Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout - Page 17
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #241
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

MODERATOR WARNING:

If you want to debate products, please start that in a different thread in the equipment forum rather than hijacking a journal.

Thanks everyone, and now back to Frank's lovely journal.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, August 11, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #242
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

Since frank sort of asked (well, more like he didn't say I couldn't) here's the original vs. "10% smaller" main stone, mocked up how I figure this'll grow in:

vs

The smaller stone just looks so sad. I think franks vision is that even more of the stones will be obscured, so there's that too.

I have to say, mocking it up really made me appreciate the moss/e. tennellus even more. I was kind of dubious, but It really draws the eye to the focal point of the main stone, while removing the microsword opens up up the entire right hand side into a sort of meadow. It's a really fantastic use of negative space, which is defintely under utilized in a lot of scapes (... like mine.)

That's what I get for doubting Frank, jeez.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #243
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Holy (insert your favorite word)!

That's an awesome rendering. I'm going to "repurpose" that immensely.
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #244
Ptjameso
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Love the rendering Dollface! Still following this journal and really enjoying it. I don't have any ADA products...yet but I'm very happy to be reading a journal like this. It has put me in a different mindset. I thoroughly enjoyed doing maintenance on my 20L today with about 60% water change and some trimming/ removing unwanted or excessive plants. It surely helped a lot. Thanks again Frank for creating this journal for everyone!
Ptjameso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #245
Chlorophile
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
Since frank sort of asked (well, more like he didn't say I couldn't) here's the original vs. "10% smaller" main stone, mocked up how I figure this'll grow in:

vs

The smaller stone just looks so sad. I think franks vision is that even more of the stones will be obscured, so there's that too.

I have to say, mocking it up really made me appreciate the moss/e. tennellus even more. I was kind of dubious, but It really draws the eye to the focal point of the main stone, while removing the microsword opens up up the entire right hand side into a sort of meadow. It's a really fantastic use of negative space, which is defintely under utilized in a lot of scapes (... like mine.)

That's what I get for doubting Frank, jeez.
Really nice drawings/renderings!
I see what you mean, the rock seems very small though in both those drawings.

edit: I don't know what kind of camera Frank is using but it seems to me it is just his Focal Length playing tricks on my eyes.
In some photos the rock looks too large but it was probably just shot with a longer Focal length, in other shots the rock seems a lot smaller.
I've found that to be a big challenge in photographing Iwagumi, you can really play to your tank's photogenic strengths by choosing the right focal length.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #246
mluk27
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Wow its truly incredible how fast riccia grows.. I had no idea lol
mluk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #247
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chlorophile View Post
Really nice drawings/renderings!
I see what you mean, the rock seems very small though in both those drawings.

edit: I don't know what kind of camera Frank is using but it seems to me it is just his Focal Length playing tricks on my eyes.
In some photos the rock looks too large but it was probably just shot with a longer Focal length, in other shots the rock seems a lot smaller.
I've found that to be a big challenge in photographing Iwagumi, you can really play to your tank's photogenic strengths by choosing the right focal length.
He's using a camera phone.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #248
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
He's using a camera phone.
iPhone 4S if I recall.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:13 AM   #249
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Yes iPhone 4S
Old 03-28-2012, 04:57 AM   #250
SeattleFishGuy
Planted Member

Frank - Could we have a pic of your equipment/setup under the tank. I read through your post but didn't see any and it help me understand what you are doing better.

I started my new tank about the same time you did and wish I could have started about a week later because I could have used some of your advice. That being said I'm hanging in there. My growth isn't as good as it could be but then again I don't have a pressurized CO2 system yet...I'm just using the Haggen Nutrafin Natural CO2 with mixed results.

BTW I love the look of your "First" setup at ADG...wow, that glass cabinet looked amazing! Talk about having nowhere to hide the mess!
SeattleFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 05:01 AM   #251
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Day 11:

I went ahead and used airline tubing to remove any left over dead matter from the microsword.

Took the water level way down today:

Allowing the scape to breath in open air for a few minutes (5 or so) every now and again will help prevent algae, since the exposure will help kill any residual algae spores, usually useful for non-serious algae types and purely for preventative measures.

You will notice I switched the diffuser sides.

If you read the flow Charts I posted earlier you will understand the reasoning behind this (if you haven't read it, refer back to page 13 or so, it's somewhere around there).

Basically by manipulating where I put the diffuser in relation to flow I can optimize which plants grow quicker.

You will see me manipulating this variable often and it is why I always recommend against reactors. I want you to start looking at these variables and adopting this habit in your aquarium. Just follow along and watch how I do it and you'll pick it up.

So homework for you tonight is if you've had your diffuser in one spot for a long time, move it to the other side and watch what happens.

And a cool shot to end out the day:

Dosing: Green Brighty Step 1 & Brighty K 1 squirt.
Green Bacter: 6 drops.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:55 AM   #252
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleFishGuy View Post
Frank - Could we have a pic of your equipment/setup under the tank. I read through your post but didn't see any and it help me understand what you are doing better.

I started my new tank about the same time you did and wish I could have started about a week later because I could have used some of your advice. That being said I'm hanging in there. My growth isn't as good as it could be but then again I don't have a pressurized CO2 system yet...I'm just using the Haggen Nutrafin Natural CO2 with mixed results.

BTW I love the look of your "First" setup at ADG...wow, that glass cabinet looked amazing! Talk about having nowhere to hide the mess!
Here's an equipment shot for you under the cabinet, not a whole lot to see. The filter goes to the wall socket and the light and co2 solenoid (el-valve) are hooked into a timer behind the cabinet.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #253
mahko
Planted Member

Frank, you've mentioned the 'chopstick method' when talking about lily pipes for aeration, would you mind explaining this for me? Perhaps I mis-read this while reading though the thread.

Also, just wanted to say that I've been following your journal and have adopted a lot of your practices as my own and seeing great improvements in my tanks. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #254
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mluk27 View Post
Wow its truly incredible how fast riccia grows.. I had no idea lol
This is Riccia's greatest strength and greatest weakness all at the same time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptjameso View Post
Love the rendering Dollface! Still following this journal and really enjoying it. I don't have any ADA products...yet but I'm very happy to be reading a journal like this. It has put me in a different mindset. I thoroughly enjoyed doing maintenance on my 20L today with about 60% water change and some trimming/ removing unwanted or excessive plants. It surely helped a lot. Thanks again Frank for creating this journal for everyone!
It's great to see you take away great habits from this journal and applying them. The more you can enjoy the maintenance and the trimming ( sculpting) part of the process, the more you successful you will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahko View Post
Frank, you've mentioned the 'chopstick method' when talking about lily pipes for aeration, would you mind explaining this for me? Perhaps I mis-read this while reading though the thread.

Also, just wanted to say that I've been following your journal and have adopted a lot of your practices as my own and seeing great improvements in my tanks. Thanks!
In the past I would lift the lily pipe up on a nano tank at night by using a chopstick placed / held at an angle to hold the lily pipe up. However, of late, I haven't done this since it hasn't been entirely necessary.

You'll have to share some of the improvements you've seen by adapting the methodologies! It's great to see.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:41 PM   #255
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

More Day 11:

Moving the diffuser (and likely, this combined with the fact that I rose the water level up a tad higher) resulted in some heavy pearling yesterday.

Full shot across, since it might be more difficult to see the full details, below are close ups of right and left side.

A beautiful Riccia bed!

The coloration of that Tennellus is going to tie this whole layout together rather dynamically.

It might just be my imagination, but the colors seemed to pop even more vividly yesterday. For me, this layout consistently surprises me as it gets brighter and brighter in color as the plants have made their transitions and are absorbing more nutrients.

Tags
francis wazeter, francis xavier, frank wazeter, nature aquarium, planted tank how to