Do fish that grow up in planted tanks develop more color?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 03-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #1
5sh
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do fish that grow up in planted tanks develop more color?

I was just wondering,

Every fish that I've seen that was in a planted tank always seemed to develop more color. I have never taken a fish away from a planted tank and see how it looked in a regular bare glass tank but it seems as though the fish that grow up in these planted tanks seem to look more vividly colorful.

For example the roseline sharks tend to develop green on top of their heads and their bodies have a green/silver sheen to it and the roseline stripe is more deep red and striking.

is this because of the lighting effect or the light of the plants and the darkness of the gravel that brings out the colors in the fish?

I really don't know why it seems like these fish are more colorful than their non-planted counterparts.

I was wondering if you gurus had a say on this.

example:

vs.

thanks
5sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #2
eklikewhoa
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)

I think that fish kept in a planted aquarium are normally those that are suitable for those water params and being in familiar params is what gives them the great coloration, that and the lower amounts of bad minerals and nutrients that are absorbed by the plants.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
brainwavepc.com
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Optical illusions. More vivid colors of the surroundings added to better lighting and hues usually equals fish looking better.
brainwavepc.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
JackieP
Algae Grower

In regards to those two photographs, it's clearly not a fair comparison. The lighting and photography have more to do with the colour of the fish than the plants.

But just like all pets, and even humans, a more natural diet and lifestyle will ceate a more beautiful creature.
JackieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 AM   #5
5sh
Algae Grower

all lighting effect?
Old 03-27-2012, 04:21 AM   #6
pandesol
Algae Grower

I'm no guru but I would say that it's a combination of a quality environment combined with quality care and appropriate lighting that lend to the full color in fish. Like anything else that is provided optimum conditions, fish will also look great and more colorful.

Specific to the two photos used....I would bet dollars to donuts that the first capture was likely done with a high quality and fast lens and carefully planned lighting and just overall good planning of the composition of that shot. Lighting and white balance settings on the camera used can greatly affect the the color temperature, hues and contrast of the resulting picture. That capture was then probably also followed up with some photo enhancing.
The second capture doesn't really look like a whole lot of thought went into composing that particular photo. The flash is direct which causes that bright contrast "wash out" look versus the first photo which appears to have relied on a bounced or diffused flash.
I agree that the two photos used probably don't accurately represent what a person standing in front the two aquariums set up side by side would actually observe.
pandesol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:41 AM   #7
TWA
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Fish stand out against dark backgrounds and plants. Plus a lot tend to "darken themselves" to "blend" in. So when you put them in a bare bottom tank they lighten up, thus looking less vivid.
TWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
Sukhoi
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Sukhoi

From what I seen in my years of fish keeping is plants help create a more healthier environment, which creates healthier, more active and colorful happy fish.

Like other members stated, those pictures are captured by different camera and enhance. It hard to compared those pictures with those factors.
Sukhoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #9
5sh
Algae Grower

I find it hard to believe the healthier environment tidbit

if you maintain excellent water quality a fish shouldn't look better in a planted aquarium just because it's planted, yet they almost always do

take discus for example. daily water changes and poop vac and up to 5x feedings per day on a barebottom undecorated tank. Yet I find it hard to believe a discus can be fed as well with water changes and gravel vacs 1x per week and less feedings to prevent fouling of water for plants
Old 03-27-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

With some fish it has to do with feeling safe. An example is cherry barbs. In a bare tank, they're often washed out like in the pet store. In a planted tank, they're super saturated red.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #11
chiefroastbeef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

First photo was taken with a decent camera with lighting from above, either super bright aquarium lights or a camera strobe. Plus, that photo could have been edited in post editing to increase contrast and vibrancy.

Second photo is likely taken with a point and shoot camera with the onboard flash.
chiefroastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #12
zachary908
Canon pimp #002

PTrader: (38/100%)

First photo was taken by Niick (Speedie 408) Enough said! Nick is a pro.

Canon Pimp Club #002
Honeycomb and friends club
zachary908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
OverStocked
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)

For starters, the difference in quality of pictures is huge. I have had beautifully colored fish in non planted tanks.... and I've had hideous fish in planted tanks.... I think good, clean water with appropriate conditions is the key.
OverStocked is offline   Reply With Quote