Geniusdudekiran's ADA Mini S Iwagumi "Treeless Mountain" Updated 12.02.12 - Page 80
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals


View Poll Results: What carpet plant should I use?
HC (Hemianthus callitrichoides) 10 58.82%
UG (Utricularia graminifolia) 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #1186
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
PTrader: (44/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antbug View Post
That last FTS looks great! The hill, rocks and HC have come together nicely. The Blyxa on the left flows really nice as well, but the stems in the back are taking away the hill look IMO. Maybe it's the way they are cut or maybe it's just the stems. Some downoi crowns would look better IMO. Either way, nicely done!

How are your trees doing? My trident just started to change colors and is loosing a few leaves.
Thanks! I need to take a better shot. Got a light load of homework tonight, I'll straighten it up and take a close up.

I see what you're saying. As it gets thicker, I'm not going to trim it as sharply, but for the time being it's an easy way to manage the thicket and looks decent. The stems are also very biologically functional in this scape -- algae issues curbed soon after their addition, as they're much more efficient at sucking up excess nutrients, etc. There actually is one crown of downoi in the tank at the moment, though it's growing very weirdly. Will post a pic of it tonight.

Geez, it must be really warm over there. Both the tridents have lost their leaves here, and the elm is losing them quickly (though I don't believe that it is going to lose all of them). Temps have dipped into the mid-thirties here so far. I like the cold though!
__________________
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #1187
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru
 
@marko@'s Avatar
 
PTrader: (57/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: livingston, nj
Posts: 5,679
Default

i would allow them to grow taller, and in more of a dome shape.
to be in proportion to the shape of the hardscape (so they need to be taller than the blyxa).
__________________
@marko@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:28 AM   #1188
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
PTrader: (44/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Default

Closeups as promised. Looks like I forgot to get one of the downoi; next time!











__________________
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:30 AM   #1189
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
PTrader: (44/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
i would allow them to grow taller, and in more of a dome shape.
to be in proportion to the shape of the hardscape (so they need to be taller than the blyxa).
I agree, I think I do want it eventually to move with the contour of the rocks. I still need to get the iron supplement (shoot, I was just at a great place in Charlotte on Saturday!). Ugh.

Be lazy, be crazy, right?
__________________
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:53 AM   #1190
freph
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (22/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 2,255
Default

Ahhh, healthy HC. What a sight for sore eyes. Must be a relief that you've finally won that battle. Also, do I spy some old bits of UG growing up between the HC and the front glass?
__________________
20L - Decommissioned Mini M - Decommissioned
freph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #1191
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru
 
@marko@'s Avatar
 
PTrader: (57/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: livingston, nj
Posts: 5,679
Default

when you get iron, see if you can get it as Fe++ (ferrous iron) vs. Fe+++ (ferric iron). plants can only absorb iron as Fe++; they have a mechanism to convert Fe+++ to Fe++, but the more they have in the already available state the better. unfortunately our tanks are acidic and so iron, while more soluble, is more likely to be in the ferric state than ferrous state. but since you would be dosing several doses a week, there should be ample burst of nicely available Fe++ complexes in the water.
__________________
@marko@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #1192
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 1,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
Ahhh, healthy HC. What a sight for sore eyes. Must be a relief that you've finally won that battle. Also, do I spy some old bits of UG growing up between the HC and the front glass?
Ditto. Nothing like a good carpet.
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:56 AM   #1193
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
PTrader: (44/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Default

End-of-weekend update. The tank had not had a water change in at least two weeks (may have been three...), but with the current bioload it's not exactly an issue. Essentially, the only purpose of water changes in this tank is to remove any excess nutrients, as opposed to remove nitrogenous compounds (which would be the purpose in most tanks). Okay, fewer words, more pictures:


Tank before maintenance (*shivers*).


Before maintenance, closer up.


Water change action shot!


The sky is falling!


Water change, minor algae scrubbing, and glass scraping completed (still pre-trim).


All trimmed up.

And a few more for your viewing pleasure:




I'm really loving the scape these days, and more importantly, the flexibility that this tank allows. I've long been an advocate for building an aquascape which fits your own needs and schedule (while still looking top-notch!), and this tank is plenty forgiving, even withstanding the unintentional and much-regretted neglect which accompanies junior year. Many people seem to think that having a low-maintenance, high-tech tank is impossible; let my tank be proof that it is. The key? Nitrate-loving, fast-growing plants (in combination with whatever other plants you please, i.e. HC) and a reasonable bioload, with high (but not too high!) light, pressurized CO2 (which doesn't have to be a $300 regulator, I use a thirty-something dollar paintball rig), and of course, a little dedication and passion.

How have you based your planted tanks around your life and schedule? Even if you haven't realized it, you probably have made amendments and changes to fit your lifestyle. Food for thought.
__________________
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:01 AM   #1194
freph
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (22/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Fayetteville, NC
Posts: 2,255
Default

Mmmmmm greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen. Tank looks awesome man. Keep up the good work.
__________________
20L - Decommissioned Mini M - Decommissioned
freph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:21 AM   #1195
somewhatshocked
Obsessed? Maybe
 
somewhatshocked's Avatar
 
PTrader: (435/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,498
Default

Woah, this tank exploded and got even more gorgeous.

Love that you're letting the stems get taller in the back. Scale is getting better and better.

Any shrimp reproduction yet?
somewhatshocked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:33 AM   #1196
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
PTrader: (44/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
Mmmmmm greeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen. Tank looks awesome man. Keep up the good work.
I've seen green this green a few other places. In person, it is greeeeen indeed! This batch of photos was pretty bad, next time I'll mount a tripod and put some effort in, lol. Thanks for the compliments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhatshocked View Post
Woah, this tank exploded and got even more gorgeous.

Love that you're letting the stems get taller in the back. Scale is getting better and better.

Any shrimp reproduction yet?
Haha! I love the stems too, they're functional yet visually pleasing. Funny you should ask, I just found a few new babies today while trimming. Better start shipping some out soon!
__________________
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 AM   #1197
marioman72
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
marioman72's Avatar
 
PTrader: (14/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: bristol, RI, U.S.
Posts: 378
Default

this tank looks amazing love how bright it is!
marioman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #1198
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
AUvet14's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
I'm really loving the scape these days, and more importantly, the flexibility that this tank allows. I've long been an advocate for building an aquascape which fits your own needs and schedule (while still looking top-notch!), and this tank is plenty forgiving, even withstanding the unintentional and much-regretted neglect which accompanies junior year. Many people seem to think that having a low-maintenance, high-tech tank is impossible; let my tank be proof that it is. The key? Nitrate-loving, fast-growing plants (in combination with whatever other plants you please, i.e. HC) and a reasonable bioload, with high (but not too high!) light, pressurized CO2 (which doesn't have to be a $300 regulator, I use a thirty-something dollar paintball rig), and of course, a little dedication and passion.

How have you based your planted tanks around your life and schedule? Even if you haven't realized it, you probably have made amendments and changes to fit your lifestyle. Food for thought.
Junior year of what? Idk that my scape on my 30 fits my lifestyle. Lol. I think it's more of a stress relief. Working on it is almost therapeutic for me. I'm in my junior year of veterinary school. Working on my tank helps me get my mind off of school for a little while and concentrate on something I really enjoy... my planted aquarium So if you count the therapeutic aspects of doing maintenance, then I guess it does fit my schedule and lifestyle.
AUvet14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:15 PM   #1199
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit
 
Geniusdudekiran's Avatar
 
PTrader: (44/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 5,371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioman72 View Post
this tank looks amazing love how bright it is!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUvet14 View Post
Junior year of what? Idk that my scape on my 30 fits my lifestyle. Lol. I think it's more of a stress relief. Working on it is almost therapeutic for me. I'm in my junior year of veterinary school. Working on my tank helps me get my mind off of school for a little while and concentrate on something I really enjoy... my planted aquarium So if you count the therapeutic aspects of doing maintenance, then I guess it does fit my schedule and lifestyle.
High school. Exactly, stress relief is what our tanks are for, right? But if we have to work on them so much that we lose priorities in "real life" (), things only become more stressful. So having a tank that only needs minimal maintenance during the week and a water change and trim on the weekend fits my student lifestyle the most.
__________________
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs
Geniusdudekiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #1200
AUvet14
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
AUvet14's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
High school. Exactly, stress relief is what our tanks are for, right? But if we have to work on them so much that we lose priorities in "real life" (), things only become more stressful. So having a tank that only needs minimal maintenance during the week and a water change and trim on the weekend fits my student lifestyle the most.
Well when you put it that way, then I guess it does fit my schedule. I do dose ferts 6 days a week, but that takes like a minute. It's only when I run into problems (algae, CO2 system issues, which are usually self-inflicted) that I end up doing stuff during the week. When I do trim, I usually trim on Friday afternoon or evening, then do my water change on Saturday morning. It's like clockwork. It feels weird if I don't stick to that schedule. If anything, I spend too much time with my face up against the glass like a little kid watching the shrimp swim around or looking at my schooling rasboras from across the room while spacing out. Lol.
AUvet14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012