Red chilli information - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 04-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #31
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

sorry to hear you are losing larvae. just a thought to prevent any future escapes, end the background at least 2" from the top, crabs can't climb glass and don't feel bad about losing the lavae, people have been trying to breed some of the caridina species of shrimp(cf. propinqua, amanos) for years and they require almost the same parameters. i have yet to hear about anyone breeding them successfully good luck with the project, i really enjoy seeing teachers who actually enjoy teaching instead of just picking up a paycheck. Kudos to you!!!
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #32
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

After much thinking and "mucking" around with expanding foam I'm changing the plan for the new tank. I will make my false bottom using the egg create and fiberglass
schoolzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #33
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

is fiberglass safe? i would highly suggest you check out dendroboard.com. it's a board for dart frogs, they seriously are the masters of the false bottoms. it's where i got all the info i needed to do my 125g paludarium build.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:05 AM   #34
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

I've posted my same question over on dendroboard. I was in my aquarium supply store today, and asked about fiberglass. They seemed to think that it would be fine. I know that there are solvents in it, but they should be stabilized when it's completely cured.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 PM   #35
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of the "yellowish" color of the water? Because the crabs go land/dirt to the water regularly my water has a yellow color. I've tried adding a few plants into the water, but they don't seem to be helping.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #36
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

Purigen works wonders for tannins and helping clean the water - you might give it a try. Did you find info about fiberglass and if it is fish/crab safe?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #37
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

No clear answer on the fiberglass- although some said no. I can't see that any chemicals would leach out as it is used for making some floating docks and many boats. It is also used in some drinking water tanks. I think that I'm going to try, this way I can also anchor the rocks, and sand down without using silicon.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #38
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff View Post
Purigen works wonders for tannins and helping clean the water - you might give it a try. Did you find info about fiberglass and if it is fish/crab safe?
bio chem-zorb also works well on tannins.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #39
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolzoo View Post
No clear answer on the fiberglass- although some said no. I can't see that any chemicals would leach out as it is used for making some floating docks and many boats. It is also used in some drinking water tanks. I think that I'm going to try, this way I can also anchor the rocks, and sand down without using silicon.
you do have a point, it is used in various marine applications, however, i believe all those items have some sort of clear coat over them. but i really don't believe that once it is fully cured, that it can leech any chemicals into the water.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #40
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

From what I have read it is fine as long as you cover it with dry-loc (?) But then I also found some that said it was ok and other said a no go (did various google searches). Since they are so sensitive, it might be best to go with a two layers? Just a thought since breeding is definitely in their future :0)
Old 04-24-2012, 03:36 AM   #41
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feed back. I was planning on using 2 layers of fiberglass - for strength and stability, as I'm going to line it with rocks. Another reason why I'm leaning towards the fiberglass is the crabs won't be able to "dig" it or pull it apart as I think they might do with the foam. Also to get way from the foam I'm thinking that I'm going to silicon some decorative "bricks" (that are used on the front of houses) to create my waterfall. Will give the crabs more to "climb" and play on.
I almost have the stand/cart finished then I can start to focus more on building the terrain. It is proving to be a bit challenging as I'm doing the building at home, and the tank is at school. Hope to get a lot of it finished this week.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #42
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Been a busy past week - finally had time tonight to redo the frame to build the land part on, and the rough part of what will become the tree to hide the filter intake. My husband has built the stand/cart - now I just need to stain it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	46334  

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	46335  

Old 04-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #43
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Looks good! You going to use silcon and coco fiber on the "tree" or some other substance?
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:33 PM   #44
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

My plan for the tree is to use the expanding foam to get a general shape, then I was going to turn it over to the art class to carve out the final shape and paint it/silicon and coco fiber.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #45
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

It is finally starting to come together - the stand is finished (just need to bring it to school), the land form has one layer of fiberglass, and a few rocks in place, and the waterfall is ready to attach to the tank. (Hopefully I can get a couple of students to do this today)
For the land form I'm going to add another layer of the fiberglass resin, and while it is setting I'll embed some more rocks/gravel. Part of the land is at an angle (towards the front of the tank) I'm going to try to make a small "spring" so that I don't get a stagnate part of the tank in the front. Will post more pictures as its finished.

On another note - due to the success of my set up, my local pet store is now trying the chilli crabs too
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	46813  

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	46814