Fish Follow Corrys for Food
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 03-17-2012, 10:24 PM   #1
Cynical Fish Guy
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation

Fish Follow Corrys for Food

I have a wonderful 15 gallon tank with an active community of fishes. Some would argue my tank is a little full, but it is also heavily planted and I'm good at checking & monitoring water chemistry in order to ensure that the population is happy. All my fish are active, even the Betta. My question regards an observation I recently made. My fish will follow my Cory's around in hopes of getting scraps disturbed from the bottom. Often times cellulose from the plants or plant matter.. All my fish excluding the Betta are omnivores, and I've witnessed members taking nips of plant debris. That being said, can I get away with just feeding the cats and betta? My betta eats catfish food/pellets. The other guys follow the cats regardless/ come to think of it, the betta does too. My ghost shrimp feed their tank mates with babies. I've seen minuscule shrimp get eaten by my tiniest of fish!

I'm thinking it might even get even easier for me to maintain the tank if I only have to drop a couple of catfish pellets and betta pellets. I've got 12 fish not counting inverts. 2 schools of 1in fish Neons & Raspboras; betta; and 2 cats (who are wonderfully starting to color up; I think I got them as babies) Corydoras Tilineatus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 10:40 PM   #2
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Oh yeah, some of my fish do that as well.. and yes, the sinking catfish food should be enough (make sure it's still fresh, and not expired or anything) So it should be fine, no need to feed the other populations if they are already scavenging like the cories.
10 gallon Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp Iwagumi low-tech planted tank
10 gallon Royal Blue Tiger Shrimp low-tech planted tank
250 gallon Community Black Bar Silver Dollar/Regular & Spotted Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Barbs Monster fish tank
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:09 PM   #3
Cynical Fish Guy
Planted Member

yeah, they follow the corrys. It is Like they had a group discussion and agreed that the Corrys were the finders and the rest (the other species of fish) would just eat scraps that the corrys disturbed. The betta takes what it wants though. I think it's an interesting symbiotic relationship. It was established amazingly fast too! They others are not scavenging as following and waiting.

Cool.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
NeonFlux
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

Yeah, these little guys learn quick about chow down times, haha. Anyhow, sweet, glad to hear things are going well.
10 gallon Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp Iwagumi low-tech planted tank
10 gallon Royal Blue Tiger Shrimp low-tech planted tank
250 gallon Community Black Bar Silver Dollar/Regular & Spotted Silver dollars/Bala Shark/Cichlids/Loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Barbs Monster fish tank
NeonFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
shinycard255
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

I also have this same issue in my tank. Whenever it's feeding time, I put food in for my Tetras and Angels, but I stopped feeding my Corries at the same time though. Why, you ask? Well, my Angels think they own the tank so they will go around and follow the Corries until they see the food, and then take it in their mouth and eat it themselves... which means the Corries don't get anything....

Here is my way around that...

So I feed the fish as normal, but I con't feed the Corries until the lights go off. That way the Corries use their noses to find the food and the other fish can't seem to find the food. Corries are happy, and the other fish are happy as well
The Fraternity of Dirt #42
Who would have thought that plants like dirt?!

Tanks: 60G | 5.5G | Evolve4
shinycard255 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Cynical Fish Guy
Planted Member

Yeah. I've had my current betta for over 6 months now, and to tell you the truth, MY BETTA, has always been good about keeping the bottom of his tank clean, whether or not there exist any other fish. I also suspect that MY BETTA has a good sense of smell. I've seen him hunt down hiding pellets with quick accuracy. Smell is the only thing I could think of because he swims to the area and then starts looking.(yes sometimes he watches the pellet fall, but not every time) If this is indeed the case than darkness will not protect Cory fish food!!!! Maybe against the small fish, but THEY can only eat scraps anyway. My betta can eat an entire disc, hard or soft; and THE BETTA don't care if he's just been fed pellets! This is going to get interesting! For the time being; all fish appear quite happy.... and slightly round after feedings.

I'm just wondering if I still need to buy FISH specific food or just feed all the guys flakes and throw in a freeze dried worm once in a while...... I mean if the BETTA is going to eat everything, WHAT IS THE POINT??? Right?!

Tags
betta splendens, corydoras trilineatus, ghost shrimp, harlequin raspboras, neon testras