Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout - Page 40
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #586
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Hey flying,

In nano tanks I do not use a noon day burst - only in larger tanks such as 90-P, which makes it effective.

My photoperiod on all aquariums is 10 hours. If using noon burst then 2 low-6 high-2 low. You could even try 3-4-3.

For your layout, on this aquarium I would focus on plant health and growing - learn how the plants grow and how they flourish. Then on your next layout go for an all-out aquascape using the knowledge you've gained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
Hey Frank, not sure if you listed this but what is your photo period like? Do you do the whole "burst noon" lighting?

Any tips for improving my layout?

Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #587
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

In two hours, noon CST, I'll be talking on Aqua Botanic's Radio Show.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/aquabotanic
Old 05-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #588
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

You can find a recording on my talk here if you missed it:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/aquabot...-frank-wazeter

As for the Mini-M, it continues to grow back and be enjoyable.

It'll be time to trim that Riccia again very soon. I might even trim it at the next water change.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #589
mluk27
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

You know, although people were skeptical in the beginning about using ADA products and your methods but, your results sure speak for themselves. I dont see your tank overun by algae and everything has grown in nice and healthy. If only my tank was doing so well lol
mluk27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 05:46 PM   #590
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Mluk,

I must say that, this aquarium is really what a planted tank should be. Not for it's design - the design aesthetic is up to your personal choice.

Rather, for it's relative ease of maintenance, hands-on involvement with the temporal changes of the aquarium (trimming) and enjoyment of the tank.

Up front, I invested time and effort to set it up and set it up right.

Now I spend about 10-20 minutes a week to clean glass and do a water change and I can spend the rest of the week just feeding the fish and dosing the tank, both are hands-on enjoyable experiences.

For many, this layout would be complete - but now it's in the fine trimming / pruning / sculpting phase.

This means I am trimming back elements and waiting for others (moss) to grow to meet a final vision.

The thing of it is - if you mess up in your first month it takes 400 times more effort to accomplish the same result - more headache, more prone to start over, etc.

It's fascinating to watch as the Riccia responds to trimming - each time getting thinner and more compact. I know I've done it right when I can look at the bottom of the Riccia and not see any rotten / black Riccia. It's healthy from top to bottom.

The tenellus coming in crimson red is a huge bonus, and the HC is impeccable.

This is exactly what I want for everyone here - this experience.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #591
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Okay, to revisit the Low-Tech Challenge.

Here's my plan so far.

*I plan on using a 12-inch Cube aquarium.
*Powerhead / sponge filter attachment. (basically just a pump).
*No Co2 or excel.

The Substrate System Plan:

Since I will need to rely even more so on the substrate for biological filtration, I'll use power sand with the addition of Bacter 100 and Clear Super. The actual substrate itself will likely be something like just sand or oiso gravel.

I don't want to overload the substrate with nutrients - since it will be a precise balance game. I can supplement with liquid fertilizers to make up for the gap, or deploy root fertilizers in certain spots if need be. The substrate's most important role at this point will be biological filtration.

The Co2 Plan:

DIY Yeast: eliminated as option, the inconsistency of the yeast system is a problem I don't want to deal with - BBA, namely, would show up with such a system. Also, it wouldn't be able to turn off at night, preventing oxygenation.

Excel: eliminated as a primary option, may be a secondary option, but the fact that it dissolves after 24 hours is a bit concerning. I may come back to this one, but I still consider it a last resort.

Excel is kind of an emergency go-to for me; if a tank is just way out of whack, then it's a good back up. Otherwise it's not really necessary.

The current plan is to basically do small water changes daily using carbonated water. We'll see how that goes.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #592
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Frank, the next challenge you are planning on sounds interesting and fascinating enough to have its own thread with a related title so it would be easy to find into posterity.

Thanks for doing this, it's very educative and hassle saving for fellow aquascapers.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #593
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Speaking of hassle,

I would say that going through the process for "low-tech," is infinitely more hassle than the cost of simply going pressurized!
Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #594
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Speaking of hassle,

I would say that going through the process for "low-tech," is infinitely more hassle than the cost of simply going pressurized!
What I consider my "low tech" its so boringly stable that I thought exactly the opposite .

One thing to consider is that I may be out of the "low tech" description (if there is any) because of my overfiltration. Which I believe (dunno really) its the trick. I literally top off with DI + 30ppm of GH from mosura mineral plus. water change to come back to 100tds when I hit 120+tds (every 3-4 months?). That is it.

Maybe Akadama DRL is not really inert after all, although I cant measure any nutrients with my test yet in the water column.

Nothing fancy in my tank tho, its pretty simple scape with mostly stems.

Therefore Im really exited to see what you are going to do, it will improve my aquascaping possibilities greatly!!

Looking forward for the next lesson Frank!

PS I saw that you added a index in the first post! very clever, that rules out my previous suggestion!

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #595
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Does the timeline on this tank follow the posting dates?
(Born on date) Setting the substrate, filling etc. through the present postings.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #596
becks17
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)

What's going to be your source of carbonated water? Will it be store bought bottles/cans like Amano first used? Isn't that going to be comparatively more expensive?
Old 05-16-2012, 06:37 PM   #597
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Does the timeline on this tank follow the posting dates?
(Born on date) Setting the substrate, filling etc. through the present postings.
Yes, this journal follows the dates as they occurred. The only move around was the setup (which occurred all in one night but the how to was posted over a few days).
Old 05-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #598
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by becks17 View Post
What's going to be your source of carbonated water? Will it be store bought bottles/cans like Amano first used? Isn't that going to be comparatively more expensive?
I havent decided yet - using a simple pressurized system you can produce carbonated water for about $.04 per 2 liters. That or wholesale canisters.

That being said, during this process te importance isn't cost, but to determine thresholds and other methods of Co2 delivery - a reverse engineering if you will.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:04 PM   #599
becks17
Algae Grower

PTrader: (15/100%)

Yeah, that makes sense and I'm excited to see the outcome. Though I think it'd also be interesting as a "low-tech" challenge to see the aquascape possibilities using equipment "on a budget" for those new to the hobby, whom might be hesitant to front the high initial costs of "high-tech" equipment and supplies. That'd might be another project for another time.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #600
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Really, I've got more aquascaping ideas than tanks to put them in, so there won't be any shortage!

Tags
francis wazeter, francis xavier, frank wazeter, nature aquarium, planted tank how to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.