My list of LFS in CT
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Connecticut

Old 03-15-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
Mikezilla
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

My list of LFS in CT

Not sure how many folks on this forum are from Connecticut, but i wanted to make a quick list of any LFS that i can think of, and how good they are. I plan to update this list if i discover any new places. These are in no specific order:

Purr-Fect Pets, Milford: Closed

This place was awesome, they had a huge variety of FW fish and plants as well as some SW. I worked there in the aquatics department for a year prior to the shutdown.

Slither and Swim, West Haven (I work here!)

Before i got a weekend job working here i always loved the store. It's fairly small and deals only with fish and reptiles. Very good selection of FW fish and African Cichlids, we don't carry SW fish however. Decent variety of plants, if there's something specific that you want we can most likely get it for you.

Statewide Pets, Orange

This place is so-so. There's a somewhat decent selection of fish sometimes, other times its terrible.

Waterbury Aquarium, Waterbury

I just recently found out about this place, and it seems pretty cool. The guy there who i believe was the owner was very helpful. I saw a big selection of plants and i was impressed with the fw fish selection. Definitely taking another trip there.

Aquatic Wildlife, Manchester

This is my favorite LFS that i know of in CT. Huge selection of both fresh and saltwater, and the largest selection of plants I've seen. Everyone there is very knowledgeable and friendly, and everything is fairly cheap compared to other stores.
Mikezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
finsNfur
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

I was disappointed to see Purr-fect pets close, too. But I had seen there was a LFS in W. Haven and had been wondering how good it was, I will have to check yours out soon. I have also heard people rave about The Puppy Place, or a similar name up in W. Hartford. It's supposed to be independently owned with a great selection of fish.
finsNfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
reddhawkk
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)

The one in West Hartford is the Puppy Center and they have lots of fish.
RAOK Club #55
reddhawkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
Mikezilla
Algae Grower

Never heard of it, I'll have to check it out sometime. I'm always on the lookout for new places around here. There was talk of another pet store going where Purrfect pets was, but I'm not sure what's going on with that.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
finsNfur
Algae Grower

Thanks for the correction, reddhawkk. And yes, I had read that one of the employees of Purrfect pets was considering buying the store, but that's the last I heard. I drove by a few months ago and there were workmen inside painting etc. but I don't know what is there now.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
Mikezilla
Algae Grower

Only thing there now is a big for sale sign. I'm surprised Gary Montano hasn't knocked down the walls and expand his company already.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
TheNamelessPoet
Planted Member

There is Emmons in Simsbury. They have a TON of fish.
TheNamelessPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #8
Unearthed
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddhawkk View Post
The one in West Hartford is the Puppy Center and they have lots of fish.
All of my fish have come from here. I'm pretty new to the fish thing and they've been good with helping me out.
Unearthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #9
cecile1
Algae Grower

There are a few down my way in southern ct too, the All Pets Clubs in Meriden/Wallingford area are good- salt, fresh and pond- always nice fish and plants.

Also one up in the Storrs/Mansfield area- this one dosen't have salt, but has nice fresh and plants.

I also really like the slither and swim in West Haven- brother years ago I think resold an huge tiger oscar there-really nice folks- I haven't been in a while, I should check out your plants!
Canon Pimp Club #052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
But not to worry. I have H2O2 and know how to use it!
cecile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:04 PM   #10
finsNfur
Algae Grower

I stopped by Slither and Swim last week, and bought a young angelfish. He's really healthy and I'm considering another drive to pick up another one. I did notice a few tanks with other fish seemed to have a few fish with fin and tail rot, but maybe they were just getting nipped by their tankmates. One thing I liked about the store, each tank had individual filtration, so if some fish in one tank have parasites or whatever it wouldn't spread throughout all the tanks. Overall the fish were much healthier than those you'd find in Petco or Petsmart.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #11
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just moved to West Haven 7 weeks ago from metro Detroit, Michigan. I stopped by Slither and Swim this week and bought a filter, driftwood, and heater. The heater was cracked when I unboxed it and they replaced it no-questions-asked. Very nice store.
WestHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:55 AM   #12
Perryboat
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

@ Mike - does slither and swim have any moss for sale? flame or xmass moss? where in west haven is it? Im in Hamden. Thanks
Perryboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #13
WestHaven
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryboat View Post
@ Mike - does slither and swim have any moss for sale? flame or xmass moss? where in west haven is it? Im in Hamden. Thanks
Yes they did have moss for sale, but I don't know what type (I bought some today). They are at 38 Saw Mill Road #16 near the corner of Elm Street. It's in a small shopping plaza with a few other store.
The Fraternity of Dirt #144
WestHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:24 AM   #14
Perryboat
Algae Grower

I was there myself earlier today, was looking for a fluval 405 hose but they didnt have it. It is a nice store, has plenty of fishes. I wasnt sure if it was Mikezilla who was there today, i was too shy to ask. lol I wonder if they are willing to buy my flowerhorn or maybe exchange for store credit.lol
Old 07-15-2012, 04:28 AM   #15
Perryboat
Algae Grower

I think it would help their store if it was right on the Post Rd, i dont think it gets too much exposure in that shopping plaza.