More oto death, but strange.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 04-27-2005, 09:22 AM   #1
Wiggawam
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

More oto death, but strange.

I bought two otos about a week ago and slowly acclimated them so they would not stop eating and lose the bacteria. Went well, they were sucking all day long and got a heavy black streak with dark brown coloring until today. I walk in and one oto is swimming on it's side when it was attempting to and had turned stark white, I mean no color except the eyes. Yet my other oto was munching away just fine and actually a tad bit more active than usual for the daytime. I am testing my water tomorrow but has this happened to anyone else or is it just a freak oto?
Wiggawam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2005, 01:37 PM   #2
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Sorry about your little Oto. Doesn't sound too good there...

This site has lots of good info on Otos and explains about the "fragility issue" of new Otos. MOD - Mysterious Oto Death.

http://www.otocinclus.com/index.html

Hope this helps a little and good luck with the remaining Oto. I really dig these little guys. I'm almost through my first week with 2 (1 loss the next day) and picked up 3 more yesterday and all are going strong this morning. (Knock on wood!)
Kathy - EHEIM Step-pimp #148!

20gal, Flourite/Gravel, 3.25wpg, AC-150, DIY CO2, part-time 12V AA UV, heavily planted, 2 Keyholes, African Butterfly Cichlid, Neons, Clown Pleco and 4 Otos

180gal Malawi community (step-mom), Eheim 2217
GTApuffgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 01:41 PM   #3
cake fan
Planted Member

I'm sorry as well
cake fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:27 PM   #4
Wiggawam
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTApuffgal

This site has lots of good info on Otos and explains about the "fragility issue" of new Otos. MOD - Mysterious Oto Death.
Seems to be since I picked up four new ones to keep my little guy company and they settled right down and started munching.
Wiggawam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:30 PM   #5
uncskainch
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to uncskainch Send a message via MSN to uncskainch Send a message via Yahoo to uncskainch

I'm sorry about your oto. I got a group of three initially and one died after a week or so without any real sign of illness prior to that other than a little pale color that day. (Maybe similar to your oto who turned pale and died?) I picked up three more and my troupe of five has been happily cleaning the tank and eating cucumber slices ever since. I hope your new otos adjust to your tank readily and do well for you.
uncskainch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:50 PM   #6
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Good luck on the new ones! I am not ready to relax with mine yet - although I got a full head count of 5 - Yay! And bellies are full - in fact one of them was up against the glass and you can see the big belly pressed up against it. Kinda cute...

Be sure and throw in a slice of zucchini or cucumber or something to be on the safe side. Like the site said, they are often not fed well in the LFS. I have no shortage of algae (ahem), but just to be safe.

LOL - I found one of the Otos and the clown Pleco ON THEIR BACKS sharing the zucchini a little while ago! Too funny!
Kathy - EHEIM Step-pimp #148!

20gal, Flourite/Gravel, 3.25wpg, AC-150, DIY CO2, part-time 12V AA UV, heavily planted, 2 Keyholes, African Butterfly Cichlid, Neons, Clown Pleco and 4 Otos

180gal Malawi community (step-mom), Eheim 2217
GTApuffgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 12:49 AM   #7
jonathan03
Algae Grower

Most otos are caught wild so there are always some weak ones from the shipping. Stores get in a lot of them at a time so wait a few days for the weak ones to die and get the healthy ones. The healthy ones can last several years.

Five otos is much better than 2 since they like company.

You should watch your nitrates too. Otos can be sensitive to them. Keeping them under 20 ppm is idel. That should be no problem if you have enough plants. The nitrates in my palnted tanks often hit zero so I always have to add nitrates.
jonathan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #8
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

(Reviving an old thread, don't blame me for doing a search before creating a new topic!)

I have a freak oto death also. I have a 2.5g nano with nothing but 3 amano's and a few rcs.

acclimated the 2 oto's and 5 days later, the smaller of the two died. the larger one is still being his active self.

Just did a water test also, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate/nitrites, 6.8 ph

I figured it was a freak death.. I'm going to see if I can get 2 more this weekend to make 3's a company.
Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 01:45 AM   #9
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Otos are more likely to die withing 48h after introduction and are still at great risk for at least for weaks. Waterfaller (I believe) wrote a good post on the reasons, but in a nutshell, it comes down to stress, malnutrition, and diseases/parasites. As was stated above, otos are usually wild-caught, and some believe that poison is used to catch otos (cf. this page: http://www.otocinclus.com/newoto.html).

On a side note, I may have tank-bred otos for sale in a couple weeks. One of the main issues of oto breeding seems to be that those little suckers (pun intended) like to put their eggs where everyone in the tank can see and eat them.
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:40 AM   #10
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Why do people still catch wild oto if it's possible to breed stronger ones?

If you have them in a couple of week and can ship with heatpacks (it will be cold in a couple of weeks!) I will definitely buy a few. By then, my 18g will be cycled too!
Old 11-08-2008, 06:26 AM   #11
Aquarist_Fist
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Unfortunately, getting otos to breed is still largely a matter of luck. I strongly suspect that excellent water and overfeeding are key factors. My otos live in a community tank. They get pregnant, they display spawning behavior, but as I said, they tend to put their eggs where even the dumbest killifish can find them. I know that if I isolated a pair, they would not breed. Stupid little buggers...
Pimp Club Member #313

Originally Posted by macclellan
my personal favorite is Random Capitalization. It is so Very fun and Surprising.
Aquarist_Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 10:52 AM   #12
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
(Reviving an old thread, don't blame me for doing a search before creating a new topic!)

I have a freak oto death also. I have a 2.5g nano with nothing but 3 amano's and a few rcs.

acclimated the 2 oto's and 5 days later, the smaller of the two died. the larger one is still being his active self.

Just did a water test also, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrate/nitrites, 6.8 ph

I figured it was a freak death.. I'm going to see if I can get 2 more this weekend to make 3's a company.
IME and where I have suffered the least deaths was where I purchased otocats that had been in the aquarium shop for a while. One month or longer. IMHO, this is a good way to weed out otocats which may be more likely to survive. Chances are that if they have been in the shop tank for a while and have big bellies(sign that they are eating and well fed), then they will be more likely to survive, assuming you acclimitize them slowly(I recommend drip acclimitization for a couple of hours) and there are no problems with your water quality.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 11:03 AM   #13
DarioDario
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

You said you have them in a 2.5? Are you feeding them extra vegs and wafer in addition to the algae in the tank
DarioDario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #14
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioDario View Post
You said you have them in a 2.5? Are you feeding them extra vegs and wafer in addition to the algae in the tank
The tank's back glass is completely green/dark green so I figured they had alot of food to munch on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
IME and where I have suffered the least deaths was where I purchased otocats that had been in the aquarium shop for a while. One month or longer. IMHO, this is a good way to weed out otocats which may be more likely to survive. Chances are that if they have been in the shop tank for a while and have big bellies(sign that they are eating and well fed), then they will be more likely to survive, assuming you acclimitize them slowly(I recommend drip acclimitization for a couple of hours) and there are no problems with your water quality.
I didn't know I'd have to drip for a few hours. I used Foster's drop kit for about 50 minutes before netting them in.
Old 11-09-2008, 12:22 AM   #15
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
....I didn't know I'd have to drip for a few hours. I used Foster's drop kit for about 50 minutes before netting them in.
You don't need to acclimitize them that long and may be fine without doing so. In my experience, I just found that the ones acclimitized the longest tended to fare better and survive longer in my tanks than the ones that did not/were not. However, cause and effect relationships are difficult to prove in this hobby, so it is quite possible that other factors(perhaps the ones that survived longer were just healthier to begin with) may account for the difference in survival rates. 50 minutes the way you do it will probably be fine.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote