ADA Mini-S Iwagumi, Now with 100% more Origami - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #31
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Dumb question, what stones are those? How do you keep the slope with the stones like that?

Oh and why doesn't your ADA tank have the new sticker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #32
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

It actually a mix of Seiryu and Ryuoh. Aquasoil is pretty good at maintaining even an extreme slope as long as you don't disturb it, but I also have a 1" base of powersand in the back that helps.

I got the mini-s before they changed the logo.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:32 PM   #33
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

I had some surface film this morning, so I decided to lower the water level prior to my water change to try and break it up. This is the flow from the mini pipes that I was talking about, it's pretty nice. I noticed however that the back right corner where the intake is situated seems to be blocked off by the main rock. The bulk of the outflow blows across the front of the tank, and then gets trapped in a sort of vortex in the left side before getting pushed back down across the front of the tank in the opposite direction, then around towards the inflow. I may mock up a diagram later to show what I'm talking about. It's definitely affecting the co2 distribution. The left side visibly pearls much more, slowly dropping off towards the front right corner, while that back right has almost no activity at all. It's not a major problem at the moment but I'll definitely have to tweak my filter positioning at some point in the future to maintain even growth.

I gotta say, after seeing it in action, Frank's post on the subject makes a lot more sense.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:31 PM   #34
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

Day 3

Post water change, Can you tell I'm getting tired of front facing FTS? This is the angle that I view the tank from the most, so I figured I'd show that. Like I mentioned previously, I had some surface scum, but lowering the water level took care of that pretty quickly. Tomorrow, I start dosing Brighty K.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #35
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

this looks awesome, im learning so much from all these ada journals. thanks!
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
Old 03-27-2012, 12:03 AM   #36
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

You're welcome! I'm glad that you're able to take something away from them.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #37
cawolf86
Planted Member

PTrader: (14/100%)

Looking great! When you filled did a lot of HC come uprooted? The main reason I am currently doing a dry start is because I was fearful of that - maybe I didn't plant deep enough....
Old 03-27-2012, 01:06 AM   #38
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Silly question Dollface, but do you know if that is the new ADA sticker or the old one? Love the tank, btw
Old 03-27-2012, 01:10 AM   #39
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawolf86 View Post
Looking great! When you filled did a lot of HC come uprooted? The main reason I am currently doing a dry start is because I was fearful of that - maybe I didn't plant deep enough....
I didn't have a single piece uproot on fill up. Aquasoil actually holds plants extremely well, especially when damp/saturated, as long as you're planting deep enough. For HC, though, deep enough is a minimum of 1/4", with a good pair of fine tipped pincettes, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Silly question Dollface, but do you know if that is the new ADA sticker or the old one? Love the tank, btw
My tank has the old one. The solar does as well, all the other equipment has the new logo, though, it's kind of funny.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:23 AM   #40
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

The tank is absolutely beautiful and it isn't even grown in yet...I'm impressed. http://i.imgur.com/JFga6.jpg pops for me. I love it. Can never have too many pictures btw. Keep them coming! Also, what're the filter specs? Model/media/setup/etc.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #41
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
My tank has the old one. The solar does as well, all the other equipment has the new logo, though, it's kind of funny.
Cool, thanks. I like the old one better then, lol. I feel like they ran the old one over with a semi truck and got the current/new one, lol

For the timelapse, you're not taking constant video, are you? Or just a picture a day?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:48 AM   #42
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
The tank is absolutely beautiful and it isn't even grown in yet...I'm impressed. http://i.imgur.com/JFga6.jpg pops for me. I love it. Can never have too many pictures btw. Keep them coming! Also, what're the filter specs? Model/media/setup/etc.
I'm running a 2211 with the ada mini pipes, with the stock package of bio rings, and then 750ml of NA carbon, as advised by Frank for the first month. I have the flow restricted by about 1/4 turn on the intake quick disconnect right now, just to avoid blowing anything around (though even at full blast, that's not really a problem)

Man, that NA carbon though, it was just ridiculous. I haven't used carbon for a while, so I'm not sure if I had just blocked it from my memory, or if the NA carbon is just really bad, but washing that stuff out was horrifying. The water ran solid jet black for almost a minute, and it took almost a dozen rinses to get to the point where the water wasn't visibly stained against my white utility sink. If you've ever dyed your hair with semi-perm color (weird analogy here, but stay with me), especially sfx, the instructions tell you to "rinse with cool water until water runs clear", which is LIES, The water never runs clear. I sat with my head under a faucet for 15 minutes last month with I dyed my hair purple, and it still looked like I was bleeding grape koolaid. That's what washing NA carbon felt like. It was endless.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:51 AM   #43
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Well, as long as it isn't as bad as washing out playsand then I'll be fine. That was rather horrifying.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:57 AM   #44
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Cool, thanks. I like the old one better then, lol. I feel like they ran the old one over with a semi truck and got the current/new one, lol

For the timelapse, you're not taking constant video, are you? Or just a picture a day?
The new one isn't exactly my favorite either, but it's growing on me, I guess.

I'm actually taking about 6-10 photos per day at different intervals, I'll probably only use half of those, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
Well, as long as it isn't as bad as washing out playsand then I'll be fine. That was rather horrifying.
Play sand. Eurgh. Never again.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:01 AM   #45
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
The new one isn't exactly my favorite either, but it's growing on me, I guess.

I'm actually taking about 6-10 photos per day at different intervals, I'll probably only use half of those, though.
Can't wait to see that.