Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout - Page 9
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-21-2012, 10:33 PM   #121
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Sounds good to me. I'll shoot you an email when I get home. Also, I notice the CO2 diffuser is rather close to the surface. Are there any issues associated with this?
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 01:15 AM   #122
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Alright, it's time for Day 6 water change. By now you must be sick of getting these pictures! "They all look the same!" I promise you they are new ones every time.

Perhaps when this process is finished, if you're feeling intrepid you can go print out these photos and make a growth flip book.

This time I remembered to take a photo before the water change:

See that? it's brown! very slightly!

I drained the water level almost all the way down to the substrate here, and trimmed off a few pieces of riccia that had some algae on it from what-ever tank it came off of ( you want to eliminate those pieces as quickly as possible, don't be afraid to make surgical cuts) :

Annnd, the now famous bucket shot for you to illustrate:

Now, for the fill up process, again, I'm turning the filter on at about the halfway mark (once the water level is safely above the intake of the intake pipe) for some extra oxygenation fizz:

And then finally, after a grueling 15 minutes (trimming!) we're back and filled with water again (seriously, it takes longer to upload these images and write this post than it does to water change...if you have time to make a post, you have time to do a water change on a nano) :

Proof that these are new photos each time: you'll notice that extra Riccia stone missing. I decided it was totally messing with my feng shui, and immediately after removing it confirmed this fact. Saving the extra riccia wasn't worth it. Though it is sitting in a cup of water outside in sunlight now.

Dosing: 5 drops of Green Bacter. 1 Squirt Brighty K. Day 6 water change percentage: somewhere around 80-90%.

A photo from a different angle to show a different perspective. Kind of cool, don't you think?

You have probably understood by now that this process has been pretty painless, easy and can be done by anyone: and I hope that the bucket shots have illustrated you in a very real way all the preventative maintenance you're doing for 10 minutes of time a day. You might never look at your tank the same way again.

P.S. Are you going to start your journal yet and start using these techniques? If not, what's the hold up! You don't need ADA product to exploit the techniques being used here for water changing and setup!

P.P.S. If you have a 10 gallon tank, this usually takes about 15-20 minutes, and if you have a 20 gallon tank, about 25-35 minutes. Still pretty easy, no?

P.P.P.S. I want to see your aquascape! Light up this forum with your journals of success! You've got all the information now to have a really awesome start! Don't worry about later, by the time we get there, I'll have covered the topics and you'll have learned what to do if you don't already know.

P.S. if you've found these techniques valuable, help share the information with new comers by linking back here in your own journals when you use my techniques!
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 AM   #123
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
Sounds good to me. I'll shoot you an email when I get home. Also, I notice the CO2 diffuser is rather close to the surface. Are there any issues associated with this?
Freph, I wouldn't use it on my personal tank at home, nor have paid for it (I bought all of the equipment shown before taking over ADA at ADG, excepting the Wood Cabinet stand, which was a gift from Jeff Senske) if it had any issues what so ever. Just keep the water level at about where I keep it in the photo and you'll be golden.

P.S. if you've found these techniques valuable, help share the information with new comers by linking back here in your own journals when you use my techniques!
Old 03-22-2012, 01:25 AM   #124
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Awesome. I've always liked the glass sets for the Mini aquariums but it just made me wonder since it looks like most of the bubbles are going to the surface (unless the outflow is shooting them out and down but I can't see it). Easier to contact you via email or PMs on here?
Old 03-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #125
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Orchidman, before I answer your follow up questions, please allow me to ask you a couple questions.

1. What is your mind set for your planted aquarium? What do you want from it?

2. May I ask How much money you have spent on your aquarium and what is your budget? (if you like, you can PM me a response to this one, or if you are comfortable you can post here).

3. Do you know what the difference is between these tanks in money spent and results?

1. I want something beautiful and i want to create it. i enjoy dong maintenance and setting things up and such, and if it becomes a large burden, its not achieving the goals at hand. with school and volleyball after school everyday, sometimes im stretched for time, but i enjoy it and try to stay on schedule. and also i want my fish or shrimp to be happy and healthy.

2.hmm, not sure exactly how much ive spent, because most things where gradually added. what i paid for things currently being used in this tank, and what ive paid for things up until this point is different. what i paid for things being used right this second is probably only about $130 thats filter, co2, plants, and substrate. everything else being used ATM was given to me at one time or another.

as for budget, im a teenager, so im alwasy on a tight budget. right now i dont have any money to spend on it, except to keep things alive. im willing to spend a little bit on new filter media, but not much else other than things that NEED to be done now. once i save up some money, i will hopefully upgrade some stuff and replace plants that died before a major upgrade though.

3. could it be the skill and expertise of the creator?

ps. would it be better for me to pm you? so i dont junk up your thread? either way is fine for me, im just glad to get advice.
orchidman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:39 AM   #126
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
ps. would it be better for me to pm you? so i dont junk up your thread? either way is fine for me, im just glad to get advice.
Following previous threads of Franks, some of the most valuable content is from people asking questions like this. It's not clutter at all IMO.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:40 AM   #127
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
Following previous threads of Franks, some of the most valuable content is from people asking questions like this. It's not clutter at all IMO.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #128
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post

P.P.P.S. I want to see your aquascape! Light up this forum with your journals of success! You've got all the information now to have a really awesome start! Don't worry about later, by the time we get there, I'll have covered the topics and you'll have learned what to do if you don't already know.
I guess you missed my post.... anyways...

Dosing EI, Nitrate is 10 - 20 , high light, Co2 pressurized at 30 ppm. Flourite Black, the usual stuff.....

Advise.

2 weeks ago

To:

It was lush and green for the first week and then BANG..... growth is still high, I trimmed some yellow off and kept it low to the gravel.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #129
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

P.S: I think the answer to #3 is that the cost difference was minimal for the results achieved.

P.P.S: I keep expecting there to be a multiple choice exam that we get graded on at the end of the week.

P.P.P.S: Oh god it's rubbing off on me.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:58 AM   #130
orchidman
Planted Tank Guru

thats alot of P.S.'s!!
Old 03-22-2012, 03:54 AM   #131
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

i have green bacter (came free with some ADA stuff i bought), but never used it cuz i have no idea what it actually is. ive heard "bacteria cultures" and "bacteria food", but which bacteria and what form of food?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:14 AM   #132
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Hello Flying,

My apologies for missing your question. Your solution is to increase the dosage of potassium in the system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
I guess you missed my post.... anyways...

Dosing EI, Nitrate is 10 - 20 , high light, Co2 pressurized at 30 ppm. Flourite Black, the usual stuff.....

Advise.

2 weeks ago

To:

It was lush and green for the first week and then BANG..... growth is still high, I trimmed some yellow off and kept it low to the gravel.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:22 AM   #133
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Hey Frank! How you doing down there in TX?

Seattle_Aquarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #134
FlyingHellFish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'll try that, thanks for the suggestion.
FlyingHellFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:17 AM   #135
Drink_soy_sauce
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Frank, what are the advantages of that style (MINI P-2 i think?) of outflow? Tanks looking great, by the way!

Tags
francis wazeter, francis xavier, frank wazeter, nature aquarium, planted tank how to