Planted HOB thread. - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #61
ony
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 271
Default

I wasn't brave enough to go topless

Glad I kept the lid too after watching Godzilla (my biggest armano) testing the defences where the bit of plastic canvas is.






Peace lilly, and Peperomia from Ikea and a bit of Tradescantia from my other tank. I'm growing out some flame moss to make my own moss falls.
ony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #62
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru
 
pejerrey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 1,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ony View Post
I wasn't brave enough to go topless

Glad I kept the lid too after watching Godzilla (my biggest armano) testing the defences where the bit of plastic canvas is.






Peace lilly, and Peperomia from Ikea and a bit of Tradescantia from my other tank. I'm growing out some flame moss to make my own moss falls.
Nice! I would grow more plants in the tank itself tho! Lol!
__________________

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #63
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru
 
pejerrey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 1,931
Default

Wondering if anyone else is doing this?
__________________

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:59 PM   #64
antiquefloorman
Retired Bubble Head
 
antiquefloorman's Avatar
 
PTrader: (18/91%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Woodbine Ga
Posts: 500
Default

I am just getting started. I have two HOBs in the works. Right now just mosses in. Will start other plants later.
antiquefloorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:02 AM   #65
HappyToLearn
Algae Grower
 
HappyToLearn's Avatar
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 54
Default

I ordered some Pothos and Tradescantia zebrina from eBay for my HOB. Can't wait until they arrive!
HappyToLearn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 PM   #66
defiesexistence
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
defiesexistence's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 839
Default

Water-loving orchids

Fittonia in my filter, starting today, in a media basket with lava rock. We'll see if the window gives it enough light. Anything that can be grown as a riparium plant should grow in a HOB.
__________________
But my dear man, reality is only a Rorschach ink-blot, you know.~Alan Watts
defiesexistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:38 AM   #67
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru
 
pejerrey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 1,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by defiesexistence View Post
Water-loving orchids

Fittonia in my filter, starting today, in a media basket with lava rock. We'll see if the window gives it enough light. Anything that can be grown as a riparium plant should grow in a HOB.
Thanks for the link! I will be looking into some flowers soon!
__________________

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:50 AM   #68
Lyctpsis
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Computer Chair, NE
Posts: 7
Default

Oh my... these look absolutely stunning.

Out of curiosity, if I pick up a plant that's been grown in dirt and just pop it in a filter, will I have to worry about the old "dirt roots" dying off while new ones grow? Or do they tend to adjust with few problems?
Lyctpsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 05:19 AM   #69
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru
 
pejerrey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 1,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyctpsis View Post
Oh my... these look absolutely stunning.

Out of curiosity, if I pick up a plant that's been grown in dirt and just pop it in a filter, will I have to worry about the old "dirt roots" dying off while new ones grow? Or do they tend to adjust with few problems?
In the case of the zebrina you see in my filter, I just rinsed it up well and some leaves died, just keep an eye on it and remove decaying stuff in the beginning.
__________________

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #70
PDTempest
Newbie
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Oshkosh
Posts: 1
Default

I really want to do this, but even after reading through the forum a couple times I am still a little confused on where to put the plants in the HOB. I have a 5 gallon pillar shaped shrimp tank with live plants in it with a 30 Whisper HOB on the back with filter material and biomax ceramic. Where do I put the plants? What are some easy to find plants that wouldn't be too costly to work for this setup? I really want something that will cover up the top of the HOB as the cover will obviously be off...
PDTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:06 AM   #71
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDTempest View Post
I really want to do this, but even after reading through the forum a couple times I am still a little confused on where to put the plants in the HOB. I have a 5 gallon pillar shaped shrimp tank with live plants in it with a 30 Whisper HOB on the back with filter material and biomax ceramic. Where do I put the plants? What are some easy to find plants that wouldn't be too costly to work for this setup? I really want something that will cover up the top of the HOB as the cover will obviously be off...
Use the filter pad to brace plants. The first pic is a 10gal and 2nd is a 5gal.

Anything from duckweed, dwarf water lettuce, arrowhead, pothos, zebrinas, jasminium, lobelia, herbs such as cilantro, cloves. The large zeolite or ceramic stuff is good to brace plants also
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10gal.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	50315  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MINT_Peace lily.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	50316  


Last edited by AirstoND; 07-06-2012 at 01:08 AM.. Reason: size
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 AM   #72
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,451
Default

Oh and don't forget high output lights for submerged plants also.

I recommend parabolic CFL spot lights otherwise.
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:35 AM   #73
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru
 
pejerrey's Avatar
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Oakland, California
Posts: 1,931
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstoND View Post
Use the filter pad to brace plants. The first pic is a 10gal and 2nd is a 5gal.

Anything from duckweed, dwarf water lettuce, arrowhead, pothos, zebrinas, jasminium, lobelia, herbs such as cilantro, cloves. The large zeolite or ceramic stuff is good to brace plants also
Wow! 0_• !
Awesome looking HOBs!
What is the flowering purple plant and the fern looking one in the same HOB?
__________________

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:03 PM   #74
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,451
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
Wow! 0_ !
Awesome looking HOBs!
What is the flowering purple plant and the fern looking one in the same HOB?
I'm not sure but it smells sweet and I got it from a the pond's edge as a fairly high (~4ft) flowering stem. It currently is sprouting new buds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rebudding.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	50373  

AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #75
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,451
Default

The fern one is jasminium polyanthum, I also added a madagascar jasmine stem though it's a bit wilted (it's getting too crowded for light), but I figure it's what enables them to flower.
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012