Red chilli information - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 05-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #46
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

Hey Schoolzoo, good to see your making headway and the stand looks great. I ran across this thread and thought of you....
http://www.vivariumforum.com/communi...og-pics-5.html

looking forward to more updates - keep up the fun work!

Old 05-05-2012, 03:07 AM   #47
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks for the link- was great to read through, and see what some else has done for different inverts. Should be able to start cycling the water next week. Think that I'll run it empty for a bit, and do several water changes, just to make sue that everything is well rinsed. Might even just stick to a couple comets for the first bit to stabilize the water.
schoolzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #48
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Great news - over the weekend the female molted I'm hopeful that she was also breed over the weekend and we can try again at the young. I've taken the old shell out of the water, so that I can have it as a science display. She is a different color now - closer to the color of the rocks in the tank., Also during the molt her missing leg has grown back. I'll try to catch a picture of her later today. The male has taken to digging again. I hope that the bigger tank will take away his need to dig.

I haven't made much progress on the new set up lately - was busy getting a team ready for our Envirothon competiton - they won and will represent Alberta in Pennsylvania in July
Old 05-15-2012, 03:19 PM   #49
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Here are a few pictures - the red "crab" is the molt, the crab by the rock is the female after she molted, the last one is the progress that has been made on the false bottom for the new set up. Hope to finally finish that part tonight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	47603  

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	47604  

Name:	011.jpg
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	47605  

Old 06-08-2012, 03:19 PM   #50
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

I know that this has taken me way longer than I expected, but I'm nearly ready to add water and start cycling it - just in time for the school year to end - but it will be easier to care for the critters over the summer if they are in a bigger tank. (I'm going to add the gold fish back to the tank, along with the feeders so that I can have one less tank to worry about over the summer.)
On another note, the male crab has now molted and seems to be doing well. Not sure if the female was bread duriong her last molt, will have to wait and see.
Here is a picture of the little progress that I've made.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	098.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	48817  

Old 06-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #51
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Looks good so far! You and your students did a great job, you should be very proud
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #52
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

Very cool! I didn't realize they had such fuzzy legs or just how big they really are. That molt is amazing! So good to hear they are doing well and their new home is close to being ready for them. Looking forward to more updates.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #53
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

I finally added water this morning. I am pleased with how it turned out (I actually surprised myself as it looks better than I expected when I started this adventure. Still waiting on the "tree" (art has been busy building the sets for the drama class) bu I'm sure that I'll get it this week. I have the small pump going to make the stream across part of the land for now. Will add fish in a couple of days. I'll post more pictures when its completely filled and I have a few fish in it.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #54
steven p
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Great read, wish i had more teachers like you in high school. But did you guys add NaCl or marine mix? I may have misread, but i think table salt nerfed your baby crabs.
steven p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #55
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Thank-you for your comment steven p - yes I did use a marine mix. In my classroom I also have a 130 gallon saltwater reef tank. Not sure what happened to the baby crabs, in her last molt it appears that she didn't get bread again. Hope she does the next time that she molts. The male has also molted now.
Both are in the new set up - and the male has already figured out how to climb the waterfall. I've replace the lid on that end so that it is tighter fitting, hope that he doesn't excape over summer. I'm still waiting on the "tree" from art, but will put that in place in Sept.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:34 PM   #56
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Here are a few pictures of how the new tank looks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	49808  

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	49809  

Name:	023.jpg
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	49810  

Old 09-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #57
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

I know that its been a while snice I last posted - I'm restarting my tank Over the summer the crabs found an excape route. I hope to get it restarted soon. On the up side it will give me a chance to finetune how I had it.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:30 AM   #58
AirstoND
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolzoo View Post
I know that its been a while snice I last posted - I'm restarting my tank Over the summer the crabs found an excape route. I hope to get it restarted soon. On the up side it will give me a chance to finetune how I had it.
This has happened to me as a kid when I used to go to the river and collect them.

BTW is that a Caladium plant in the shower caddie type planter
AirstoND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #59
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Not sure what type of plant it was - it was doing really well, under my grow light out of the tank - I moved it into the planter - and it didn't survive. I think that either it was too wet or that my crabs ate it, as the ivy meet the same fate.
Currently this tank is empty of all living things. I am going to reseal my land mass (the dirt became too saturated as there must be a couple of holes in the bottom), then retry filling it and getting some more crabs. My students reallly enjoy watching them.
This time when I fill it up I'm going to try to be more careful about keeping track of the plants that I put in. Any suggestions of things that I can get that would do well and not be a food source for the critters would be great.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #60
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

The terarium/riparium tank is running again I filled it with water a couple of days ago. Today on our river study some of my grade 9's collected dragon fly nymphs - they are now in the tank. We will see if they molt into the adults. I hope to get crabs again soon - might try a different kind this time, we will see what my local pet store can bring in.
Any suggestions on plants that will do well in the pots/rafts and the soil sections of my tank? The soil for the land part is really wet.