What About This?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 03-18-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

What About This?

OK. Still thinking about possibilities for a riparium [as my plants grow out in their temporary home...]

I like duff's waterfall setup so much that I want to have a waterfall too. I saw this while cruising Petco and wonder if anyone has tried it?

http://www.petco.com/product/108700/...escription-tab

It sort of looks like it could be incorporated into a riparium setup. Any opinions?

thanks,

sox

12G Rimless Club
sockfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #2
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

Hi Sox, I looked at that one as well but when thinking/imagining how it would fit in I felt that the water level would be too low and the weight of it too much to be able to secure it to the back. Its pretty heavy. I wish my water level was higher and that I only had one level to the waterfall. Make sure to find the water level your happy with 1st then build the waterfall. Also with a higher water level you might not have the issue I just experienced (below). I ended up with the black canned foam and petty happy with it (about $11 a can in my neck of the woods) and it was light enough to silicon to the glass.

On a side note I just found out that the AC70 ( I think that the size it is) is not good long term. We had a power outage yesterday and the pump was not strong enough to restart the suction up to the waterfall and burned the motor out. (i noticed it this morning and realized the power strip as tripped) I am looking for an alternative. so the waterfall is dry right now :0( I am thinking a submersible filter hidden sideways under the waterfall so it is pushing water up and not pulling the water up. looking at this one: Ovation 210 Submersible Filter or the next size up...

now that my new tank is up I am thinking of doing the waterfall using the little things I have learned so far.... Hope this helps a bit?

good luck!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
lochaber
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'd strongly suggest trying to DIY your own waterfall/water feature. It will be loads cheaper, and you can make it to specifically suit your tank. My first paludarium consisted of a bunch of lava rock siliconed to create a waterfall/background/ledge, and even in retrospect, it looked fairly decent, and was great for growing moss. -granted, this won't pool water the same way that waterfall will, but it's incredibly easy, and pretty cheap (bag of landscaping lava rocks ~$5-$10, tube of silicone ~$8, cheap caulk gun ~$3) - and that will be way more then you need for a single waterfall. Another method I've also used, is to carve up styrofoam - either the rough sheets found in craft supply/floral stores (usually you can get green, if you like that better), the bubble stuff found in building supply as insulation, or possibly even just use electronics packaging stuff. glue/pin(toothpicks work great) enough pieces together to get a rough shape, and then carve it up with knives, melt it with soldering irons/heat guns, poke it with a stick, or whatever until you get the desired shape. then just coat it in an epoxy mix (can also find at craft supply stores, or many hardware stores), and coat the freshly coated piece with sand/peat/dirt/whatever. Take a look around the DIY section, or some of the tank journals for ripariums/paludariums, and you'll see many other ideas. most methods aren't too dificult to do, and I think most also look much better then mass-produced stuff. good luck
lochaber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.