Macro lens - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 04-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #16
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teah View Post
if you have a tele lens, May I suggest a Raynox 250? This photo I took with a cheap Super Takumar 70-200mm lens ($50) and the raynox. The size of the fly is 2/3 of the shrimp.

The fly by Tea.H, on Flickr

The fly by Tea.H, on Flickr
How does this change the minimum focusing distance of the lens, if at all? I assume it does, shooting a telephoto that far away with that crisp is unfeasible... lol
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #17
teah
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
How does this change the minimum focusing distance of the lens, if at all? I assume it does, shooting a telephoto that far away with that crisp is unfeasible... lol
Hi, Raynox helps reduce the minimum focusing distance to around 20~30cm. This was shot at the minimum distance, a manual flash YN 560 from left/right top.

Best thing is, with Raynox, AF still work great. But for best result, I use MF and shift my body back & forth.
teah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #18
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Nice. I ordered some super duper cheap extension ring set yesterday. I was at a park on Thursday and I saw this guy there for the same reason (photog) and he was getting some sweet shots with a T3i. Macro shots, that is. So I asked him what lens he was using, assuming he was knowledgeable on the subject (lol) and he says, "I don't really know man, but man, it works great. I got these cheap extension rings for like 8 bucks shipped on amazon and they work wonders." I think he must have seen the lightbulb over my head at that point, lol.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #19
teah
Algae Grower

Quote:
Nice. I ordered some super duper cheap extension ring set yesterday. I was at a park on Thursday and I saw this guy there for the same reason (photog) and he was getting some sweet shots with a T3i. Macro shots, that is. So I asked him what lens he was using, assuming he was knowledgeable on the subject (lol) and he says, "I don't really know man, but man, it works great. I got these cheap extension rings for like 8 bucks shipped on amazon and they work wonders." I think he must have seen the lightbulb over my head at that point, lol.
LMAO @ the bolds...

Yes, I tried the extension tube too, I even tried reversed lens (hand held). It is no doubt best bang for the buck. But the view finder become too dark for me to see at f8, I that's why I bought this Raynox, and it works like a charm for me.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #20
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Ah, I see. You try to use the widest aperture in this case, correct? At the expense of proper depth of field?
Old 04-08-2012, 02:45 AM   #21
teah
Algae Grower

Quote:
Ah, I see. You try to use the widest aperture in this case, correct? At the expense of proper depth of field?
When using the tube, the DOF becomes extremely shallow, so I have to use f8+. By doing so, the light entering the camera and the view finder is very little, hence I got dark view finder and can't see much to have the correct focus.

That's why I moved to raynox. The view finder is still very bright and clear, plus auto focus work and raynox's glass is very good, doesn't reduce any image quality

P/S: your tank in the sig is super!!! I had one mini too, not ADA of course, but it died haha...
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...-mini-24l.html
Old 04-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #22
mcqueenesq
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
In the long run it's better to get the more expensive name brand camera lenses (Nikkor, Canon) if you can as they hold their value over time and are generally top quality, but getting the other lenses is good too IMO.

+1. I've been able to sell Nikon lenses that I bought used for the same price years later.

The Nikon Nikkor 40mm f/2.8G AF-S DX Micro is next on my wish list.

Mini M
| 60-P | 45-F 1 | 45-F 2
mcqueenesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:34 PM   #23
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Picked up a Raynox for testing purposes, but lacking lenses to test it on (most of my lenses are 77mm). I'll post up some pictures in another thread to go over my take of the lens.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #24
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Would someone run down the differences between the Canon 60 mm vs 100 mm lenses?

I'm looking at getting nice indoor/lightbox shots of my geckos in addition to aquarium photos, and am trying to figure out if spending 2x for the 100 mm is really justified for my DSLR Newb self...
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #25
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

The 100 mm will give you more working distance from the critters you are trying to photograph. Either one would work, but the extra distance will help to not spook the critter and make it an easier process.

45 gal tall high-tech : 2-23-12 update
Complete CO2 Leak Test : How to build a CO2 regulator

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
audioaficionado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #26
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

But that's a disadvantage if I'm trying to take pics from just a few feet, isn't it?

The 100 mm is better if you're working outside with wild animals, but the 60 mm might be a better choice for inside work with small pets (like geckos)?
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #27
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

Depending on what you are shooting, but we're talking inches, not feet. I prefer the longer focal length as the greater working distance (inches) also keeps the lens from overshadowing the object and gives you better natural lighting in some situations.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/index.htm#50

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/index.htm#100

Old 04-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #28
Nubster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
But that's a disadvantage if I'm trying to take pics from just a few feet, isn't it?

The 100 mm is better if you're working outside with wild animals, but the 60 mm might be a better choice for inside work with small pets (like geckos)?
You'll get the same image, you are just a little further away from the subject with the 100mm. A big advantage to that is a lot of critters get spooked if you get too close. If you aren't concerned about that, the 60mm will work just fine.
EVIL Camera Pimp member #1
NIKON Pimp Club member #012
SunSun Pimp Club member #069

20L OEBT/Super Tiger/PFR Tank 20L Yellow Neo tank

Nubster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:06 AM   #29
audioaficionado
Planted Tank Guru

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/60mm-macro.htm
Canon 60mm f/2.8 Macro
Quote:
This Canon 60mm macro is optically spectacular. It works well and has no downsides, other than being only 60mm and only working on the 1.6x sensor cameras.

If you really want to use this for macro, for only about $80 more the Canon 100mm macro is a much better choice. The 100mm gives you both more working room and a more natural perspective. Unless you're only using this on a copystand, you'll thank me for getting the 100mm macro for macro use.

This 60mm macro is ideal if you plan to use it for general photography and only on the smaller sensor cameras. If you plan to do a lot of macro, the 100mm makes it much more convenient. If you think you may eventually get a 1D or 5D, only the 100mm (and old 50mm macro) work on film and 1.3x and full-frame digital cameras.

Old 04-22-2012, 05:31 AM   #30
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post

Depends just how tame your geckos are.

Allow me to explain this in laymans terms....

With the 60mm Canon Macro, to get 1:1 Magnification (True macro, as in the really small becomes really big), the subject, which in this case would be your geckos,....would have to be 3 1/2 inches from the front glass of the lens....anything farther than 3 1/2 inches away becomes simply close up but not macro.

With the 100mm Canon Macro, the geckos can be 6 inches from the front glass of the lens and still get 1:1 magnication (macro). Anything farther away than 6 inches will result in simply close up images, but not macro.

So the question becomes, if you desire macro pictures...can you get the front of your lens within 3 and half inches of your geckos?

Most geckos that will be a hell no, but it really depends on what type of geckos and how tame/hand holdable/non-easily-spooked they are...
TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote