g cool white and 4 cree blue moon light.
- CO2: around more than 1 bps, I know crystal shrimps don't like CO2, I use this to let my moss, ferns grow as fast as possible before I'm done with cycle. After that, I will lower the CO2 amount less than enough for the plants.

Plants: fissident, java ferns, peacock moss, moss ball, needle java fern, some rare crypt and some Buces. Those plants don't require much care but they are still nice and are perfectly for shrimps setup.

I wanted a 30x17x14 tank but don't wanna pay extra money to custom built it, so I decided to go with Mr Aqua 24x17x17 33g tank

The good thing is I'm living 3 blocks from Marine Depot, so I don't have to pay or waiting for shipping. the bad new is the tank I want is out of stock, and I have to wait for 2 more weeks.

Got the Eheim 2217 from MD too.

I ordered 2 9l new ADA bags with some ADA bacter 100, clear super and also 2 bottles of bacter ball and some ADA bee shrimp food. Crystal shrimp like to EAT ADA aquasoil and bacter ball, so I bought 2 of them.
I know many peoples will think I'm crazy on spending money buying them but I just do what I've heard from other high grade shrimp breeders and I just wanna give my shrimp the best playground. BTW, I can use those for my future setup also.

Here's the tank with UGF I got from 3bay

That's it for now, still waiting for my shrimp foods and water conditioners and other stuff.

Last edited by vincent201089; 06-14-2012 at 05:32 AM..
vincent201089 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

That's an interesting UGF filter. I guess the only thing that comes to mind is to utilize the height well since shrimp normally only stay near the bottom of the tank. Maybe with either tall driftwood or some moss walls.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
Mike Hawk
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Mike Hawk

very nice, you should post a journal about this tank in the tank journal section of the forums.

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, Give a man a bank and he can rob the world. -Unknown
Mike Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

wow. nice investment... you better have some SS+ grade tankmates in there ...
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 04:11 PM   #5
shrimpnmoss
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss

Looks good Vincent.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
vincent201089
Planted Member

Quote:
That's an interesting UGF filter. I guess the only thing that comes to mind is to utilize the height well since shrimp normally only stay near the bottom of the tank. Maybe with either tall driftwood or some moss walls.
The UGF I'm using is just a regular one. I prefer this type than the pipe one.
I really want a 30x16-17x14 size, the 20l is quite small for my DW that I already ordered.
Quote:
very nice, you should post a journal about this tank in the tank journal section of the forums.
I think it's better to post it here because shrimp tank quite less updated, and I think I can get more opinions from other shrimper here.
Quote:
wow. nice investment... you better have some SS+ grade tankmates in there ...
Yeee...eaaap. I'll start with some SS grade and go up later.

Quick update: substrate and additive
I'm not sure about using lava rock. I can use more ADA instead of lava. Some people says it will raise pH but many guys here have been using them with great result. So, lets give it a try. Another reason I wanna use lava rock is first, they are good house for bacteria. Moreover, I'm gonna tie moss, scape tank with lava rock anyway. So having a layer off it is just fine.

I cut a plastic window screen and place it on top of the lava rock to separate it with ADA because I don't want ADA gets between the lava rock, and this also raise my substrate a little more, so more flows go through my substrate---> good for shrimps.

Over it is a thin layer off ADA, just enough to cover the entire substrate before I sprinkle additive

For the additive, I'm using ADA bacter 100, ADA clear supper, Mosura old sea mud and BT-9. I wanna give my substrate plenty of good bacteria.
Look like salt, pepper, chilli powder to me
Old 03-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Mike Hawk
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via MSN to Mike Hawk

Are you just running the UGF with air pump?

The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -Albert Einstein

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank, Give a man a bank and he can rob the world. -Unknown
Mike Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #8
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

While there might be small tweaks to the set-up that some of us would make it looks like you have all of the key ingredients in this set-up and you should be good to go.

Pretty well thought out and put together shrimp tank.
madness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #9
eklikewhoa
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

Isn't there some sort of coating on window screening that isn't good for aquatic life?
Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
vincent201089
Planted Member

Quote:
Are you just running the UGF with air pump?
Yes, just let the air stone go all the way down, touching the UGF.
By using UGF (doesn't matter how you set it up, pipe, this type) you will turn your entire substrate into a huge biofilter. You can also connect your filter inlet to the UGF but doing this may decrease your substrate's using life. Using air pump is enough and you're good in 12-18 months depends on its thickness. As long as it can keep low pH, it's still ok to be used.
Quote:
While there might be small tweaks to the set-up that some of us would make it looks like you have all of the key ingredients in this set-up and you should be good to go.

Pretty well thought out and put together shrimp tank.
Thank you, sir. I'll try not to mess it up too much. The simpler, the better, less maintain, less stress and better result.

This setup is just for letting me know some basic information about crystal shrimp and help me to repair for my future shrimp rack.

Quote:
Isn't there some sort of coating on window screening that isn't good for aquatic life?
I'm using the fiber glass one and I think it's ok. If there's any coat, I think it's just epoxy and I think epoxy is ok when it's dry. There's a thread discussing about this I they said it's ok.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
madness
Wannabe Guru

Having screwed around a bit with shrimp tanks I keep becoming more and more convinced of the value of just doing it right to begin with. Get the proper substrate and filtration options and don't screw around.

There are all sorts of ways to have success keeping bee shrimp but if you have the ability to do a high quality (and stable) set-up then it seems to pay for itself via shrimp health and reproduction down the road.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
vincent201089
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madness View Post
Having screwed around a bit with shrimp tanks I keep becoming more and more convinced of the value of just doing it right to begin with. Get the proper substrate and filtration options and don't screw around.

There are all sorts of ways to have success keeping bee shrimp but if you have the ability to do a high quality (and stable) set-up then it seems to pay for itself via shrimp health and reproduction down the road.
Exactly. I have been doing online searching for few months before I decide to do this.

There's many ways to keep these shrimp. One of them is choosing the right products that are proven. At least, it will give your shrimp the idea environment, the rest is your experience.
One thing I have learned is keep them alive is a thing, grow them, breed them successfully is another thing. So, I'll try my best. Failing is the beginning of your success.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #13
madness
Wannabe Guru

What is your water change plan?

With a larger tank like that and great filtration then hopefully you can do smaller water changes in order to increase stability with water parameters.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:38 AM   #14
diwu13
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

So the shots of the tank with the substrate, you ended up moving the uplift tube off to the back right instead of having it dead center in the tank right? Or do you have two seperate of these tanks o.O?

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆ Twin 10G Shrimp Tanks & 20L Grow Out Tank
diwu13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 02:29 AM   #15
bostoneric
Happy Happy Happy

PTrader: (31/100%)

this is very similar to a tank i built a couple months back.
I used a more typical UGF not the individual blocks like yours, I also did a layer of lava rock, then thin layer of substrate additives before final layer of substrate.
BUT I did connect my Eheim 2215 to the UGF.

good luck!
bostoneric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
benibachi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.