Duff's 2nd Riparium - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 03-21-2012, 01:03 AM   #16
mdreher
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

I'm sure it'll do great. Definately take some pics...i'd like to see what your talking about. I visited St. Lucia recently and was able to see some of these full grown. There were so many plants I wanted to take home. It's like riparium/terrarium heaven with tons of cool plants. My wife had to talk some sense into me so that I wouldn't smuggle some plants
mdreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #17
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

I've been to a few places where I thought the same thing, then my sense got the better of me!

I finally found more info on the Red plant I have; Iresine herbstii or Chicken's Gizzard.
not the coleus I thought it might be. I have it in a pot inside and love it for it's intense red color. So far it does not seem to mind rooting on a trellis raft. It will be interesting to see if it last long term.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #18
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here are pictures of the base of the pandanus:

Old 03-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #19
mdreher
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

wow...that is cool. I wish mine did that.
mdreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:03 AM   #20
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Duff--this is looking completely awesome! I like the mix of plants and colors you've got going. Very nice rimless tank, it's made me sure I want to do a rimless too. It's been really helpful to watch your setups as I feel my way along with my plants.

Now, of course, we want to see the fish that come next!

Thanks for the pics--sox
Old 03-25-2012, 03:06 AM   #21
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Yeah those are some nice prop roots starting on there. Keep growing that plant up and it should develop more of them.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:08 AM   #22
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I love the look of this set up. Where does one find the little pots and rafts that the plants are in?
schoolzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #23
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi Schoolzoo -

The supplies can from the person right above your post - Hydrophyte. He's the Riparium Guru.

He's under the power seller section of this site.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:31 PM   #24
indigo
Algae Grower

this is looking amazing love the combination of plants you have.

sorry if this is a silly question but what is in the planter thingees? looks like round orangy balls of some sort. are they all thats in there?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #25
tiggity
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)

This looks awesome!

Question about the 2211, does it come with disconnect valves for maintenance?
40B Dirt | Aqueon Evolve 8 Dirt | Fraternity of Dirt #120
tiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #26
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi Tiggity - (Thank you) Yes it does! (love them) So far I am very happy with the filter and the flow. I have the spray bar at one end pointed towards the other end and the intake on the same side at the spray bar. I was afraid that it might not be enough flow base on comments from other users, but it seems to be fine. I don't have much under the water - a few Anubias and smaller crypts. I suspect that with more plants under the water the flow might not be enough but in my case I think it's perfect.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:23 PM   #27
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A few new pictures - everything seems to be growing in nicely. I added wood - boiled it several times and soaked it for about 2 weeks. One piece has sunk and the other is getting closer everyday. So don't mind the wood and plants under the water - they will eventually get rearranged. I added 6 anubia nana that will eventually make their way on the wood. I also moved over 4 more cories from my larger tank this week and will move the rest (5) and one ABN pleco once the tank is more settled in.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:37 PM   #28
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (141/100%)

Hey that's looking great! How is that Fittonia growing for you? Is it growing many new roots?

That red Iresine is a good one. Depending on the light that plant can get leggy, but you can prune the tips to get it to grow more bushy.

How are those little parlor palms doing? Are they growing new roots?

Nice pictures too!
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #29
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

Very nice. What fish do you have in the tank?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 04-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #30
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@ Hydro~ the Fittonia is doing very well and growing good roots. I trimmed it from my other tank and put it in here about a week ago so it looks like it is not doing much but is very happy in my other tank. The little palm is slow to take off but there are roots growing so I think it will be ok but keeping an eye on it. It has one new shoot coming up. I do have the one palm you gave me (i need to look up the name) that has powdery mildew so I took it out and am treating it with H202/water mix and looks like it will bounce back. I treated it for 5 days and so far only one little patch has come back. So it's in a nursery by itself for now. The light seems to strong enough to keep the Iresine from getting too leggy so far but no so much that it bleaches the red out but I do pinch it from time to time (as you suggested). Thanks on the pictures, I am trying out different settings to see the difference and I think finally found the sweet spot.

@ Newday~ Thanks! right now there are 7 Boras Brigitae and 7 pygmy cories. I have 4 (maybe 5) more pygmy cories, one Albino BN Pleco and a few RCS. I am doing a slow transfer of the fish (about 5 at a time) over to this tank as I only set it up about a month ago and want to make sure the filter/bacteria keep up with the bio-load. I hope to transfer the rest over to the tank this weekend.