Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout - Page 50
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 07-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #736
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

In Memoriam.

Cube Garden 60-F Iwagumi

I received a phone call today. The kind of phone call you never wish for, but will inevitably receive. While at the office, there was a phone message from a client and friend of mine's sister - pondering this occurrence, I picked up the phone.

Immediately his sister mentioned having visited once and asked me if I had remembered a customer named Khoa Pham. I said "of course I remember Khoa, I hear he got into medical school, how's he doing?"

She corrected me with the specific field of study and mentioned how hard he had worked, and with some hesitation told me "well, I don't know if you've heard, but...Khoa past. He always spoke very highly of you, and I...just wanted you to know."

This was incredibly shocking news to receive. I remember Khoa very well. The real answer to her question is Khoa was my first real customer shortly after joining ADG and taking over ADA USA in August 2010.

Of course there were plenty of people before him who had bought things from me - but he was the first person I taught aquascaping to and the first person who fully engaged in the complete philosophy of Nature Aquarium. The first real customer I ever had. The kind of person who was passionate about his hobby and always eager to learn more. I sensed that he probably really enjoyed life as well. He was an upbeat and positive guy, enthusiastic all around.

The video I've linked is his. Somehow the scape and the music is extremely fitting.

In what little way I had an impact on his life, I'm grateful for it. I'm grateful that he was able to find incredible enjoyment from Nature Aquarium, and I'm grateful that he made this video that I can share with you today while in remembrance.

I've decided to dedicate my IAPLC 2012 layout entry to him. You can find it listed here, though I'm not able to reveal which one it is directly.

Thank's Khoa. Thanks for being so great.

Last edited by Francis Xavier; 07-11-2012 at 11:33 PM.. Reason: typo
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 11:52 PM   #737
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

That is very unfortunate news to hear... I remember seeing his 60-F journal, it was one of the reasons I decided to make the jump to an ADA tank. Very sad to hear, considering how young he must have been. Rest in peace.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:53 PM   #738
Hayden
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

This was my favorite tank, so sad to know he's passed.
Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #739
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
In Memoriam.

Cube Garden 60-F Iwagumi

I received a phone call today. The kind of phone call you never wish for, but will inevitably receive. While at the office, there was a phone message from a client and friend of mine's sister - pondering this occurrence, I picked up the phone.

Immediately his sister mentioned having visited once and asked me if I had remembered a customer named Khoa Pham. I said "of course I remember Khoa, I hear he got into medical school, how's he doing?"

She corrected me with the specific field of study and mentioned how hard he had worked, and with some hesitation told me "well, I don't know if you've heard, but...Khoa past. He always spoke very highly of you, and I...just wanted you to know."

This was incredibly shocking news to receive. I remember Khoa very well. The real answer to her question is Khoa was my first real customer shortly after joining ADG and taking over ADA USA in August 2010.

Of course there were plenty of people before him who had bought things from me - but he was the first person I taught aquascaping to and the first person who fully engaged in the complete philosophy of Nature Aquarium. The first real customer I ever had. The kind of person who was passionate about his hobby and always eager to learn more. I sensed that he probably really enjoyed life as well. He was an upbeat and positive guy, enthusiastic all around.

The video I've linked is his. Somehow the scape and the music is extremely fitting.

In what little way I had an impact on his life, I'm grateful for it. I'm grateful that he was able to find incredible enjoyment from Nature Aquarium, and I'm grateful that he made this video that I can share with you today while in remembrance.

I've decided to dedicate my IAPLC 2012 layout entry to him. You can find it listed here, though I'm not able to reveal which one it is directly.

Thank's Khoa. Thanks for being so great.
So sorry about your friend. RIP.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2012, 01:28 AM   #740
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

i remember that tank.
thats pretty sad.
you have my condolences.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:55 AM   #741
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

That tank was actually one of the ones that got me into the whole planted tank scene. RIP to a truly inspirational aquascaper and person.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:21 AM   #742
theblondskeleton
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

A great tribute, Frank. And his tank reflected a talent and passion for what you introduced to him. Sorry for your loss.
theblondskeleton is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #743
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

I shall pass on all your well wishes to the family in the letter I am writing them tonight.

I've decided that I'll put my mind to writing a book on Nature Aquarium.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:50 PM   #744
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
I've decided that I'll put my mind to writing a book on Nature Aquarium.
not a bad idea, id certainly buy a copy.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #745
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
not a bad idea, id certainly buy a copy.
Likewise.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #746
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Question

Just a quick photo update of the 60-P, it's currently won my favorite child award between it and the Mini M for now.

Honestly, it has everything to do with this amazing Rotala Colorata thicket:

Close up:

and, since the green glow on top blocks a top down view, this was the first time I really got a look from the top:

The key has been repeat trimmings in a gradient, green gain, ECA and alternating between special lights and step 1.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:55 AM   #747
2wheelsx2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I agree, the Rotala thicket makes the scape.
Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
2wheelsx2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #748
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

+1
LOVE the rotala
Old 07-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #749
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Frank, can you explain trimming in a gradient? Do you mean trimming the outsides shorter than the middle to create the rounded effect? Do you trim the entire area at the same time or do alternating stems so that the bush does not show the trim as much?
Ozydego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #750
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozydego View Post
Frank, can you explain trimming in a gradient? Do you mean trimming the outsides shorter than the middle to create the rounded effect? Do you trim the entire area at the same time or do alternating stems so that the bush does not show the trim as much?
Sure, I can explain it.

Number one is that when you trim, it's best to just trim everything you can - so when I go to trim the thicket, I also trim the Riccia, etc. Though in cases like Riccia and Rotala Colorata in this instance at the very least, they outgrow everything in the tank, so I won't always trim the Tennellus, etc. with them.

This is why it's important to stick to a few core plant types and slowly get more complicated as your scaping and pruning skills evolve rather than always using new plants. Learn their growth rates, etc. For trimming. The Didiplis Diandra for example can't really be trimmed at all since it's so slow growing.

As for the trim technique itself you can see it expressed better here:

Essentially you are doing your trimming in a diagonal line - trim shorter in the front, taller in the back. Over time you get a gradient of stems going backwards.

As you continue to trim and prune a stem plant mass, they get thicker as they grow back with two nodes replacing the original, and this is how you get the thick and lush look.

Tags
francis wazeter, francis xavier, frank wazeter, nature aquarium, planted tank how to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.