Pond question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 03-14-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
bighollywood
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

Pond question

So I got some questions for you all. I have a rather large garden pond in our yard. It has lots of fish in it and usually causes us all sorts of problems each year. Usually, green water and I dont really know what sort of filter I need on this beast. I will try to get some pics tomorrow. We are going to have to replace the liner this year and am trying to decide whether to fill it in or put the money into replacing the liner. Any help you could afford me would be great.

At my best guess, it is about 20 feet in length and 10-11 feet in width. It is about 3.5 feet deep at the deepest part. It has several levels and has 5 pools that spill into each other that leads into the pond on one side.

Thanks

Richard
bighollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 01:54 AM   #2
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

for this size pond, I would build a 55 gallon drum filter with some plastic media. I made one for my 3000G pond and it did a great job of keeping the pond clean. filter was cheap to make and only need a good pump to get water through the barrel. If you google drum pond filter you'll find many how to guides
Old 03-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
picotank
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

A inline UV light helps mine but it's not as large a pond as yours. Mine is a round 12' circle about 2' deep and my UV light helps alot... Lots of floating plants helps too but I'm sure you know that one...
The Fraternity of Dirt #70
picotank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

If you can cover about half the surface with floating plants they will do several things for you:
1) Nutrient uptake. Reduce the nutrients that algae need and the algae will grow slower.
2) Shade the pond. Reduce the sun that algae need and the algae will grow slower.

At some point, the conditions will not favor the algae, and the UV may not even be needed.
Other plants can help:
Below the surface will probably get shaded out the same as the algae. Put these in there if you have a cheap source, but assume they will die.
Marginal plants, in containers around the edges, tucked into the rocks as the pond/stream spills... Plants with their leaves in the air will grow best, because they get their CO2 from the air. They are great at nutrient export, and some will help shade their little area of the water.

Are there fish in all parts of the water? Golds and Koi can destroy the plants. Some pond keepers have a separate living filter system where the water is pumped through a stream that is planted. I have seen designs where the 'stream' is a trough-like construction, and the plants kept in containers like hydroponics. Looked REALLY NICE. The exterior was some sort of stained wood, matching the deck and bench. Really showy plants were growing in it. Mine is more of a cobbled stream flowing though a peat bog. Also looks really lush while the plants are growing (some go dormant). Another way to exclude the fish from part of the area is to build an island. Depending on how high the island is (it might not even reach the water surface) plant with marginal plants.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

+1 to what Diana said.

Google Aquaponics!
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
bighollywood
Planted Member

So I have looked up the 55g drum idea. I like that idea but do any of you have any ideas of how to hide that unsightly thing in the garden area?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #7
bighollywood
Planted Member

So i started the 55g drum filter. i will let you know how it works.

Diana,
There are separate portions of the pond. I have ordered some floating plants on here and plan to add more to balance the ecosystem better.

Richard
Old 03-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #8
76dragon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

Get a large uv sterilizer and you will be fine. Mine just needs to run for a week and I can see the bottom of my pond.

Like they stated earlier, try to cover some of the pond with plants and you should be fine.
76dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:04 AM   #9
longbeach
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

I helped my neighbor build a 55 gal drum filter....he dressed it up to look like a Well.
longbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #10
bighollywood
Planted Member

I have decided to put bamboo all around the barrell and cover the top and put a planter on top of it with a large fern. Draping fern down over the barrell might make it look better.

hey 76dragon, what type of uv do you recommend. I have had two in the past and they only lasted about a year. They just seem to quit working for some reason.

Richard
Old 03-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #11
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

There are a couple of reasons they quit:
The covering over the lamp gets too dirty. (Take it apart and clean according to manufacturer's recommendations)
The lamp burns out (replace). You cannot tell by looking at it. Don't look at it when it is on! UV bulbs can hurt your eyes. Some units include an indicator of some sort to let you know that the bulb has been on enough hours that it is time to replace it. If you are running it pretty much all the time, assume it needs to be replaced annually.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:44 AM   #12
bighollywood
Planted Member

Yeah, the bulb would not be bad, but the first one broke. The sleeve that the light was in that kept it from getting wet broke. The second one had a large power box at the plug. A circuit board type of thing. It just stopped working and would not fire up the bulb. I guess i Just need to get a good one....lol
Old 04-10-2012, 02:48 AM   #13
bighollywood
Planted Member

So I made the 55g drum filter and the pond is clearer than it has ever been.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:59 AM   #14
sjb1987
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (124/100%)

heres what i would do....i install koi ponds as a part of my business

1. get some filtration such as a drum filter as said above

2. to get rid of your green water lay some willow branches in the water and let them root...make sure you leave some of the branch out of the water.....should clear it up in a month or so

3. make sure you are pumping enough water

4. the most important thing is to add dry bacteria...dnt waste your money on the expensive stuff.....ridx....yup the stuff you put in your septic tanks....i promise you it is the same stuff and works the same way.....you need to be adding some once a week for a couple months then you could back off and do it once a month....but you need to make sure the bacteria has a place to live....if you can install a pond skimmer thats the best way....try azpondoutlet or aquascape....

you can toss the willow branches once you feel you have a good bacteria colony built up....also the bacteria wont live if the water is too cold

Edit: just read that your pond is clearing up....thats good but try the ridx out too,....it makes for a healthy pond.....i thinkn it helps keeps the koi healthy too
sjb1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:01 AM   #15
bighollywood
Planted Member

I am going to try a uv light one more time this year. I believe the filter has started a bacteria colony otherwise, there would be no change in the water. I still need to add some media to colonize the bacteria. I had an old pond filter. Had sponges as a pre filter and had round rubber balls in the bottom that i supposed was in there for bacteria to live. I put the balls in the bottom of the 55g drum. But thanks. I did not think of the rid stuff. I will read up on that stuff and give it a try.

Richard