De rimmed 5.5g with finnex fugeray. Need advice.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 09-01-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Jerd

PTrader: (0/0%)

De rimmed 5.5g with finnex fugeray. Need advice.

This is my first ever planted tank. I have done lots of reading and research but im stuck on substrate and plants. I should have about 30 PAR at the substrate with this light. so low/medium light. I was hoping this would keep the plant growth more under control to avoid the hassle of trimming constantly.

Does what substrate you choose have anything to do with how much if any ferts you dose into the water? I hear about some people dosing liquid ferts and others that dont dose anything. Is this determined by the substrate or the plants? Or is it lighting?

Im stuck between running dirt with a black sand cap or eco complete, if i use eco complete do i need to add root tabs or dose the water with ferts?

With only 30 par at the substrate Im not expecting co2 to be a necessary system, however i would gladly take on the challenge and would love any excuse to eventually set up a pressurized co2 system. Is it bad to dose co2 in a low/medium light tank? Is it something you would recommend for what im trying to accomplish?

Also because of my job i have access to as much RO water as i want. They do meter in an antiscalant to keep the RO membrane free of buildup. Is this safe for fish tank use? If i use ro water what kind of additives are required or do you just add it right to the tank?

Thank you for your time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130901_095337_767.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	201553  

Last edited by Jerd; 09-02-2013 at 01:53 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Jerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
Allentan97
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)

I think you may have the PAR value wrong with this light... its gotta be like 60-70 ish.. and co2 will be a must for this system. you should buy a 3l bag of ada amazonia and dose dry ferts. either PPS-Pros or EI method. eco complete is ok but aquasoil is a much better choice.
Allentan97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allentan97 View Post
I think you may have the PAR value wrong with this light... its gotta be like 60-70 ish.. and co2 will be a must for this system. you should buy a 3l bag of ada amazonia and dose dry ferts. either PPS-Pros or EI method. eco complete is ok but aquasoil is a much better choice.

Actually your PAR data is wrong, not to mention that a co2 system is not "a must".

PAR data for a 10" Finnex FugeRay based on a 5.5 gallon tank is between 16 and 25 at substrate because of the estimative distance being around 6"-9" away from the substrate.

Now with that said lets discuss co2, you can get away with using Flourish Excel liquid carbon supplement. Yes an actual co2 injection system would be a better choice, but it's not a must. Choice of substrate is up to a person preference, I personally like Flourite planted substrate, am I going to say "it's must" to someone else; No, because it's my personal preference of substrate. You can use dirt, eco complete, flourite, ADA aquasoil, etc... Whatever you feel comfortable with using.

I recommend a substrate with a high CEC (cation exchange capacity) meaning it's ability to gather, and retain nutrients for later release back to the plants. Dosing fertilizers whether via liquid or dry form is best for a healthy planted aquarium, I myself prefer using dry fertilizers because they are cheaper than liquid ferts, and I can decided how much of each fertilizer to dose in my tanks. Not to mention liquid fertilizers are more expensive, and are known for being mostly water.

Lightings effect on plants is relative to photosynthesis, if your tank doesn't have enough lighting you can experience poor growth with your plants. However the over all growth of plants isn't only based on lighting, everything has an effect on your plants growth and healthiness from lighting, co2, fertilizers, substrate, etc... They all play a role in having a healthy planted aquarium.

Last edited by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx; 09-01-2013 at 10:40 PM.. Reason: a
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
aparker
Planted Member

If you read that chart correctly youll see that youre looking at >18 par at the substrate because 5.5s are <12 inches tall
aparker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
KFryman
Planted Member

I think he has a 16" Fugeray. I have a 5.5 gallon tank and it is definitely not 10" long. His PAR will probably be around 25 or so.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparker View Post
If you read that chart correctly youll see that youre looking at >18 par at the substrate because 5.5s are <12 inches tall
Actually 5.5 gallon tanks are 16 3/16″ x 8 3/8″ x 10 1/2″
Old 09-01-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFryman View Post
I think he has a 16" Fugeray. I have a 5.5 gallon tank and it is definitely not 10" long. His PAR will probably be around 40. So CO2 would probably be a good idea since you'll have medium light. You could always suspend the fixture too until you get CO2
Thought I posted info for the 16" lol my bad...

Now here's the right one, and he's still between 25-30 for PAR data.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
aparker
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
Actually 5.5 gallon tanks are 16 3/16″ x 8 3/8″ x 10 1/2″
with 10.5 inches being the height measurement
aparker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #9
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

When it comes to lighting, and tank height I never add the lighting legs to the overall height, I don't know how others do, but if the legs for the lighting are 2" or under I don't include them in the height.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #10
Jerd

From the bottom of the tank to the bottom of the lights im at 10 5/8" subtract 2" for substrate and i guess im more like 8 5/8". So i guess im more around the 50par range? Sweet so i need co2?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130901_184646_054.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	201753  

Old 09-02-2013, 01:58 AM   #11
PeterN1986
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Eco is inert but has high CEC so it's perfect to cap MGOPS with. Check out my Mini-M in my sig to see how I got things started. I also have a 16" Fugeray on mine.
PeterN1986 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #12
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN1986 View Post
Eco is inert but has high CEC so it's perfect to cap MGOPS with. Check out my Mini-M in my sig to see how I got things started. I also have a 16" Fugeray on mine.
Man I just finished looking at your mini-m in your signature, all I can say is wow!!!

I was thinking of purchasing the Finnex FugeRay for my Aqueon Evolve 4 nano tank, but have been hesitant because I couldn't find pictures to see how well the light works. But now I'm 100% positive I'm going with one because of your mini-m.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:11 AM   #13
Couesfanatic
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerd View Post
From the bottom of the tank to the bottom of the lights im at 10 5/8" subtract 2" for substrate and i guess im more like 8 5/8". So i guess im more around the 50par range? Sweet so i need co2?
I would raise the light if I were you. I'm at 25 par with my fugeray. I'm dosing excel daily. I have slower but healthy growth. Just giving you another reference point.

I'd be curious to see how you do with the light that high. I've considered bumping mine up.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:20 AM   #14
Pg6922
Algae Grower

I just did the same thing this weekend! Derimmed a 5.5g used black diamond blasting media for topping over Miracle gro organic potting soil. Painted the background black. Flora from my other tank, Petco and the Caloosahatchee River.

I look forward o see how yours turns out.

Pg6922 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2013, 05:04 AM   #15
Jerd

I wanted to run a co2 setup anyways.

For the substrate, can i use this alone? http://www.adgshop.com/product_p/104-051.htm

It says, " Using too much Powder-type (more than about 1 inch) can cause problems later on such as excessive "dust" when uprooting plants and/or restricted water circulation through the substrate."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.