Nick's ADA 120-P Journal "THE SEQUEL" - Updated 4/29/14 **NEW SCAPE** - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #31
chiefroastbeef
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Wow, that is an amazing looking tank. I want to rescape now...

Thanks for the inspiration.
chiefroastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #32
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

Lks great man! The scape is awesome and love the rock! Any fish ideas yet??
Old 03-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #33
speedie408
ShrimpKeeprExtraordinaire

PTrader: (391/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
I gotta try because I don't have your connections and Japan is bogarting what is left from what I've read. There are some pretty cool looking rocks up in the hills and mountains here in S. Ore. The Siskiyou mountains are particularly interesting geologically and botanically. Lots of granite, marble and other metamorphic rock. Might as well snag some Manzanita while I'm up hiking around.

I just looked on E-bay and the Odyssea CFS 500 was a reasonable $60. What was bad about the Eheim?
These rocks are on loan from my local club buddy only . Now I can see why he didn't want to sell them.

The Eheim Pro3 is rather weak for it's size IMO. Also it has a badly designed head unit that leaks via the primer button seal after less then a year use. I almost scrapped it until I found out that you have to open up the head to lube up the primer seal. Also, if your power goes out on the unit, you have to open up the canister, lift up the head, spill 16oz of water all over the floor, seal it back up, and then press the primer button to get the flow going once again. Otherwise, good luck trying to reprime with the primer button lol.

The CFS 500 only takes a click of a switch to get the water flowing and even if there's a power outage, it kicks right back in once there's power again. It also has much more flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef View Post
Wow, that is an amazing looking tank. I want to rescape now...

Thanks for the inspiration.
Glad you like it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalltheway View Post
Lks great man! The scape is awesome and love the rock! Any fish ideas yet??
Thanks dewall! I'm thinking about getting a school of Sawbwa Resplendens... We'll see what happens . Def some Amanos for initial tank maintenance crew.
speedie408 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #34
Uptown193
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkan0228 View Post
What would you say is the secret to crystal clear water? Plenty of flow?
Excellent filtration and water changes
Nice scape.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #35
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedie408 View Post
My place is wayy too small for a club meet bro and you know it. No bueno lol. Later when I get a house, for sure.
Road Trip to So-Cal perhaps
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #36
2wheelsx2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Nice restart. I always like the nice clean look of a new scape before it matures, for some reason.
Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
2wheelsx2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #37
speedie408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown193 View Post
Excellent filtration and water changes
Nice scape.
Water changes def help out. A good filter goes a long way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
Road Trip to So-Cal perhaps
I am planning to come down to Disneyland with the fam this Spring... maybe I'll hit up a SCAPE meet while I'm at it lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
Nice restart. I always like the nice clean look of a new scape before it matures, for some reason.
Yeah, it looks clean... but not for long. Algae is about to bloom soon lol. I know what you mean though. Sometimes when i look back to the beginning of my journals, I kinda wish the tank still looked that way. We'll see what this tank turns into.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:53 PM   #38
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Nick I like you tanks from the beginning all the way through to the final R.I.P. out. You've learned a lot as you have progressed through several tanks & their scapes. People can't get this kind of knowledge from reading books or surfing the internet. You only get it from doing, making mistakes, and learning from the experience. I've learned a lot from you my friend, but I won't progress until I actually build several more scapes myself.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #39
sundragon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Nick I like you tanks from the beginning all the way through to the final R.I.P. out. You've learned a lot as you have progressed through several tanks & their scapes. People can't get this kind of knowledge from reading books or surfing the internet. You only get it from doing, making mistakes, and learning from the experience. I've learned a lot from you my friend, but I won't progress until I actually build several more scapes myself.
I agree with this totally - It's like a continuous experiment.

This tank is beautiful!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #40
speedie408

Quote:
Steve,

You're right sir, I've learned quite a bit from my experiences alone. Also, much thanks to this wonderful site for my early days in this hobby. Without the help from some of our veteran members here, I would still be using clown puke and plastic plants

I'm glad my journals are able to help folks such as yourself because I know at times my updates can be rather uneventful lol. Thanks for that and for sticking around.

Keep scaping my friend! Most importantly, have fun, and make a little side cash to sustain this obsession of ours.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #41
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

Any gripes about the oddysea filter? Ive been wanting to get a canister and get rid of my HOB's but cant drop hundreds of dollars on some plastic and a pump. $65 shipped off ebay seems to good to be true.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #42
speedie408

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwheeler91 View Post
Any gripes about the oddysea filter? Ive been wanting to get a canister and get rid of my HOB's but cant drop hundreds of dollars on some plastic and a pump. $65 shipped off ebay seems to good to be true.
This is the new design that no longer uses the stiff green hoses. I like this filter alot. My only gripe would be that it doesn't come with any filter media other than sponges. I went ahead and added a 2" layer of Eheim substrat pro myself and I've only washed it once since I've bought it. I think I've had it for almost a year now.

Perfect bang for your buck canister. Not recommended for tanks smaller than 40g.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #43
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

Quote:
This is the new design that no longer uses the stiff green hoses. I like this filter alot. My only gripe would be that it doesn't come with any filter media other than sponges. I went ahead and added a 2" layer of Eheim substrat pro myself and I've only washed it once since I've bought it. I think I've had it for almost a year now.

Perfect bang for your buck canister. Not recommended for tanks smaller than 40g.
So why is it that for some people it doesn't work? I've read reviews that involve leaks and whatnot.
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #44
kwheeler91
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I wanna put it on my 55 so no problems there. Probably take the media out of my aquaclears and use them and some terra cotta pots or somethin cheap.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:52 AM   #45
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Steve,
...Keep scaping my friend! Most importantly, have fun, and make a little side cash to sustain this obsession of ours.
Funny you mention this. Last weekend I did a quick and dirty hack of my tank and a medium Tupperware container's worth got me $25 store credit at an LFS. They were ecstatic with the size and quality, but to me it was just excess weeds

I should invest in high-end plants like you and 100% pay for the hobby at a much higher level.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote