Red chilli information
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 03-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #1
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Red chilli information

I have a 25 gallon set up in a science classroom as a terrarium. |I"ll try to post pictures in the near future. Nothing fancy as this is my first attempt. There are 4 goldfish, and 5 smaller feeder type fish. With in the last month I have added 2 red chilli crabs. I was lucky enough to get a male and a female. Now my female appears to be loaded with eggs.
Does anyone have any suggestions to successfully see some of the young hatch and grow? I'm thinking of taking her out of the tank and putting her into a plastic tub with land access and filtration so the fish don't eat the young.
schoolzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Ok, I've done some more reading and I know that our set up isn 't that impressive in comparission to some the others out there, but here is what I've been able to find out on my own so far - she should carry her eggs for a few weeks, and the babies will be a larvae at first. She can carry up to 1000 eggs at a time. I've also discovered that the chances of survival aren't in our favour as water contitions need to be perfect.

The first attached picture is our set up, the second is our female crab.

It is also important to note that is set up in a science classroom, and my students are responsible for most of the care. We are learning together about the crabs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	039.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	44492  

Name:	038.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	44493  

Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (430/100%)

Hate to be the naysayer but four goldfish and five others in such a tiny amount of water?

This seems a bit extreme, as goldish produce tons of waste and require a lot of water per fish.
somewhatshocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:11 AM   #4
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Thank - you for your thoughts. It wasn't my intent to have so many goldfish, some students bought two of them for another teacher and her bowl was much too small, so she put them in with mine. At this point everyone seems to be happy, but I'm willing to change things if it seems too crowded. My students are doing frequent water changes, and we are using distilled water.
My main concern at this point is the crabs. Would be a great experience for us (my classes) if we can get some offspring. They have already been a launch point for several dissuussions - as I gain more knowledge about them, I share it with my students.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

Hi Schoolzoo, Sounds like you have a fun project going on. Just a few thoughts and possibly you are doing them already... Have you taken the kids through water quality testing to help them understand how they can see how the water quality can change or remain stable?

You may find that using distilled water is not leaving enough hardness in the water for the crab. I'm no expert but just a thought. From what I have found it seems that they like slightly acidic water I also don't know anything about the crabs but it does appear that you might have a few long term challenges, low water volume, goldfish (create a log of waste impacting water quality and crabs needed pristine water.

By the way what grade(s) do you teach?
Maybe donating some of the gold fish back to a local fish store might be helpful and allow you to focus on the main part of the project, the cool crabs.

Anyway, I don't mean disrespect to question the tank set up, rather just a few ideas. The forums here are a great resource.

Would love to see you keep updating your post as to how the crab and tank are doing.

Duff
Old 03-25-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Thanks Duff - the reason why I've gone with distilled is I've found that our town water that it isn't the best quality - especially for inverts. In my classroom I also have a 150 gallon salt water reef tank, 25 gallon fresh tropical, and a 5 gallon that is housing a crayfish. Yes I have gone over water tests with all of my students, as well as other things to look for in the tank as signs of stress.

Currently I have 2 classes of grade 9, one of grade 10 and one grade 11. This semester it has been rewarding in that several of my students are also setting up tanks at home and coming to my for advise on what to do, taking videos of their fish and bring it to me. It has lent itself to a lot of great classroom discussions. In grade 9 one of the units that we cover is environmental chemistry so the water tests on the tanks give some real world applications to what they are learning.

I am thinking that after our spring break I'll move a few of the gold fish into their own tank - I'm sure I can track down an extra empty one from. somewhere.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:59 AM   #7
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Sound like you've got tings under control and a great way to help the kiddo's learn! Very cool that your helping the way for a new group of fish keepers!

Be sure to keep us updated on your crab. (I wish I could provide you with a bit more help with them but know very little about them)
Old 03-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #8
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

I have discovered that these Crabs like to dig. Today the male had a cave/tunnel that was about 4 inches deep and 6 long. I am sure that it would have been deeper and longer except that he reached the bottom and end of the plastic tub that I'm using to hold our plants. In addition his tunnel went completely under one of the plants.

So far the female is still carrying the eggs. I'm thinking that it will be less stressful on her if I move the fish completely out of the tank, instead of moving her to a different set up. However that said I am looking for a larger tank that I can experiment with a different set up for both crabs in. (Thanks to all you have posted pictures of your setups as it has given me some ideas)

I've added a mini-palm type plant and a couple of pieces of bamboo to our set up.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's great news on her eggs. Does sound like moving the fish would be a good idea as it sounds like she and the male are pretty happy ~ tunnel digging and all. Looking forward to more updates - Any chance of getting a few more pictures?
Old 03-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
PaulG
Planted Tank Obsessed

Put the goldfish in a larger tank ASAP. In fact a pond as they look like common goldies to me.

Got a tank? Doing it filterless? Add it here!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=221729
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #11
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Spring break is over - good news my female crab is still carrying her eggs, I suspect that she will release them soon as they have gotten bigger. The male is once again tunnelled in. I will have the students later today do a part water change, and move the gold fish into their own tank. I will try to get some new pictures later today.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 PM   #12
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Just to keep everyone up to date on our tank - I've moved the fish into a temporary smaller tank (I've aquired a different one that I need to reseal to be a more permanent home). Our female has started to release some of her eggs, we are hopeful that they will grow. Any suggestions out there to help us acheive this would be great.
Here is a picture of her climbing out of the water today. She still has lots of the eggs.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	45002  

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	45003  

Old 04-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Great to hear she is releasing them - I hope it all works out. Cute little red crab she is! I sure wish I could help you out. You might also try dendroboard.com they have a larger community focused on frogs and other critters of that nature. You might find someone who has experience with them.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:32 PM   #14
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

Thanks Duff - I'll check it out.

On a side note - had my students reseal and paint the back of our newly aquired tank. Did a water test on it today - all looks good to fill and move the fish into a bigger set up next week. Will try to post pictures of our tanks next week.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Very cool, It's so nice when things actually work! Sounds like everyone will be happy now!