Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout - Page 18
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #256
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

So by moving the diffuser to the other side you're shifting CO2 concentration to the right and back as opposed to the front and right? That first picture really pops. Can't wait to see that HC and hairgrass fill in well. Any stocking numbers/ideas for this tank?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #257
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
So by moving the diffuser to the other side you're shifting CO2 concentration to the right and back as opposed to the front and right? That first picture really pops. Can't wait to see that HC and hairgrass fill in well. Any stocking numbers/ideas for this tank?
The "target" for Co2 with this positioning is to hit the left hand side, mostly left front. However, because of the small scale of the aquarium, and the way the eheim's flow distributes water against the panes of glass on the right, the right back gets pretty well hit as well.

The hairgrass will be fully grown very quickly.

It's hard to see it in pictures - but in person this aquarium almost "glows," green with a "sparkling" effect from the fresh growth + rampant pearling as light refracts through the pearls of oxygen.

I'm thinking about a dozen or so microrasbora of some kind. Undecided yet.
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #258
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Ahhh gotcha. I bet the pearling looks amazing! I can see bits of it here and there but you'd need a much better camera than the iPhone 4S to do it justice I'd imagine. What about algae crew? I'm trying to figure up numbers myself without crowding.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #259
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Ahhh gotcha. I bet the pearling looks amazing! I can see bits of it here and there but you'd need a much better camera than the iPhone 4S to do it justice I'd imagine. What about algae crew? I'm trying to figure up numbers myself without crowding.
My formula is 5 Amano shrimp, 1-2 oto cats for Mini M.

60-P is 10 Amano shrimp, 4 oto cats.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 PM   #260
2wheelsx2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
you'd need a much better camera than the iPhone 4S to do it justice I'd imagine.
The 4S actually is a pretty good camera. What lets it down the the inability of that tiny lens to gather enough light so to shoot properly you need huge amounts of light augmentation. Or you can get one of the add on gadget lenses, although I have not seen any shots with them yet. There are are actually several photo shoots on the internet showing how good the 4S is compared to a full on DSLR.
Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
2wheelsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #261
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
The 4S actually is a pretty good camera. What lets it down the the inability of that tiny lens to gather enough light so to shoot properly you need huge amounts of light augmentation. Or you can get one of the add on gadget lenses, although I have not seen any shots with them yet. There are are actually several photo shoots on the internet showing how good the 4S is compared to a full on DSLR.
Bonus points if you feed my laziness and provide me with links.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #262
2wheelsx2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Bonus points if you feed my laziness and provide me with links.
Sure thing. Here's one: http://vimeo.com/13081827

I forgot that it was with the 3GS, so the 4S should be even better.
Filstar pimp #59 (shhhh on the Eheim)
2wheelsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 02:56 AM   #263
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Just wanted to share with you an interesting article I just finished reading.

If you read it, make sure to read the whole thing. Learned a bit more about nitrifying bacteria. Always fun to expand knowledge in the subject.

http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/nitrogen-cycle
Old 03-29-2012, 04:13 AM   #264
FlyingHellFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelsx2 View Post
Sure thing. Here's one: http://vimeo.com/13081827

I forgot that it was with the 3GS, so the 4S should be even better.
You can make any camera look good with the amount of equipment that guy has, the subject (models) are what makes the picture....

Speaking of models, anyone else get the impression that the rock in the middle is a supermodel turning around?
FlyingHellFish is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 06:12 AM   #265
FlyingGiraffes
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)

Fun journal to follow. Love the regular updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Allowing the scape to breath in open air for a few minutes (5 or so) every now and again will help prevent algae, since the exposure will help kill any residual algae spores, usually useful for non-serious algae types and purely for preventative measures.
I'm not an expert, but I thought certain species of freshwater algae can spread by wind, thus air exposure can't kill them.
FlyingGiraffes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 07:12 AM   #266
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGiraffes View Post

I'm not an expert, but I thought certain species of freshwater algae can spread by wind, thus air exposure can't kill them.
You're right.

Open air does nothing to most algae. Not sure where frank got that idea.
In times of stress and drought + and - cells of algae undergo syngamy and form a zygospore, protecting it from drying out for at least a couple weeks, but I think in some cases years.
When the zygospore is moist again gamete form inside it and it breaks up, releasing more algae spores.

5 or so minutes isn't likely to even be long enough to force the cells to form a zygospore, except maybe on the glass.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #267
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nice tank.
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2012, 03:34 PM   #268
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
You can make any camera look good with the amount of equipment that guy has, the subject (models) are what makes the picture....

Speaking of models, anyone else get the impression that the rock in the middle is a supermodel turning around?
Well I do now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingGiraffes View Post

It's not so much that letting the stones, etc get exposed to air kills all algae or is a precise algae remedy - because it's not. Perhaps I phrased it poorly.

It's more that little things like consistently draining the tank to a certain level and exposing objects to air helps to stymie the algae. There are two techniques that I noticed while maintaining the 60-P that affected the growth of algae.

One of the stones had a completely flat top, directly underneath the metal halide bulb. This flat top to the stone was almost always algae free - as well as other parts of other stones that were at the same water level.

Meanwhile other parts of the stones would take on green algae and become 'aged,' in appearance. All the while this spot in the area of most intense light remained spotless.

What it was, was that that spot was just a little higher than where I would drain the water level too. So it would get anywhere between 5 to 15 minutes of air exposure every week.

This was also the spot where new water was poured into the tank.

So, consequently, as I continued maintenance of the aquarium (this being during a time where there were no Amano shrimp in the tank), and progressively lowered the water line and kept consistently lowering the water line to that level every week, the algae line would start receding to that point.

Now, particularly volatile algae's, like BBA, of course this method has no effect.

The other technique I found that helps to rid algae is the process of "fluffing," plants while the tank is being drained and while they are exposed to air. This helps to remove excess build up around the plants.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #269
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Day 12:

Dosing: Green Brighty Step 1, Brighty K x1 squirt, Green Bacter x6 drops

I wasn't going to do anything on Day 12, however I ended up getting a wild desire to go ahead and trim the Riccia back on the right.

For trimming Riccia, I used Pro Scissors Spring type to maintain an even cut across the Riccia. Like my hair grass video, the technique was to trim short and trim evenly.

The only difference here is that rather than trim to the base like with hair grass, I'm trimming only about halfway down the total growth.

Many hobbyists like to take out the Riccia stones and trim them in another container to prevent the mess of the Riccia trim from getting everywhere.

However, I don't like the act of disturbing a layout by removing the Riccia stones, as my HC has already grown "into" the Riccia quite a bit.

And frankly, I'm counting on Riccia to spread everywhere in this layout, I want it entertwined immensely with the HC, even the moss. So a few strands escaping my netting strategy is no problems for me.

You can't notice it in the photo, but I tied more Riccia from the trim to a tiny stone and placed it in between the two support stones on the right.

This is where the real fun of a planted aquarium begins: sculpting the layout via trimming.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #270
zchauvin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

Looking good Frank, I'm suprised riccia grows that fast. Hopefully in 2 weeks mine will be close the same.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
zchauvin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
francis wazeter, francis xavier, frank wazeter, nature aquarium, planted tank how to

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.