Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout - Page 51
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #751
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Next:

Then From Algae Mess to Clean in 3 days:

Second Day:

Day 3:

The Tank on June 15:

The Tank June 30th:

July 9th:

Yesterday:

Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #752
alkatraz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Wow just spent ~4 hours over 2 days reading this epic thread from start to finish. Fantastic info and great to see some healthy, constructive debate/discussion in here as well. Thank you for sharing Frank!! Subscribed
alkatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 04:33 AM   #753
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

It's been a while. I apologize about that.

I've been all over the place lately and the aquariums are more or less on auto-pilot.

This tank might look familiar - and it would if you've watched this video by Khoa Pham.

Upon Khoa's passing, I inherited the setup that he put together some 2 years ago, a 60-F system that under the cabinet looked like a car you might see in Fast and the Furious.

He had clearly been in the middle of something new at the time of the tear down. The process of disassembly took most of the afternoon - not because it was particularly complicated, but rather because I could tell his sister had been effected by the whole process of managing the belongings he left behind. Very carefully I took it apart, piece by piece, cleaning each item back to it's originally condition and placing them back in the original boxes that left my hands some 2 years ago, now returning in an odd twist of fate.

There's a deeper philosophical meaning behind all of this - about the temporeal aspect of Nature Aquarium. Perhaps a reflection of our lives and the temporary imprints we put on the earth.

In the end, Nature Aquarium is what we make it. It can be a precise measurement of science or it can take on deep philosophical meanings and become reflections of our personalities and outlook on life.

A long overdue update photo of the Mini M

Layouts take on a life and whimsy of their own - in part a reflection of us, in part a reflection on what we want to be and where we want to go. They contain our dreams and aspirations; past and present. Their temporary imprints on the world bring joy, frustration, excitement, creation and ultimately destruction. Each new layout is a clean slate and a new opportunity for learning, free of the restrictions of it's predecessor.

There's much we can learn from that.

Ultimately, it is whatever you make it to be and nothing more.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #754
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

A very philosophical and heartfelt post. Always something worth reading from you, Frank. Hopefully Khoa's family is doing well...The tanks look amazing. Any plans to setup the 60-F in memory of your friend, or what's happening with all that lovely equipment? From reading his thread, he put a lot of work into the tank...
Old 08-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #755
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

love the way the mini m is looking.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #756
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Thanks Marko!

In other news, ADG's resident dog, heretofore referred to as Demon Dog (a doberman), ate my Riccia.

Now this particular Doberman has an affinity for aquariums - not the aquariums themselves, but for messing with anything aquaria related. While spending any time doing maintenance on an aquarium she will steal anything from nets to algae pads to buckets and as fast as possible run across the way.

Indeed, on my desk there were quite a few items, including:

Lunch
Paperwork
Riccia in Ziplock bags.

Out of all the options, she immediately went for the Riccia, foregoing Lunch and Paperwork, opened the ziplock bags and devoured the contents inside. Consequently, she spent the next 20 minutes running around ADG with a ziplock bag covering her mouth (she didn't eat any of the bag itself, rather tore it open and ate the Riccia) knowing precisely what she was guilty of.

Suddenly, I have an idea for a new, all natural dog treat.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #757
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Now I'm starting to wonder where you got the Riccia for my shipment yesterday...
Old 08-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #758
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
Now I'm starting to wonder where you got the Riccia for my shipment yesterday...
I did mention it was freshly fertilized, no?
Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #759
SaltyNC
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
In other news, ADG's resident dog, heretofore referred to as Demon Dog (a doberman), ate my Riccia.

Suddenly, I have an idea for a new, all natural dog treat.
Maybe that's the secret ingredient in crack-for-dogs (aka Greenies).
SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #760
freph
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
I did mention it was freshly fertilized, no?
Remind me to stay away from special ADG exclusive all-natural wabi-kusa.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:22 AM   #761
Stussi613

PTrader: (0/0%)

Frank,

I, like someone else mentioned, just spent a few hours each evening for the last few days reading this journal in its entirety. I came cross it in the nano forum after posting some shots of my Fluval Edge looking for critique/advice - i noticed it mainly because of the title.

I've learned quite a bit and gotten some great ideas for what I'm going to do with the tank from reading your journal.

Your tanks look amazing and I appreciate all the effort you've gone through to lay out your methods and show the results. Thanks for that.

I also want to say that in reading about your friend that passed away and your deep and resounding sorrow for his passing that I can't help but respect you and commend you for dedicating this journal to him. Thanks for that too.
Stussi613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:04 AM   #762
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

The mini-M looks fantastic I admit to being a bit skeptical at first, but that riccia looks delicious... er, I mean... great!
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #763
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stussi613 View Post
Frank,

I, like someone else mentioned, just spent a few hours each evening for the last few days reading this journal in its entirety. I came cross it in the nano forum after posting some shots of my Fluval Edge looking for critique/advice - i noticed it mainly because of the title.

I've learned quite a bit and gotten some great ideas for what I'm going to do with the tank from reading your journal.

Your tanks look amazing and I appreciate all the effort you've gone through to lay out your methods and show the results. Thanks for that.

I also want to say that in reading about your friend that passed away and your deep and resounding sorrow for his passing that I can't help but respect you and commend you for dedicating this journal to him. Thanks for that too.
Thanks a lot for the feedback Stussi! I'm glad that you've gained value out of the journal process.

It's an odd thing - this hobby, especially at the professional level. I believe connections are more readily formed due to the niche culture of the hobby itself and the intense teacher / student, mentor / mentee relationships that form to pass on knowledge. As such, most people move beyond "just a customer," and into new realms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
The mini-M looks fantastic I admit to being a bit skeptical at first, but that riccia looks delicious... er, I mean... great!
Thanks!
Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #764
Ajax_xajA
Algae Grower

Turned this into a well-spent 2-3 hours of reading at work

I can't remember if you've addressed this in previous posts, but how do you maintain the riccia carpet looking at a long-term tank? I'm thinking of starting a mini riccia carpet held down with SS mesh, but from what I've heard, it's a high maintenance plant that requires a lot of trimming and retying. Any way around all of this?

Regardless, thanks for all the info, it was a wonderful read and I'm glad that you took out the time to do this for all of us. Beautiful pictures!
Ajax_xajA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 03:21 AM   #765
javajaws
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thanks Marko!

LOL I knew that dog was trouble! I think she's trying to tell you she needs a little doberman playmate named Riccy.
javajaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
francis wazeter, francis xavier, frank wazeter, nature aquarium, planted tank how to