30 Gallon Potted Tank...Low-Light, No-Tech
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
Daximus
Got dirt?

PTrader: (0/0%)

30 Gallon Potted Tank...Low-Light, No-Tech

Here is my 30 gallon "potted" tank. It was started as an experiment for my potted plant idea I may someday try on my 90 gallon jungle tank (link in sig). I'm also using it to learn a bit about photography, so bear with me in that regard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FTS.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	44368

Tank: 30 Gallon Wal-Mart Special Edition
Light: 30 Gallon Wal-Mart Special 18 watt T8 (x2)
Filter: 30/60 Gallon Wal-Mart Special with custom media (quilt floss and sponges)
Heater: Two 50 watt Wal-Mart Specials located in the HOB, eat your heart out ADA
Co2: Whatever the man upstairs decides to grant me
Substrate: Black Diamond
Water Fertilization: Special blend of Shrimp, Snail, Guppy, and Betta Poo...that's how I roll
Substrate Fertilization: n/a (pot per pot basis)
Light Cycle: 12 hours

Driftwood: Little chunk of something I found that broke off of a full grown piece of driftwood
Plants: Lot's of Crypts, Hygro, something I can't figure out...few stems of Bacopa...etc.
Fish: Unknown amount of Guppys (one of those hussies just had another batch 25-75 total, lol), 1 Betta, 7 Ghost Shrimp (for now, apparently the Guppys aren't the only ones getting busy), 12003 snails.

Name:	MiddleLow.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	44369
Middle. I went nuts at Hobby Lobby, picked up way too many large pots along with my small ones. So, I whacked them randomly with a hammer to create the little "village". Keeps with the theme. I wanted to create some structures in the tank for my critters.

Name:	RightSideLow.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	44370
Right Side. This is pretty cool if you ask me. I bundled up my stem plants (bacopa) and used the hole in the bottom of one of the large pots to secure them. Even my upside down pots have plants. That is a little row of Crypt Wendi Green, all potted. I uncovered some of the substrate so you could see. The idea is that in a bigger tank I could completely bury the pots for a natural look. The beat up Hygro in back is potted, then covered with a bigger broken pot upside down.

Name:	LeftSideLow.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	44371
Left Side. Kind of a funny angle, I apologize. I used some of the shards of broken pot from my hammer time (can't touch this) to create little shrimp huts...in case my Betta get's any grumpier than he already is. Looks like some melting large hairgrass too.

Name:	CryptWendiClosup.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	44372
Closeup of my new Crypts. They aren't melting too bad, I'm happy. I love crypts...FYI.

Name:	Scrimp.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	44373
Fat Ghost Shrimp. Nom Nom Nom (That's the noise they make when they eat, Google it)

Name:	BettaInFront.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	44374
Captain Pissy Pants. The grumpy Betta. He is too fat and slow to catch any of the Guppys, but he sure does give them a good run when he is in one of his moods. I like to think of him as a personal trainer. Oh, if anyone actually reads all this, can you identify the plant above them?

The Pot idea:
I love dirt tanks. Mainly because plants seem to like dirt a lot. Dirt tanks have their good and bad points. Great plant growth, less need for fertilization being the two biggies. They also have their drawbacks. Moving plants and giving them the occasional proper vacuum being the two big negatives. With this potted tank I have the best of both worlds. I can rearrange to my hearts content, vacuum the tank thoroughly, still use dirt for my plants, and fertilize individual plants more directly. In addition to that I can completely remove the plants and transfer them (to another tank if I choose) with minimal impact on them. We shall see.

I'm not sure what I'm doing with all the guppies honestly, but some of the juvenals look great. My LFS has called dibs on them. The scrimp [sic] are just there for their janitorial services and "nom nom nom" sounds while they eat. The Betta is in there cause he has no where else to live, and he keeps the guppys on their toes. Most of the plants are cuttings from my 90, except for the new crypts.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Interesting! The last pic is a good action shot. The crypts look like C. lucens or willisii or some mixture of them. Some of them are planted a bit deep IMO.

Personally I am not into the plants-in-pots idea. I used them before trying to keep certain plants under control, but it never worked that well. I mean you can spot feed individual plants whether they are in pots or just planted into the substrate. Transferring aquatic plants isn't a big issue, cutting some or half of their roots off usually doesn't bother them (compared to terrestrial plants/trees).

And if you slow down on the feeding a bit , there won't be that much need for vacuuming the floor.

Photos are good!
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 05:22 PM   #3
Daximus
Got dirt?

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
Interesting! The last pic is a good action shot. The crypts look like C. lucens or willisii or some mixture of them. Some of them are planted a bit deep IMO.

Personally I am not into the plants-in-pots idea. I used them before trying to keep certain plants under control, but it never worked that well. I mean you can spot feed individual plants whether they are in pots or just planted into the substrate. Transferring aquatic plants isn't a big issue, cutting some or half of their roots off usually doesn't bother them (compared to terrestrial plants/trees).

And if you slow down on the feeding a bit , there won't be that much need for vacuuming the floor.

Photos are good!
Thanks! The tips you gave me really helped me make the best of my photography with my crappy camera. I'm looking at a Nikon D5100 or a Canon EOS REBEL T3i Black...just a lot of money at the moment.

The potted tank is kind of a hodge podge. It's a staging area for plants that out grew my 90 and will eventually be sold back to my LFS. And my small guppy farm, it grows enough guppies I don't have to pay for fish food anymore, just trade with my LFS. This tank is my play tank, I try things in here before attempting them on my 90, thus the pots. My other tank is a dirt tank, so transplanting is sort of difficult. The Crypts are Wendtti or whatever (that's what they said on the package, lol)...the plant I can't figure out is the one immediately above the female guppy all by itself.

That feeding was an attempt to get the damn fish to hold still for the camera, they normally don't get fed like that, lol. I must have taken 40 pictures, the scrimp and the betta shots are the only decent ones. I have a little tuxedo wearing guppy, but that little fool would not hold still!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Gotcha on the feeding.

Regarding the cam, not sure how much spare change you have, but there are some great deals to be had on the T3i. Basically the kit for $500.

But I don't want to bring this thread OT... back to plants in pots. I still think that plant is a C. lucens. Not sure... let them grow out a bit.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.