Worst purchase ever!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 03:16 AM   #1
lucky28822
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Worst purchase ever!

So I've been unsuccessfully trying to buy some Utricularia Graminifolia on this site. I finally gave in and purchased some from the only place I could find some, Carnivorous plant nursery. I knew since it was a real business, I would be paying more, but I figured it would be worth it. I wrote them to see how big their $12 pieces were so I could judge how many to buy. The response I received was 1.5" X 2" when harvested. Not great, but not horrible. I ordered four, and was excited to get them. I was hoping I could stretch the 12 square inches I had just ordered to plant plugs in two 10 gallon tanks, but at least one.

This is what arrived one week later

It got even better when I opened it up and realized he had thrown in an extra package which made the whole thing look bigger. Normally, I would be happy with an extra plant, but when I didn't even get what I ordered it was just a slap in the face.

This was one package of $12 plant.

All four packages

Here's how much I was able to "plant" with that first package

I don't really call it planting since I can't even tell what the leaves are so there is nothing I can bury.

this is what the whole tank looked like after spreading out the roots on the surface.

My only hope is that the roots send down shoots to take hold. If anybody has any better ideas please let me know.

Now that he has me so mad I'm going to start to split hairs. the full order ended up being $61 because of $13 shipping. When the package arrived it clearly said $6 which means I actually paid $55 for those plants...

Just want to warn everybody and let you know what you are getting yourself into when you order. Maybe it is worth it to you, but for me, I wish somebody had shown me this before I wasted this much money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 03:17 AM   #2
theredseverum18
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Man that is some terrible service, that really sucks. I hope they grow well for you!
Old 03-23-2012, 03:29 AM   #3
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

While the amount is definitly less than you would get from someone on here the plants do look healthy, I'd hate to see you bash them because you did get e 1.5" x 2" square of UG like they stated. You might want to try contacting them and explain that you really misunderstood what they ment by the size and see if they are willing to help you out since it was a pricy order. On the positive side since the plants look very healthy (nice white roots) it will probably do well if your conditions are right, I ussually propogate mine by pulling out chunks of it from the middle of a clump and replanting them and they do fine.

Here is a picture

Hope this helps

Len
Old 03-23-2012, 03:31 AM   #4
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Geez! 12$ a piece!!

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
Old 03-23-2012, 03:36 AM   #5
lucky28822
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacha View Post
While the amount is definitly less than you would get from someone on here the plants do look healthy, I'd hate to see you bash them because you did get e 1.5" x 2" square of UG like they stated. You might want to try contacting them and explain that you really misunderstood what they ment by the size and see if they are willing to help you out since it was a pricy order. On the positive side since the plants look very healthy (nice white roots) it will probably do well if your conditions are right, I ussually propogate mine by pulling out chunks of it from the middle of a clump and replanting them and they do fine.

Len
I'm going to do my best with what is there, but a 1.5" X 2" of yours looks like a ton more than the "same size" I got from him.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
lbacha
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky28822 View Post
I'm going to do my best with what is there, but a 1.5" X 2" of yours looks like a ton more than the "same size" I got from him.
That's only if I tell you I'm selling you a 1.5" x 2" chunk of it. He might have meant you were going to get a 1.5" x 2" bag (which is what it looks like you got) or enough to cover 1.5" x 2" (which each bag probably had enough in) I'm not trying to vouch for him the price is a little steep for what you got, but then again UG isn't all that common outside of us aquarium nerds. I buy a lot of plants and you need to be pretty specific when asking about sized because there is no universal language I have ordered stems and got a 12" piece that was huge growth and at the same time got stems that 12" long and only had a few leaves because it wasn't grown in great conditions. Let me see what's in that tub when I get home and maybe I can send you some more to help get you started.

Len
Old 03-23-2012, 04:28 AM   #7
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

you should have asked for a refund and return service, that isnt even worth $10 as a whole, useless.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
shrimpNewbie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

what he got was a bunch of root, which will eventually flourish but how disappointing
Old 03-26-2012, 04:17 AM   #9
lucky28822
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbacha View Post
That's only if I tell you I'm selling you a 1.5" x 2" chunk of it. He might have meant you were going to get a 1.5" x 2" bag (which is what it looks like you got) or enough to cover 1.5" x 2" (which each bag probably had enough in) I'm not trying to vouch for him the price is a little steep for what you got, but then again UG isn't all that common outside of us aquarium nerds. I buy a lot of plants and you need to be pretty specific when asking about sized because there is no universal language I have ordered stems and got a 12" piece that was huge growth and at the same time got stems that 12" long and only had a few leaves because it wasn't grown in great conditions. Let me see what's in that tub when I get home and maybe I can send you some more to help get you started.

Len
Was gone for the weekend. PMd
Old 03-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
gordonrichards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (333/99%)
Send a message via Yahoo to gordonrichards

People in the forum will sell some pretty nice clumps of UG.

I got some from dollface and I know speedie might have UG currently available.

Your dollars would have gone further, be sure to check the SNS in the future,

-Gordon
Old 03-27-2012, 05:07 AM   #11
lucky28822
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonrichards View Post
People in the forum will sell some pretty nice clumps of UG.

I got some from dollface and I know speedie might have UG currently available.

Your dollars would have gone further, be sure to check the SNS in the future,

-Gordon
I was looking, I even posted a WTB in the SNS, but didn't get any response. It just went so fast everytime somebody offered some for sale, I didn't have a chance. I really wanted to buy from here, but didn't know any names. Thanks for those, I'll probably end up hunting someone down after I recover from this loss.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Vendor reviews are against forum policy.