Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout - Page 14
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #196
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freph View Post
Makes sense. Sounds like a better choice. There is significant lack of Frank today...wonder where he is and if he caught my email. I'd love his opinion on plant choice.
Hey Freph,

I did get to your email yesterday! Check your inbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
imo, e. belem is a superior carpet in almost every tank. the point of a carpet is to be nice and low. plus e. belems leaves curve out after a bit helping to cover up more substrate per leaf then e. acicularis which has relatively straight, vertical leaves.
but they are very similar, and are both true grasses, so you can trim the leaves themselves without killing the leaves.
In the end belem vs. acicularis comes to personal preference. For me, one isn't superior to the other: it's all about application and look relative to the aquascape. E. Acicularis tends to be cleaner, Belem can be interpreted as "wilder," if used as a foreground.

Quote:
Elocharis acicularis looks like a lovely plant but how does its size scale in relation to the size of a Mini M tank? Is it more suited as a background plant when compared to naturally shorter/smaller species like Elocharis belem?
E. Acicularis is a great mid-background in a Mini M. It can also be a great foreground, as it responds well to regular trimming and can be trained to stay shorter. The total height is usually no more than 5-6 inches.
Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 01:15 AM   #197
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
Hey Freph,

I did get to your email yesterday! Check your inbox.

In the end belem vs. acicularis comes to personal preference. For me, one isn't superior to the other: it's all about application and look relative to the aquascape. E. Acicularis tends to be cleaner, Belem can be interpreted as "wilder," if used as a foreground.

E. Acicularis is a great mid-background in a Mini M. It can also be a great foreground, as it responds well to regular trimming and can be trained to stay shorter. The total height is usually no more than 5-6 inches.
Already responded to the first one. You have a nice chunky message awaiting you. Define "wilder", though. Chlorophile mentioned the the leaves of belem curl outward as opposed to growing vertical. Does this mean that the belem grows more intertwined as opposed to the side-by-side density and uniformity that I see with acicularis?
Old 03-24-2012, 01:19 AM   #198
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Already responded to the first one. You have a nice chunky message awaiting you. Define "wilder", though. Chlorophile mentioned the the leaves of belem curl outward as opposed to growing vertical. Does this mean that the belem grows more intertwined as opposed to the side-by-side density and uniformity that I see with acicularis?
You got it. The messy-factor of Belem has gorgeous application when used in patches breaking up the monotony of HC. Tremendously well.

As a full carpet it can work really well as well - dependent on the stone it's used with. However as a single species carpet, E. Acicularis has more flexibility as it is able to be manipulated by slope and growing patterns.

Since it maxes out at about 5-6 inches, with high slope in the back, low in the front you can stage your trimming in gradients. Trim the front most often, middle half as much, and the back 1/4 as much.

In aquascaping it's not the most unique looking plant that's the most useful.

It's the plant that can be manipulated in the most flexible ways.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:25 AM   #199
freph
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
You got it. The messy-factor of Belem has gorgeous application when used in patches breaking up the monotony of HC. Tremendously well.

As a full carpet it can work really well as well - dependent on the stone it's used with. However as a single species carpet, E. Acicularis has more flexibility as it is able to be manipulated by slope and growing patterns.

Since it maxes out at about 5-6 inches, with high slope in the back, low in the front you can stage your trimming in gradients. Trim the front most often, middle half as much, and the back 1/4 as much.

In aquascaping it's not the most unique looking plant that's the most useful.

It's the plant that can be manipulated in the most flexible ways.
Very interesting. I've still got a few belem plants laying around that I could use for that very purpose. Do you happen to have any examples of such a practice? Sounds like I'm going with acicularis for the next tank though if it's that simple.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #200
Calebh21
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Is it normal that half the stuff in the adgshop's substrate system section is out of stock? A little ridiculous if it is.
Calebh21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:29 AM   #201
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calebh21 View Post
Is it normal that half the stuff in the adgshop's substrate system section is out of stock? A little ridiculous if it is.
All the additives are in stock, we had a few web page hiccups this week. Bigger items like soil are resupplies April first week or so. Import time tables and what not.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:51 AM   #202
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calebh21 View Post
After the earthquake in Japan everyone has been low on most all of ADA products.

Rumor is that things are going to be amped up in production soon.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #203
pejerrey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Is it possible to do a non co2, no ferts kind of carpet.

A heavily planted shrimp tank is possible!
pejerrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:43 PM   #204
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

Your only real option at that point is a moss carpet tbh.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #205
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pejerrey View Post
Is it possible to do a non co2, no ferts kind of carpet.
I would never recommend a non Co2 setup. They're prepping you for heart ache.

The ONLY circumstance I'd do it in is with riccia some easy small stems (rotala green), in a container that is less than one gallon with daily water change.

Pressurized gets you the best results most consistently. At the very least you need a DIY setup, and I'd run at least two on a mini.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #206
Lludu
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I can't get miss to actually carpet haha
Lludu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #207
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

So I busted out ye ole test kit today just to see where things are:

Ammonia 4.0ppm (could be 8.0ppm, honestly the color gradient is a pain to distinguish on the API kits.

Nitrite: .25 ppm

Nitrate: 0

pH: 6.4

kH: 1

gH: 1

Now that water changes are scaled back somewhat, I'll start adding Penac W into the water column to balance variables somewhat in terms of hardness.

Today there was no water change: I drained the water at night to the outflow level then topped off to full before lights on.

Dosed brighty k and green brighty special lights.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:45 PM   #208
mahko
Planted Member

I don't have Green bacter easily available to me, and I'm aware that adding 'mulm' or some filter media from an established tank would kick-start the bacteria growth. My question would be, is there another alternative? Such as Tetra Safe Start or is the mulm an easier option?
Old 03-24-2012, 10:53 PM   #209
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

I cannot recommend the effectiveness of other products such as tetra safe start, as I've never used them personally.

However, you can very much so seed your filter media with bio media used in another aquarium to help jump start the bacterial growth.

Green Bacter is a food source for the various bacteria in the substrate, bio media, etc and helps spurn their growth. Think of it as supplying nutrients to plants: Green Bacter is giving nutrients to bacteria so they grow. The same laws of minimums apply (e.g. a plant can only grow to the capacity which the lowest nutrient is supplied)
Old 03-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #210
mahko
Planted Member

There's a lot of biased opinions on the 'cycle' products, and I was curious on your take. Thanks. So you let the bacteria establish on its own and just supply it with Green Bacter as food? Makes sense to me.

Tags
francis wazeter, francis xavier, frank wazeter, nature aquarium, planted tank how to