Ebiken Products - Please help me choose
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-21-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
MsNemoShrimp
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (385/100%)
Question

Ebiken Products - Please help me choose

So I am in a debate for what to purchase since funds are limited and I wanted the best products that will work for my current situation.

I got a 17G Mr. Aqua up and running since yesterday with 100% Akadama substrate. This will perhaps be my most expensive setup yet

My goal is to successfully keep high grade CRS and perhaps Orange Eye Black Tigers from Nick (one day ) In order to achieve that goal I want to be able to be prepared for it. Food, substrate, light, water conditions I pretty much narrowed down, but here comes these "options list" I just saw that I think would help.

I am having trouble picking between:

1. ) Ebiken Nagomi or Ebiken Shou. Both are balls, but which is better in my case?

2.) Will I even need Ebiken Ei for baby shrimps later on?

3.) Ebiken Kou-yang (rock) - Will this even help? I've remembered reading a few things on forums saying this is just a gimmick, doesn't work. Any ideas?

4.) Do I even need any of this to successfully keep high grade CRS, OEBT's, Tigers, etc? Lol. If not I'll just focus my money on food and quality shrimps
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

BTOE's and CRS can interbreed, so always keep that in mind when deciding to house 2 cardina's together.

As for any of the products, are they needed? Probably not. Do they add extra things to the water that should benefit shrimp and baby survival, etc. More than likely, yes. Mineral rocks or mineral powders add lots of trace minerals back that we strip out when using RO water. You add something back to get the basic salts back in the water, but there are lots of little trace minerals that aren't and things like that add it back. For the casual keeper, will you notice a huge difference or not be able to breed shrimp without them? Again, probably not.

If you think though, even if the extra minerals give an extra 2 babies to live from each female and extend the life of the shrimp to get 1 more batch of babies out before dying because they are living in optimal conditions, and the EI helps the babies grows a bit faster so they can breed a month earlier, that may result in an extra 100 shrimp over the lifetime of a shrimp. When you're talking $500 PRL's, $200 blue bolts, an extra 100 shrimp means a lot more profit.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
gtu2004
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
BTOE's and CRS can interbreed, so always keep that in mind when deciding to house 2 cardina's together.

As for any of the products, are they needed? Probably not. Do they add extra things to the water that should benefit shrimp and baby survival, etc. More than likely, yes. Mineral rocks or mineral powders add lots of trace minerals back that we strip out when using RO water. You add something back to get the basic salts back in the water, but there are lots of little trace minerals that aren't and things like that add it back. For the casual keeper, will you notice a huge difference or not be able to breed shrimp without them? Again, probably not.

If you think though, even if the extra minerals give an extra 2 babies to live from each female and extend the life of the shrimp to get 1 more batch of babies out before dying because they are living in optimal conditions, and the EI helps the babies grows a bit faster so they can breed a month earlier, that may result in an extra 100 shrimp over the lifetime of a shrimp. When you're talking $500 PRL's, $200 blue bolts, an extra 100 shrimp means a lot more profit.
under a little tiny assumption that the original shrimps breed and don't die on you
gtu2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #4
gtu2004
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post
So I am in a debate for what to purchase since funds are limited and I wanted the best products that will work for my current situation.

I got a 17G Mr. Aqua up and running since yesterday with 100% Akadama substrate. This will perhaps be my most expensive setup yet

My goal is to successfully keep high grade CRS and perhaps Orange Eye Black Tigers from Nick (one day ) In order to achieve that goal I want to be able to be prepared for it. Food, substrate, light, water conditions I pretty much narrowed down, but here comes these "options list" I just saw that I think would help.

1. ) Ebiken Nagomi or Ebiken Shou. Both are balls, but which is better in my case?

3.) Ebiken Kou-yang (rock) - Will this even help? I've remembered reading a few things on forums saying this is just a gimmick, doesn't work. Any ideas?

4.) Do I even need any of this to successfully keep high grade CRS, OEBT's, Tigers, etc? Lol. If not I'll just focus my money on food and quality shrimps
I keep OEBTs and CRS without any of that. They breed quite prolifically, especially the OEBTs. I never seem to have less than 5 berried OEBT females. First batches of babies are growing and some of them are showing blue coloration already. When one OEBT mom releases a batch, another one gets berried.

But NYC tap water is soft in itself. If you use RO though, then obviously re-mineralizing water is a must. I think NYC tap is perfect for OEBTs, but need some tweaking for CRS' ideals.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
randyl
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hi gtu2004, what is your ideal parameters for CRS and for OEBT? Just wondering and hope not hijacking.
randyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
gtu2004
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyl View Post
Hi gtu2004, what is your ideal parameters for CRS and for OEBT? Just wondering and hope not hijacking.
my tap water is like pH 6.8, gH 2-3, kH 1-2

when added to my OEBT tank with eco-complete and aquasoil, the water changes to pH 7.4, gH 3, kH 1-2. gH and kH should be slightly higher, but I found that OEBTs breed very well at pH 7.4, at least for me. Slightly higher hardness may help with baby survival for some people though.

when added to my CRS tank with eco-complete and more aquasoil, the water changes to pH 6.9-7.0, gH 2-3, kH 1-2. I'm struggling to lower the pH in this tank. The previous tank where a bunch of them got berried in had pH of 6.6 to 6.7 or so with eco-complete before I moved them all to a new tank. All the babies hatched in my new tank and I quadrupled my population 3 months ago but none of them has been berried in this new tank ever since. Babies have grown up and about to reach sexual maturity I believe. Recently i gave up and bought BW Humic. Let see how this goes but I'm more and more convinced that it was seasonal that they stopped breeding during the coldest months.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

No, you absolutely don't need any of that.

I can't even really elaborate because, well, no one really needs those products for shrimp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post

somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
kangshiang
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (131/99%)

My choice (4)
Not necessary at all. I will spend all the $$ on quality food or shrimp for sure.
I have 4 tanks more than 6 years and never add anything not even change the substrate and they still doing great breed like crazy.
Also just set up 3 more tanks without any of those and got more than 300 shrimplets now.
kangshiang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #9
Ebichua
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (82/100%)

You don't "need" any of the items you listed. They're all just bonuses that quite frankly, aren't even worth the money in my opinion.
- The benefits you get from these shrimp balls nowadays are negligible.
- The mineral rock stuff is a total scam as its effects are also negligible, if not damaging, as long as you have the right water parameters.
- The baby food is questionable. Young and old shrimp alike, do go for it and eat it but I see it as merely a small supplement. So it's nice to have but definitely not needed.

Save your cash and focus on food and shrimp.
Keep it simple and you will find success.
Ebichua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (428/100%)

Mineral rock isn't a scam if it's good. Calcium Montmorrilonite & Micronekuton are terrific for shrimp and are both tough to provide unless you're feeding them with expensive foods. The $5-$6 "rocks" you can get on eBay are pretty great, in my opinion.

But I do believe it's best to focus on keeping it as simple and stable as possible. Leaves more money for more tanks!
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #11
Senior Shrimpo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Nevermind on that original thing I said. I don't think many people have tried these products in the US but I know they're quality.

I'm pretty sure you're gonna want the Ei if you don't have a baby shrimp food. But don't write off mineral/water cleansing products as well
Senior Shrimpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
stonedaquarium
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have personally used these products... and they are quality products overall.. the ebiken Ei and Kou are both great products... for mineral replenishment the Ebiken Shou is pretty good.
stonedaquarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
vincent201089
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

I did, doing and will do whatever I think it's good for my shrimps, even if it's a waste of money but why don't give it a try.

If you know or trust Ebiken, just go with it. These products and the others brands will not 100% get your fancy CRS survives, but it will help you to give the best condition for your shrimp tank. If they don't work, I'm sure that those companies closed long time ago.

Here's the thing, some people says that they don't need it, some people says it's a must. But the most important thing is you are the only person who's gonna stay and look and maintain you tank, not those people. So do what ever you need. If we gonna die at the end of this year, lets enjoy life when we still have time. If not, you, me, and others, we can keep enjoying our life next year and next next year too.

BTW, why don't you stick with BW or Mosura products? Many people use those and give +++ reviews.
vincent201089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #14
MsNemoShrimp
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (385/100%)

All this debate over it caused me to be confused now. I know they are rather expensive but some members, obviously must have real luck with them. I might just go with a couple instead of all. The Ebiken Ei sounds promising, but the dosage is too often which I don't usually like doing. 2x a week :/
Old 03-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #15
jkan0228
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)

With baby shrimp food, if you produce plenty of surface area(moss and what not) then they should survive just fine off the biofilm.
jkan0228 is offline   Reply With Quote