Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout - Page 7
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #91
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Okay, let's get into some more nuts and bolts. You're here to learn, aren't you? Or are you here for my stunningly handsome persona? What's that? you say it's just to learn something? Well, fine, then:

How to Plant & Plan for a Mixed Carpet

So you've got your layout and you've decided on what plants you want to use, and you know basically what you want to achieve (because you've done some visualization right? if you still haven't, refer back to the end of the first post).

For this Mini M, I had a laundry list prepared, but only ended up using the following plants:

Riccia Fluitans
Hemianthus Callicthroides
Willow Moss
Eleocharis Acicularis
Mini Microsword
Echinodorus Tennellus

Before you begin to plant, you're going to have to decide on where and how to plant things. In other words you need a basic plan as to how you want the aquarium to look and grow out.

In order for you to successfully pull this off you need to have a knowledge of what pattern the plants grow in, how fast they grow and where to place them.

If you don't have much experience with growing the individual species you use, I highly recommend you practice on growing individual carpets of plants.

Because it is difficult to truly pull off a mixed carpet (due to the trimming methods and growth patterns) I highly recommend you focus on just growing a single carpet plant at a time before you dive into a full-fledged mixed carpet that involves multiple plants you've never worked with before, then start combining carpet plants you've worked with in the past to create a synthesis of the types.

Anyway, so first let's subdivide our plants to work with into categories, for this layout I divided them as such:

Background Primary: E. Acicularis, Mini Microsword (touch)
Foreground & right side: HC, Riccia
Midground, focal point left: Willow Moss (primary), E. Tenellus (touch)

Preparing the Plants

The easiest part of setting up the layout is the actual planting, the hardest part is the preparation. Once the plants are prepped, it takes the little time to actually finish the planting (comparatively).

I start with the most PITA plants first: in this case, tying Riccia to stones (because it floats otherwise), and Willow Moss to porous stones (for attachment).

Plant #1: Pre-prep and Riccia

Healthy Riccia, if your riccia looks any different (unless in emmersed form), don't use it. Riccia spoils easy, so only use green riccia, and remove all brown or decaying riccia, otherwise your plants will suffer later (follow through with this for every plant).

Tools: Riccia Line, Trimming Scissors, Riccia Stones (flat stones)

Before you start, use a spray bottle to wet the stones, this makes it easier for Riccia to "stick" to the stones, consequently making it easier for you to tie the Riccia to the stone.

Riccia never attaches to stone, so it's important to use wire / line that will never disattach. When you are tying the line to the stone, make horizontal patterns across, then corresponding vertical patterns (creating a checkerboard of string tying it to the stone), and knot at the bottom of the stone. Use a thin layer of Riccia on the stone for best growth and do your best to get riccia to cover all four corners.

I couldn't get any pictures of tying the stones, as it takes both hands to do the tying and couldn't use the phone camera. But here's what the finished product should look like:

Next up: Willow Moss. Moss will eventually attach itself to surfaces, so for tying moss, use a type of cotton (Moss Cotton), which will dissolve over time.

Tools: Porous Stones, Trimming Scissors, Moss Cotton

Healthy Willow Moss (again,don't use any browned out plant matter) :

You'll just quickly tie together as much moss as you can. Moss grows slowly, so for a carpet of any means, to out compete riccia and hc, etc. Start out with much more than you think you need.

Wrap firmly around the stone, and tie your knot underneath the stone like the riccia stone.

Next: Hemianthus Callicthroides

Divide the pots HC come into like so:

Make sure you use pincettes to remove any excess cotton wool from the plant roots.

Make sure to wash the plants in water (even moss and riccia) before planting and tying, this removes dirt, debris and dead leaves from the plants, look at the cup of water and see the built up dirt!

Divide HC evenly into clumps:

Repeat this pattern for Hair Grass (Eleocharis Acicularis), Microsword and E. Tenellus.

Now, Planting the Tank:

Tools: Fine-tipped Pincettes

Before you begin planting, mist down the soil with a spray bottle for ease, and raise the water level to even with the lower substrate line (this makes it much easier for you to plant.

First things first, lay down Riccia stones. Position them around main stones and in areas where you want the most growth. Here I'm emphasizing the back right and front and right corners most, so that's where the Riccia goes.

Next, lay down the Moss Stones, these are situated for me at the left for the primary focal point, behind the secondary stones.

You should lay these plants down first because they will act as a guideline for the rest of the plants for proper mixing.

After the moss and the Riccia, I went ahead and planted the hair grass evenly spaced in the back. For hair grass like this, you only need to plant a little bit, because of how fast it grows.

The Final planting step is to plant HC between all the riccia stones, and across the main panel as it's the primary carpet plant to grow between riccia.

Adding a touch of Tennellus between the moss stones will ensure they grow together with a pleasant contrast, and planting the microsword behind the main stone and as a touch around the right focal point and the left adds an extra layer of texture to the layout.

Finished Planting:

P.S. if you've found these techniques valuable, help share the information with new comers by linking back here in your own journals when you use my techniques!
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 10:08 PM   #92
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

great in-depth look of the planting frank!

curious on the "mini" microsword used here, what sp. of lilaeopsis is that?
Salmons ADA 75-P Rockscape on DSM / 13g Rimless / 12g Rimless Club / 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
salmon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #93
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Salmon,

It's Brasiliensis. Honestly, this plant, depending on how it grows, may or may not have to be removed down the road. It's the only plant that's kind of a catch 22. It could go either way in the end.

P.S. if you've found these techniques valuable, help share the information with new comers by linking back here in your own journals when you use my techniques!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #94
salmon
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Salmon,

It's Brasiliensis. Honestly, this plant, depending on how it grows, may or may not have to be removed down the road. It's the only plant that's kind of a catch 22. It could go either way in the end.
Thanks for that Frank. From my experience (which isn't much) it does looks great when interspersed in a mixed carpet, but when trimming time comes, trying to properly trim the HC/DHG around it is where I had to draw the line and hack it all. that and it likes to run way too much. I'll try and dig up a photo of my mixed layout.

Subscribed btw....keep these great posts coming!
Salmons ADA 75-P Rockscape on DSM / 13g Rimless / 12g Rimless Club / 12g rimless - not yet started / Cannon Pimp Club #009 -T3i
salmon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 12:40 AM   #95
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Although I appreciate the tank for what it is, I have to say I think it appears to be a proof-of-concept rather than a planned aquascape. Well that's not fair to say actually, it was very, very well thought out. But thought out to prove that this could be done. But that's not to say it's a bad thing. I like it though. Just throwing that out there.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:01 AM   #96
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

No, It's definitely a planned aquascape.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #97
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Back to the daily maintenance on this tank:

Day 4 water change was about 75-80%. For the record, this photograph illustrates to you why I do water changes every day during the first week:

You can't detect that green tintish-water while it's in the aquarium, it just looks completely clear. It's comprised of decaying plant / melting plant matter and algae spores. So, an ounce of preventative maintenance is your number one secret to success.

Again, 10 minutes total time spent in changing water. No pruning today, but I've begun to add Brighty K now that the plants have settled a bit.

Upside down due to camera fun. Aerial shot of fertilizers are fun. Only one squirt of Brighty K.

Don't forget, also adding 5 drops of Green Bacter at this point.

On another note: here's the aquarium for today at a different angle than before.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:26 AM   #98
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Love that diffuser, Frank.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:02 AM   #99
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

It's a great design for a nano, unfortunately they do not come standard with the co2 advanced system.

Which reminds me, I promised you a few photos of the Maintenance Stand I in another thread:

While normally I would agree with you that the boxes should incur a "wtf," response in correlation to what's sitting on them, but in this particular case they are filled with Aqua Journals and what not, so it's rather appropriate. Or something.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:22 AM   #100
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

Man, no matter what you think of ADA, they really do have a superbly cohesive looking product line.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #101
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
P.P.S. If you're just starting a new planted tank or thinking of redoing your layout, this is the perfect time to join in and follow along from start to finish!

P.P.P.S. Have you subscribed to and shared this thread yet? If you haven't, what are you waiting for!

Sub! , good timing as I'm trying to grow a carpet of HC Cuba and would love to follow your progress.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #102
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

Quote:
It's a great design for a nano, unfortunately they do not come standard with the co2 advanced system.

Which reminds me, I promised you a few photos of the Maintenance Stand I in another thread.

While normally I would agree with you that the boxes should incur a "wtf," response in correlation to what's sitting on them, but in this particular case they are filled with Aqua Journals and what not, so it's rather appropriate. Or something.
Nice! Thanks man, that looks awesome.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #103
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Keeping in line with the spirit of having things updated on the fly:

Riccia growth on Day 4: It's beginning to perk up and go vertical (a good thing).

Speaking of Riccia, it's an interesting plant: here's a species which is basically really moody. I've seen Riccia change color hues, growth appearance, etc. All based on where it is in the light cycle for the day and whether or not you gave it compliments when the lights turned on or not.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #104
houseofcards
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

Riccia is definitely one of my favs and I could see why it was used so much by Amano to get this NA thing going. Also probably one of the most prolific pearlers out there.

BTW very nice scape!
houseofcards is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #105
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Riccia is definitely one of my favs and I could see why it was used so much by Amano to get this NA thing going. Also probably one of the most prolific pearlers out there.

BTW very nice scape!
I am in complete agreement here, and thank you for the compliment.

I'll give you a hint of my scapes to follow for a while: they will involve riccia.

Tags
francis wazeter, francis xavier, frank wazeter, nature aquarium, planted tank how to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.