Geniusdudekiran's ADA Mini S Iwagumi "Treeless Mountain" Updated 12.02.12 - Page 11
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

View Poll Results: What carpet plant should I use?
HC (Hemianthus callitrichoides) 10 58.82%
UG (Utricularia graminifolia) 7 41.18%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2012, 02:33 AM   #151
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Alright guys, this has gotten just a little off the beaten path: really, this isn't what these threads are about, so I'll just say something briefly.

I've known Dollface a long time (a little rough around the edges isn't she?), and beneath that mean exterior is a genuine person who only wants to see you successfully grow out your layout. Like it or not, she probably has more experience with that plant than anyone else in the States (I totally defer to her when it comes to that plant). You don't have to like her to take advantage of her mistakes and hassles and hard lessons learned (if anything, you could grow it out so well that you could make fun of her for once having a problem growing it!).

You guys are still young and you want to maximize your money spent for the best possible results, right? Leverage her lessons to your benefit. Mistakes are costly, and you want to make as few of them as possible so you can have what you really want: a badass planted aquarium.

It's rather unfortunate that the folks that sold you the light said it could grow what it does. After looking at the specs, it is about half powered from what it actually is, since the 12,000k blue for plants is all but useless. If you can grow out those plants, all the more power to ya, the odds are fairly much stacked against it from the looks of it though.

But then again, I've yet to have much success with LED's and plants as-of-yet.

If you can, I'd sport for any 27w fixture that can carry the 8,000k CF bulb: it's perfect for the Mini S/M. Either way, you have a 50/50 shot of getting to say "I told you so," or going with a 100% chance of success.

As for the filter, you'll eventually want a 2211 for the biological filtration capacity, but you can always upgrade later: that's not critical today.

I'm not going to hunt you down if you use the ADA booklet as a background. Though I will say that those items tend to turn into collectors items!
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 02:47 AM   #152
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Alright guys, this has gotten just a little off the beaten path: really, this isn't what these threads are about, so I'll just say something briefly.

I've known Dollface a long time (a little rough around the edges isn't she?), and beneath that mean exterior is a genuine person who only wants to see you successfully grow out your layout. Like it or not, she probably has more experience with that plant than anyone else in the States (I totally defer to her when it comes to that plant). You don't have to like her to take advantage of her mistakes and hassles and hard lessons learned (if anything, you could grow it out so well that you could make fun of her for once having a problem growing it!).

You guys are still young and you want to maximize your money spent for the best possible results, right? Leverage her lessons to your benefit. Mistakes are costly, and you want to make as few of them as possible so you can have what you really want: a badass planted aquarium.

It's rather unfortunate that the folks that sold you the light said it could grow what it does. After looking at the specs, it is about half powered from what it actually is, since the 12,000k blue for plants is all but useless. If you can grow out those plants, all the more power to ya, the odds are fairly much stacked against it from the looks of it though.

But then again, I've yet to have much success with LED's and plants as-of-yet.

If you can, I'd sport for any 27w fixture that can carry the 8,000k CF bulb: it's perfect for the Mini S/M. Either way, you have a 50/50 shot of getting to say "I told you so," or going with a 100% chance of success.

As for the filter, you'll eventually want a 2211 for the biological filtration capacity, but you can always upgrade later: that's not critical today.

I'm not going to hunt you down if you use the ADA booklet as a background. Though I will say that those items tend to turn into collectors items!
Thanks Frank, that helps. As I said I do respect her successes with the plant but it's hard to sometimes when it's conveyed in a condescending fashion, which is how I took it, at least.

This version of the light is the all-white version, no blues on this one, if I understand what you are saying. Does that make a difference? I plan to buy a 27W Archaea if I can find one for a good price, although not until I have used this one long enough to make a decision.

Yeah, I just but the book up and put it on the back of the tank, looks good. I'd rather have it on the back of a tank with its nice, shiny sheen than on my coffee table just kinda sitting there. I'll get another one when I order from you guys again someday.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:55 AM   #153
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

And don't take me wrong, I am only interested in your success as a hobbyist, so forgive me for butting in.

I don't have any experience with the all white LED, so I can't say one way or the other
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:57 AM   #154
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
And don't take me wrong, I am only interested in your success as a hobbyist, so forgive me for butting in.

I don't have any experience with the all white LED, so I can't say one way or the other
No need to apologize, man. "We straight"

Okay. Thanks. Do YOU think 2 of these fixtures would be "sufficient?"
Old 03-22-2012, 03:09 AM   #155
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
No need to apologize, man. "We straight"

Okay. Thanks. Do YOU think 2 of these fixtures would be "sufficient?"
I know my opinion isn't very valuable, as I have never owned the fixture, nor have I grown UG, but I have some background in.. well a lot of things, but as far as this is concerned, electronics.

Based on the size the lamp I'd assume it has an external power supply, can you take a look and tell me what the Amp rating on it is?
It'll say 12v xxx mA or something like that.

The leds are apparently running at 56mw which is very low, you could probably double the power supplied to them very easily with no ill effects, but I'm not sure what kind of LEDs are being used..
Old 03-22-2012, 03:23 AM   #156
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

Looked at some pictures of the light, it looks like 5mm high flux leds...
Also I am not sure if the values given on the website are based on the LED specs or if they are their calculations based on the power provided...

If you are willing to try out a soldering iron and some handiwork, depending on the power supply you have you could rig up some 1w cree leds in there and definitely increase light output.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:26 AM   #157
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
I know my opinion isn't very valuable, as I have never owned the fixture, nor have I grown UG, but I have some background in.. well a lot of things, but as far as this is concerned, electronics.

Based on the size the lamp I'd assume it has an external power supply, can you take a look and tell me what the Amp rating on it is?
It'll say 12v xxx mA or something like that.

The leds are apparently running at 56mw which is very low, you could probably double the power supplied to them very easily with no ill effects, but I'm not sure what kind of LEDs are being used..
Thanks man, looks like we've got output of 12V at 500mA.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:27 AM   #158
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Looked at some pictures of the light, it looks like 5mm high flux leds...
Also I am not sure if the values given on the website are based on the LED specs or if they are their calculations based on the power provided...

If you are willing to try out a soldering iron and some handiwork, depending on the power supply you have you could rig up some 1w cree leds in there and definitely increase light output.
I'm all for it. My electronics knowledge is prolly minimal compared to yours but I've got the materials, at least.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:34 AM   #159
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

Hmm.. alright 500ma.. well that isn't a lot to work with I now understand why the lamp is as dim as it supposedly is.

Does the lamp get very hot as is?
Does it get warm at all?
I don't know what its made of but it looks like there may be some metal, but it also looks like there is no ventilation slots either for hot air to rise out of.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:37 AM   #160
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Hot I don't think would be a fair statement, but warm definitely so. Looks/feels like an aluminum alloy.

And no slots, you're correct.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:54 AM   #161
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

Hmm..

The best thing to do may be to find a 12v 2amp power supply and run 4 Cree XP-G's at 500mA each. You'd be looking at around 600 lumens total.

Should be quite a bit brighter but would also definitely be hotter..
You may be able to use an Arctic Silver thermal adhesive and apply the LED starts directly to the fixtures aluminum panel.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:56 AM   #162
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Hmm..

The best thing to do may be to find a 12v 2amp power supply and run 4 Cree XP-G's at 500mA each. You'd be looking at around 600 lumens total.

Should be quite a bit brighter but would also definitely be hotter..
You may be able to use an Arctic Silver thermal adhesive and apply the LED starts directly to the fixtures aluminum panel.
So this would involve completely disassembling the entire fixture, correct? Price estimate?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:53 AM   #163
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
So this would involve completely disassembling the entire fixture, correct? Price estimate?
Led's would be around 5 bucks each, I'd probably buy 5 just to be safe.
You can typically find a power adapter at thrift stores for very cheap.
Locally I can get almost any for under a buck.
Thermal Adhesive is around 5 bucks too.

If you already own a soldering iron, solder, and wire, then that would be it.

I don't know how easy it is to disassemble the fixture, or if it would even be possible to reassemble it so take a look at it and see if you think it sounds worth it.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:56 AM   #164
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
Led's would be around 5 bucks each, I'd probably buy 5 just to be safe.
You can typically find a power adapter at thrift stores for very cheap.
Locally I can get almost any for under a buck.
Thermal Adhesive is around 5 bucks too.

If you already own a soldering iron, solder, and wire, then that would be it.

I don't know how easy it is to disassemble the fixture, or if it would even be possible to reassemble it so take a look at it and see if you think it sounds worth it.
I'll check it in the AM. You think it'd be worth it? Any sizeable risk of majorly screwing up? I spent my middle school/early high school years building lasers, sensitive laser diodes etc. Think I'd be okay here...
Old 03-22-2012, 05:11 AM   #165
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I'll check it in the AM. You think it'd be worth it? Any sizeable risk of majorly screwing up? I spent my middle school/early high school years building lasers, sensitive laser diodes etc. Think I'd be okay here...
Well, it isn't too difficult to fry these LED's by soldering too long, but that is typically only a concern when attaching them to the stars.
When soldering to the stars there isn't much to worry about.

I think they would definitely be worth it, you would be increasing the wattage by quite a lot, and with more efficient LEDs.

If you ran 4 of them at 500 mA and they still werent bright enough you could buy a constant current driver down the road and run them all at 750 mA and get a significant boost in brightness.

The only thing I am not sure on is heat.
I'd have to see/hold the fixture in person to make any guess how much heat it could dissipate.