Nano Tank 6.25 Gallon Petco "Arc"
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 09-28-2014, 02:37 AM   #1
Daximus
Got dirt?

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking

Nano Tank 6.25 Gallon Petco "Arc"

Figured I better start one of these, so here goes.

Tank: 6.25 Gallon Petco "Arc" Nano
Light: (2) Fluval Nano Aqualife and Plant LED fixtures
Filtration: built in sump style (media modified)
Substrate: FloraMax
Heater: Aqueon Mini Heater 10W
Co2: Aquatek Co2 regulator and diffuser (paintball)
Ferts: Tons of Flourish Tabs, fish poo, some API Leaf Zone, some Flourish Trace, the rest is a work in progress...
Light/Co2 Cycle: Currently 10 hours, dropping down to 8 soon...

Plants: A bunch of Dwarf Hairgrass in front (eleocharis parvula), 5 Crypts (cryptocoryne wendtii), 2 Amazon Swords (echinodorus "somethingorother"), a bit of Cyperus (cyperus helferi) in back, and some duck weed...

Fish: Betta, 5 Rasbora Tetras, 2 ghost shrimpy...
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

For those of you that remember me, I used to run only dirt tanks...and I miss them. I love Angel fish and Betta's. I'm also riddled with A.D.D., and I'm terrible at photography. This is my first nano tank. So enjoy, lol

Here is the tank empty. I include this only because it is new to the market and a few people have been curious about it. Feel free to ask any questions. So far I love it, it comes with a lid, yet the tank is rimless. It's sturdy and the glass is pretty clear, and as you can see, it's got a large "sump" style filter.

Here is the built in sump. Sorry for the image being sideways...unsure about that. The two plastic pieces on the outside are my light mounts, more on them later. Anyways, I loaded it down with ceramic media...there is a porous sponge where you now see the ceramic from the factory. The sump is huge, for a nano tank. As you can see, I have a heater, the pump, media, a diffuser, a dropchecker (not visible here), a thermometer, and some room to spare.

Here is the sump from above. Now you can get an idea of where the cartridges go and how the system works. It comes with two, a carbon filter, then the media ball thing behind that.

Here is my entire setup from above. The lights are Fluval Nano LEDs. I think one would probably do it, but I decided to get two on a whim. They are very nice lights, but pricey. You can shop around and do better for a nano tank. If I had to guess, one would be low light, two is medium/high...but that is total speculation on my part as Fluval's "par" chart is ridiculous.

Here you can sort of get an idea of how the LEDs are situated within the fixture. Again, really nice lights, but they are pricey. That being said...the hairgrass is shooting runners in less than a week. They do run blue only for a nice night effect, but you have to flip a switch. If you have any questions regarding them don't hesitate to ask.

Here is the left side of the tank. I bought all my plants really small, so they are just getting going. Found all the rocks for this tank in my backyard.

Here is the right side.

Tetras...

The world's toughest shrimpy...

Betta (Sparticus)

Again, my photography shortcomings become apparent. Anyways, here is a full shot...so you can get an idea of how things are situated.

The tank is just starting out, but I'm already seeing runners from my hairgrass. I hope to carpet the front area in front of the rocks, then have some crypts and swords behind the rocks for background plants. The random stem and duckweed are mainly there to help get things started...I hate stem plants, and they hate me back.

As far as the tank goes...the only thing I've done to it was replace the sponge in the sump with a ton of ceramic media. I didn't have to do that, but I'm a sucker for overkill when it comes to biological filtration. I also painted the back of the tank, where the sump isn't, black. Other than that and lights, it's all stock. Speaking of light...the light that comes with the tank is pretty weak. I doubt you would be able to do anything but the lowest of low light plants with it. However, when the tank only cost $65 bucks, it doesn't hurt so bad to go fetch a light.

About the Fluval lights...probably overpriced for what you get...but they are decent lights. The mounting system might put some off though. If you have a rim on your tank it might be problematic. They mount using some sort of 3m adhesive that attaches directly to the glass. The good news is it stays put, the bad news is it stays put...meaning removal will be a pain. Luckily the arm the lights mounts to is flexible, both up/down, in/out, and right/left...and they look pretty snazzy.

That's about all I can think to ramble about right now. Questions and suggestions are warmly received, so have at it.

Also, can anyone identify this Amazon Sword? I've never seen a red one...was at a LFS today and grabbed two of them 'cause they looked cool.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:06 AM   #2
anfield
Planted Member

Be interested to see how this turns out. Looking for a nano tank myself. What are the approx. dimensions of the tank.

Also, Im no expert here but I was led to understand that having a betta, tetras and shrimp in such a small tank was a recipe for disaster?
anfield is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2014, 03:10 AM   #3
agro
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfield View Post
Be interested to see how this turns out. Looking for a nano tank myself. What are the approx. dimensions of the tank.

Also, Im no expert here but I was led to understand that having a betta, tetras and shrimp in such a small tank was a recipe for disaster?
Rasboras known to be pretty docile tetras so won't nip on betta, but both parties would love to take a bite out of shrimps.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:21 AM   #4
Daximus
Got dirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfield View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by agro View Post
Rasboras known to be pretty docile tetras so won't nip on betta, but both parties would love to take a bite out of shrimps.
10x10x17.5, more or less...the depth is 9ish at the edges and 10ish in the middle...bowfront you know.

Rasboras are relaxed for Tetras. Sparticus is moody, but he can't catch the Tetras when he's mad, and he ignores the shrimp altogether. YMMV, every betta has it's own special personality, lol. Nobody has died yet, the herd avoids the Betta, and nobody notices the janitors.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:29 AM   #5
starfire12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (40/100%)

Like the tank. I was thinking of getting those tanks and replacing my ten gallon tanks. I like the idea of the built in filtration.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:34 AM   #6
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have the same light just sitting in the closet with an empty 3g picotope.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:39 AM   #7
Daximus
Got dirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfire12 View Post
Like the tank. I was thinking of getting those tanks and replacing my ten gallon tanks. I like the idea of the built in filtration.
It's really nice. On big tanks, one expects to run a canister and stuff...but for a nano there is nothing better than a built in sump.

I'm over HOBs. Just being able to scoot the thing all the way back to the wall, and having nothing "inside the tank" is winning in my book.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:50 AM   #8
oldpunk78
Algae Grower

PTrader: (110/100%)

That's a pretty cool tank. My last one as a AIO too. If you split that hair grass up a lot more, it will spread much faster. Mowing it down sooner than later will help too.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2014, 04:03 AM   #9
Daximus
Got dirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpunk78 View Post
That's a pretty cool tank. My last one as a AIO too. If you split that hair grass up a lot more, it will spread much faster. Mowing it down sooner than later will help too.
Yea...my patience with planting got the best of me. I didn't separate them nearly enough. I don't know how the "pros" get the little tiny plants to stick in the substrate.

I did give them a good haircut about 3 days in...sure enough the runners started running. From my limited experience, add enough Co2 and you can carpet anything no matter how bad you plant it, lol.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neatfish View Post
I have the same light just sitting in the closet with an empty 3g picotope.
Probably a perfect match for that tank!
Old 09-28-2014, 04:34 AM   #10
NotCousteau
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great post! I bough the 3.7 version and am really excited to get it going! Still thinking about that 6 gallon, too.

Thanks for the post and comments on the other thread. These tanks are so new there's nothing out there about them, but they look soooo good and workable.
NotCousteau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2014, 04:42 AM   #11
Daximus
Got dirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotCousteau View Post
Great post! I bough the 3.7 version and am really excited to get it going! Still thinking about that 6 gallon, too.

Thanks for the post and comments on the other thread. These tanks are so new there's nothing out there about them, but they look soooo good and workable.
Glad I could be of help. I don't sugarcoat things (call it a personality flaw), if there was something bad to say about these tanks I would say it.

The lights suck. That's all I got, they are wonderful tanks.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:48 AM   #12
NotCousteau
Planted Tank Obsessed

You're right about the lights. Although mine is not set up, I can see that the light BARELY even reaches the actual portion of the tank where the fish/plants will be. The light hangs over the filter and very back sliver of the actual exhibit area.

I'm not sure if I'll upgrade. I'll probably try out some low light plants first and see.
NotCousteau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2014, 06:19 PM   #13
Daximus
Got dirt?

Update:

My dwarf hairgrass is sending lots of runners despite my poor planting skills. The dead ones are from the one week DHG haircut I gave them to encourage runner production.

My Crypts and mysterious red Amazon Swords seem to be doing well. My stem plant looks bad, which is pretty typical for me. Spartcus wouldn't pose for decent picture and instead decided to display his back side. SNAFU.

Have been fighting a mild hair algae outbreak. Could be new tank, inconsistent Co2, or too much light. Probably all of the above. I have cut down the light to 8 hours and raised them an inch. Just finally got Co2 where I want it two days ago, so I'm not going to make any evaluations for a couple days.

Stats as of today...
Light: 8 hours, 2 inches above water (~12 inches from substrate)
Co2: 8 hours, just over 1bps (drop checker is green)
Ferts: None yet, except for root tabs.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:27 PM   #14
kman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Those are strong little lights. You're WELL into high lighting territory with two of them on a small 6 gal tank. You might want to cut your photo period a bit.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #15
Daximus
Got dirt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman View Post
Those are strong little lights. You're WELL into high lighting territory with two of them on a small 6 gal tank. You might want to cut your photo period a bit.
You are correct, lol! I completely underestimated these lights. I probably could have gotten away with one, but it didn't seem that bright to me when I had it set up like that. New to LEDs, live and learn.

As of today I'm running 8 hrs and have moved them about 4 inches above the water (14 above substrate). If that doesn't work I'm going to have to cut down on time.

I did some rearranging on the 'scape, but all is going well. DHG is shooting runners, and carpeting is my main concern right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.