Red chilli information - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 04-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #16
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

We have aquired a larger tank to use for our crabs. The plan is to spray the back, build a false bottom ect. I will post pictures as we go.

As far as our crabs go - she has released a few times, and is still carrying more eggs. I have learned that the young need salt water, so we will be adding salt. I've also added a false log for the male to hide in.
schoolzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 PM   #17
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

That's great news, how big is the tank you are setting up for them? Sounds like they will be happy to have a bit more room. Do they only need the salt water for the eggs or do they normally like salty water?
Old 04-13-2012, 03:20 AM   #18
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

From what I have learned (from feedback from Dendroboard.com) is that they young need to go through saltwater to brackish water then back to freshwater. I've also learned that it is difficult to raise the young- so I'm leading my students on an adventure. (This is inquiry learning at its finest).

Today we discovered that yes they do like to climb as well - and are good escape artists. I'm glad that we found the escapee before he fell off the filter and onto the floor. The holes around the filter outlet are now sealed off (thanks to some duck-tape). This will make our new build a bit more challenging, and I won't be able to do as much as planned on the background.

I think that the new tank is around 70 gallons. I'll have the students clean it and start the set up next week. First I need to build a stand on wheels to make it easier to move around.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:40 AM   #19
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ahh... A learning lesson for me too! How about an internal filter since you will have a false bottom? I have one of these (the 360) for a small tank but they come in various sizes and could lay on their side under the false bottom. They have a foam block and a small section for bio media if you want to add that.

http://www.amazon.com/Ovation-700-Su...4317188&sr=1-9

looking forward to hear/seeing more updates about your cute little crabs
Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #20
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

For a filter I was thinking of using a canister type (I have one that isn't being used at the momment) and was going to try to hid the intake by building some kind of hollow tree. (I saw a thread that showed one being built, and it could then involve my more artistic studnents) I was also thinking of having the outlet into a pool in the form of a water fall. Now not sure as I want to limit the escape possibilities. This weekend I should be able to get a stand built.

Here's a couple of pictures of other things that are set up in my room. Sorry for the lack of quality - didn't use my good camera.
The plants in the goldfish tank aren't real I have enough other things on the go.
The plants in the other tank are real - just not doing as well as I hoped Not sure what to do to fix it, bu tmy focus has been on the crabs
The other picture is our tomatoes, and other garden type plants. The original plan was to get them to go hydroponically from the fish tanks, but that project has also been put on the back burner due to the crabs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	45598  

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	45599  

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	45600  

Old 04-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #21
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

I had a couple of students clean our "new" tank last week, and I've sprayed the back. Now I'm onto planning and building the land part. I'll post a few pictures of where I'm at with things. I've talked to our art teacher and he is going to have a few students carve out and paint a tree type structure for our water inlet. It will go in one corner of the land part of the tank. The water return will be as a waterfall in the back corner of the water end. I plan on using a milk carton as the form for the expanding foam. Having a square corner to anchor with should make it easier. I'm also hoping that some art students can build the waterfall.
The little pots in the picture is what I'll plant in on the land end. The rest of the space I'm going to fill in with rocks and sand. I'm going to use the expanding foam on the frame that I built using the eggcrate. As the foam is setting I'll embed some larger rocks, aquarium gravel, and the pots. The foam is back, so if I miss some of it with rocks I won't have to paint it too.
I've ordered a couple of pots and rafts from hydrophyte- they should be in soon (I hope). I'll use these under the waterfall on the water end. I'm going to put a heater in under the false bottom. I'll use a submersible on and run its cord up inside the "tree".
Any suggestions for what I'm planning?

On another note - in the current crab tank we have a whole bunch of snails. They must have come in on the bamboo. Both crabs are loving the little log that I put in the tank. The digging and tunneling has stopped. I'll try to get a picture of them with it next week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	072.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	45716  

Name:	073.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	45717  

Name:	074.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	45718  

Old 04-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #22
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

I've painted the back, but still need to do a bit of cleaning on the front. This is a picture of a dry fit of the forms that I'm going to use. My plan is to use the sloped part as a place for critters to "hide" in the water, and give the crabs a way out of th water. I will cover the top with foam and rocks. The top of the flat will also get foamed and rocked, and I'll embed the little pots for some plants. Hope to do that this evening. I also hope to get the stand mostly constructed tonight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	45850  

Old 04-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #23
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ooo... the plan is underway! The exciting part! Just a thought ~ when I was playing around with the pond foam I found the it was easier to let it cure and then use black aquarium silicon to adhere stuff to it. The bond was much stronger, messy but stronger. On the tests bits that I played around with the ones that I used straight foam and sand on did not stand the test of time and it easily brushed off after it cured. I think from your earlier post you were going to use the foam & sand/gravel only? You might play around with it to see what works best for you. Other then that it looks like your off to a great start!

I can't wait to see what the art class comes up with - I bet it will look amazing. I love kids for their creativity and ability to think out of the box.

Keep the updates coming.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #24
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Up date on our crabs - The female appears to have released all of her eggs. Also we are seeing what appears to be hundreds of little crabs. They are in larva form still, swimming inbetween the rocks in the tank. I need to get the new set up finished quickly.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:41 PM   #25
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Very nice - sounds like you are off to a good start. If I may, I would recommend using the bottled spring water rather than distilled water with your tanks, since they are all freshwater. Distilled water has none of the needed elements that aquatic organisms need to obtain from the water column. Bottled Spring water is not only cheaper than distilled, but must meet Federal regulations in regards to food consumption quality and therefore should fall well within the range of desirable for your critters.
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:54 PM   #26
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback. I'm using mostly distilled as we have a still at our school. Some of what I've been adding have been treated tap water. I have added a bit of aquarium salt, and some liquid calcium.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #27
willtwilson

I'd suggest taking a look at www.konolua.com for some great inspiration
willtwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:24 AM   #28
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Thanks for the lead - those are some impressive looking set ups.

I've started the foaming process- in hindsight I should have used silicon to anchor my rocks first, then just use a bit of foam around them. Ended up cutting lots off, and still needing to build more up.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #29
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

It seems that the larvae are mostly now dead Not sure why, water conditions are great, I added a bit of salt and calcium. Perhaps I will have better luck next time. I am still working on a new set up for them. Hope to get at lot done on it this weekend.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #30
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Oh no, I am sorry to hear that. Good luck on the build, can't wait to see more of it and the Chili's in their new home soon.