Do I have too many plants and other help with new tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 08-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #1
swimmingwiththefish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do I have too many plants and other help with new tank

So, this is my first real planted tank. I say real because I had a Fluval spec that I threw some plants into. This time, Im trying to get it right. I trying to have a low tech (Excel, but not co2) tank. I need some feedback on how to make it better.

Tanks stats:
11.4 gallon frameless tank
20 inch Finnex Fugeray lights- approx 12.5 inches from top of substrate
EcoComplete substrate
Finnex P360 filter

Plants:
Amazon sword
anubian nana
Ludwigia repens
corkscrew vallisneria (not sure this is what I received. I think they are American)
Rotala rotundfiolia
dwarf hair grass
criptocoryne undulata
and some miscellaneous stuff from my other tank

I ordered plans from an online vendor and I underestimated the size of the tank and ordered too much stuff. Im worried that there are too many plants in the tank.

Here are my questions:

1) The Amazon sword. I ordered one and had a couple from the old tank. I did not realize the one I just ordered would be so big. The leaves are sticking out the top of the tank. Is it too big for my tank? Should I take it out?

2) I having a hard time getting the plants to stay in the substrate. Any tips for this?

3) When should I start dosing excel and flourish?

4) How long should I keep the lights on? Should I raise them higher?

5) Is surface agitation needed? When I look at planted tanks, it seems like many of them don't use the filter output to create surface agitation. Is surface agitation not important in tanks that use co2? Do I need to worry about surface agitation? I have a betta in the tank and want him to be happy.

6) Are there too many plants in the tank? Am I starting with so many that there wont be room for the plants to expand? I wanted to start with a lot of plants because my hope is that this will help keep the algae at bay, but I may had put too many.

Please provide any input that can help me be successful! Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1048.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	355089  

Name:	DSCN1049.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	355097  

Name:	DSCN1050.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	355105  

Name:	DSCN1051.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	355113  

Name:	DSCN1052.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	355121  

Name:	DSCN1053.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	355129  

swimmingwiththefish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2014, 06:46 PM   #2
FatherLandDescendant
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmingwiththefish View Post
So, this is my first real planted tank. I say real because I had a Fluval spec that I threw some plants into. This time, Im trying to get it right. I trying to have a low tech (Excel, but not co2) tank. I need some feedback on how to make it better.

Tanks stats:
11.4 gallon frameless tank
20 inch Finnex Fugeray lights- approx 12.5 inches from top of substrate
EcoComplete substrate
Finnex P360 filter

Plants:
Amazon sword
anubian nana
Ludwigia repens
corkscrew vallisneria (not sure this is what I received. I think they are American)
Rotala rotundfiolia
dwarf hair grass
criptocoryne undulata
and some miscellaneous stuff from my other tank

I ordered plans from an online vendor and I underestimated the size of the tank and ordered too much stuff. Im worried that there are too many plants in the tank.

Here are my questions:

1) The Amazon sword. I ordered one and had a couple from the old tank. I did not realize the one I just ordered would be so big. The leaves are sticking out the top of the tank. Is it too big for my tank? Should I take it out?

Both times I've brought a new sword home for my tank the mature leaves fall off to be replaced with new growth. Leave it see what happens I say.

2) I having a hard time getting the plants to stay in the substrate. Any tips for this?

Burry rooted plants down past the crown, cover, pull gently upwards until the crown can be seen sticking out of the substrate.

3) When should I start dosing excel and flourish?

Now

4) How long should I keep the lights on? Should I raise them higher?

Still have light questions myself so I don't know how to answer this one. Myself my light is on 11 hours a day at this point.

5) Is surface agitation needed? When I look at planted tanks, it seems like many of them don't use the filter output to create surface agitation. Is surface agitation not important in tanks that use co2? Do I need to worry about surface agitation? I have a betta in the tank and want him to be happy.

Your not using C02 though, surface agitation promotes gas exchange (CO2 & 02) in the water. From what I can gather in C02 gas enriched tanks it keeps the surface of the water from developing a bio-film, but CO2 is gassed off as a result meaning they have to use more gas than they would if they had no surface agitation.

6) Are there too many plants in the tank? Am I starting with so many that there wont be room for the plants to expand? I wanted to start with a lot of plants because my hope is that this will help keep the algae at bay, but I may had put too many.

Doesn't look like to many to me, just make sure to read about fertilizers and their usage how and why here on the forum. So long as the plants can out compete the algae you'll be fine, but if they are starving for nutrients algae will come in and take over reguardless of how many plants you have.

Please provide any input that can help me be successful! Thanks.
Typed in red above.
FatherLandDescendant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 04:11 AM   #3
swimmingwiththefish
Algae Grower

Thank you for your help!
swimmingwiththefish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.