Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout - Page 26
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #376
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

that growth is absolutely amazing. it usually takes me 2x that long to get a carpet going. i mean, riccia always grows very fast, but i could never coax that kind of growth out of HC.
i think ill invest in some of that bacterial additive you put in the substrate, see if maybe thats the difference...

Old 04-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #377
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

My HC new growth is green and looking a lot better, thanks.
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #378
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Happy Easter to everyone who celebrates it!
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2012, 09:40 PM   #379
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
that growth is absolutely amazing. it usually takes me 2x that long to get a carpet going. i mean, riccia always grows very fast, but i could never coax that kind of growth out of HC.
i think ill invest in some of that bacterial additive you put in the substrate, see if maybe thats the difference...
Thank you marko! Remember that the difference is likely the sum total of the whole technique / usage as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
My HC new growth is green and looking a lot better, thanks.
Great! I'm glad your carpet is turning around!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #380
DTDPlanted
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Happy Easter to everyone who celebrates it!
Happy Easter Frank! I have a question for you. I have a 38gal deep tank (24"Dx31"L) which has been gathering dust for many years, I'm considering possibly planting it. However, since i have all that vertical space I'm wondering if you have seen anything using some sort of levels or natural shelves where more can be planted? I'm thinking some kind of fabricated natural stone looking shelf, or a great flat piece of stone cut to fit a corner, and placed about middle of the water column, or staggered. and then laying down substrate on it and planting it. Any experience with this? I would really like to see some pictures or DIY info if you know of any.
Here is a crude attempt to explain my idea, LOL
|===_===|
| _|
|_ |
|_______ |
DTDPlanted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 02:44 AM   #381
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

DTDP... what about a riparium? Less vertical space and two world to work in...
Ozydego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 02:48 AM   #382
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

I was meditating earlier today. How do I further explain the benefits of "The Method," so you can see first hand what to do? The Method may seem complex, but is ultimately, very easy to understand.

Many of you are already doing it to some extent, but not the full potential.

I then thought to myself, "well, the most valuable learning tools have always been step-by-step journals." You can follow along through the troubles and tribulations, and see how things are responded to.

With this, I had an idea: What if I made a challenge?

And with the idea of a challenge in mind, I've got the perfect learning tool. One which even I can't predict the outcome yet and here's why:

I'm going to let you CHALLENGE me on a "low-tech," tank to prove the merits of The Method

Here's the skinny:

I'm going to let TPT determine my next Nano Layout. The 'budget,' will be restricted and using The Method, the objective is to make a stunning layout.

So here's the parameters:

You decide what the plants will be.
You decide what the limitations on equipment will be.
You decide how much I can spend within reasoning.

The only thing I'll start with is a nano Rimless aquarium (since this has nothing to do with how the 'scape' turns out and the plants grow) and $50 maximum budget allowed to use at my discretion.

With a popular consensus, I'll tackle the challenge, use the principles and techniques of The Method and we'll see firsthand together the results.

The direct objective is to create a "low-tech," tank which is set by current standards and show the effectiveness of The Method.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:53 AM   #383
mluk27
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Very cool idea Frank, I think this will be a great contribution to the community.
mluk27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 03:27 AM   #384
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

I want to see you do a manzanita driftwood lay out with petit, bolbitis or java fern, moss, a bunch of "beginner" stems that are readily available in the S&S at any given time, and a three plant mixed foreground with hair grass, glosso, and riccia.

You can only use AS + bacter 100 and clear super for the substrate
Brighty K + step 1 through 3 for ferts plus one liquid additive.
DIY co2 only.
Lighting is up to you, as long as there's an equivalent alternative fixture available for under 100$. Hard mode: you use a desk lamp.
For kicks, I'm going to say you should use an aquaclear HOB filter, but you could cheat and just say that for the price of that + your 50$ you saved up for a 2211 instead
you only get to use one pair of scissors, and one pair of tweezers

Your total budget has to come out under 200-300$ if you were to buy everything new, hardscape and plants included, tank not included, with an itemized list of your costs.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #385
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
I want to see you do a manzanita driftwood lay out with petit, bolbitis or java fern, moss, a bunch of "beginner" stems that are readily available in the S&S at any given time, and a three plant mixed foreground with hair grass, glosso, and riccia.

You can only use AS + bacter 100 and clear super for the substrate
Brighty K + step 1 through 3 for ferts plus one liquid additive.
DIY co2 only.
Lighting is up to you, as long as there's an equivalent alternative fixture available for under 100$. Hard mode: you use a desk lamp.
For kicks, I'm going to say you should use an aquaclear HOB filter, but you could cheat and just say that for the price of that + your 50$ you saved up for a 2211 instead
you only get to use one pair of scissors, and one pair of tweezers

Your total budget has to come out under 200-300$ if you were to buy everything new, hardscape and plants included, tank not included, with an itemized list of your costs.
If this is going to be a low tech budget tank then I think you could trim it down a bit more and be more stereotypical (that's the goal here, right?). For example, one of the popular low budget methods is to use organic potting soil and a sand cap. The desk lamp is perfect. HOB filter is even better.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:49 AM   #386
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
If this is going to be a low tech budget tank then I think you could trim it down a bit more and be more stereotypical (that's the goal here, right?). For example, one of the popular low budget methods is to use organic potting soil and a sand cap. The desk lamp is perfect. HOB filter is even better.
It's pretty obvious that his 50$ discretion was going to be used on AS + bacter 100 and clear super anyway, and I don't blame him. He's said as much right in the thread, that if you were to get the bare minimum, get those.

TBH, there's not really any reason to use potting soil in nanos when AS is so readily available.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:02 AM   #387
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
It's pretty obvious that his 50$ discretion was going to be used on AS + bacter 100 and clear super anyway, and I don't blame him. He's said as much right in the thread, that if you were to get the bare minimum, get those.

TBH, there's not really any reason to use potting soil in nanos when AS is so readily available.
Doesn't matter if the AS is readily available or not, does it? Low tech is still low tech. I think there should be some more specifics about what this $50 discretion can and can't include. Rather, I think the entirety what we can suggest for him to use would be more adequate...
Old 04-09-2012, 04:20 AM   #388
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
Doesn't matter if the AS is readily available or not, does it? Low tech is still low tech. I think there should be some more specifics about what this $50 discretion can and can't include. Rather, I think the entirety what we can suggest for him to use would be more adequate...
Why can't AS be low tech?

It's a hobby fallacy that "low tech" has to = Walstad NPT with dirt and ugly plants. If he really wanted to go low tech, he could just use inert. That's even cheaper and comes without a lot of the hassles of potting soil. Have you ever tried to look for potting soil for aquaria? I have, it's even MORE of a hassle to find than just ordering some AS and being done with it. That's not even getting into the ridiculous process of mineralized soil. Really, you only start seeing benefits with potting soil when you start getting into triple digits gallon wise.

Part of the point of "the method" is to get it right the first time. How many successful and attractive nano tanks have you seen long term with potting soil? I've seen about none. How many tanks of varying "tech" level have you seen using AS? A whole lot.

What comes down to it, is it's his challenge, so if he wants 50$ to cover his bases against, well, having to use potting soil, those are his terms. I have no doubt that if TPT really had their way, it would end with forcing him to de-rim a 2.5 in a cave with a box of scraps.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:31 AM   #389
frrok
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Why can't AS be low tech?

It's a hobby fallacy that "low tech" has to = Walstad NPT with dirt and ugly plants. If he really wanted to go low tech, he could just use inert. That's even cheaper and comes without a lot of the hassles of potting soil. Have you ever tried to look for potting soil for aquaria? I have, it's even MORE of a hassle to find than just ordering some AS and being done with it. That's not even getting into the ridiculous process of mineralized soil. Really, you only start seeing benefits with potting soil when you start getting into triple digits gallon wise.

Part of the point of "the method" is to get it right the first time. How many successful and attractive nano tanks have you seen long term with potting soil? I've seen about none. How many tanks of varying "tech" level have you seen using AS? A whole lot.

What comes down to it, is it's his challenge, so if he wants 50$ to cover his bases against, well, having to use potting soil, those are his terms. I have no doubt that if TPT really had their way, it would end with forcing him to de-rim a 2.5 in a cave with a box of scraps.
I have one with dirt for almost a year and it looks decent, imo. But I agree that it is def a hassle if you don't do it right. I made mistakes for sure. but if your patient it can look really nice. And I can find the right kind of dirt very easily in home depot but i would have to order aquasoil online and pay for shipping. I live in nyc, cant get aquasoil in any LFS.
But anyway, this sounds like a pretty good experiment. cant wait to see the result.
The Fraternity of Dirt #11
Wabi-kusa Pimp #6

25cm Cube

ADA MINI-M Journal

ADA MINI-M REDUX
frrok is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #390
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrok View Post
I have one with dirt for almost a year and it looks decent, imo. But I agree that it is def a hassle if you don't do it right. I made mistakes for sure. but if your patient it can look really nice. And I can find the right kind of dirt very easily in home depot but i would have to order aquasoil online and pay for shipping. I live in nyc, cant get aquasoil in any LFS.
But anyway, this sounds like a pretty good experiment. cant wait to see the result.
Basically everyone who isn't in Houston, CA, or Hawaii has to order online as well, but a lot of people still use it for a reason. What you're 'saving' by buying potting soil, you're just paying for later with your time and energy by actually having to deal with potting soil.

Tags
francis wazeter, francis xavier, frank wazeter, nature aquarium, planted tank how to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.