Ozy's 55 high tech planted angel community
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #1
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ozy's 55 high tech planted angel community

Decided it was time to start a journal on my main tank.

Specs:
Size: 55 gal
Substrate: inert gravel
Filtration: Fluval G6 (merry christmas!)
Heater: Hydor ETH 300 watt
Lighting: 2x32 T8 shop fixture (soon to be upgraded)
Tech: 5 gal regulated Co2 timed with lights, seachem root tabs, and dosing excel

Flora:
Echinodorus bleheri (Amazon Sword)
Cryptocoryne wendtii bronze (bronze crypt wendtii)
Crinum calamistratum (crinum)
Anubias barteri var. Nana (Anubias)
Microsorum pteropus (Java fern)
Cryptocoryne crispatula (Crypt Balansae)
Vallisneria Spiralis 'Leopard' (Italian Leopard Val)
Vesicularia Duyana (Java Moss)

Fauna:
6x Blue Tetra
10x Cardinal tetra
3x Albino Corydoras
4x Red Onion Snails
6x Zebra Nerites
2x Clown Plecostomas
2x Powder Blue Gourami
2x Silver Altum Angel (Males)
1x Gold Marble Angel (Female)

Latest FTS

Last edited by Ozydego; 03-02-2012 at 01:30 PM..
Ozydego is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

Question, is there another inline heater I should be looking at besides the Hydor? Is there a need to look elsewhere?
Old 12-29-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Johny_Dough
Planted Member

Pretty sure it the only one available
Old 01-11-2012, 01:11 AM   #4
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

So the hydro ETH 300 is installed and working perfectly, the g6 had its first mechanical cleaning and the tank is looking better and better without all the junk on the walls. Soon, after a MAJOR trim, especially the java moss branch, it will be time for another photoshoot.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #5
biogenetic40379
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

nice tank. hope my 55g will do as good as yours
Old 02-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #6
D3monic
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Very nice! In your opinion was the G6 worth the price tag?
Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

Ebi-topia 75g Rivers Edge Dario H. Breeding Log
D3monic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:17 AM   #7
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

So far I am very happy with the g6, if I was only thinking about this tank, the g3 would have been plenty, but I have plans for bigger in the future. I REALLY like the measurements it keeps and graphs, I can see when I should do a PWC by the total dissolved solids, when it creeps up, I do a pwc, then there is a sharp drop and you start to see the gradual increase again... I can dial my temp down to .1 now instead of within a few degrees, and I can tell my Hydor is doing a good job based on the graph and no fluctuations... Also, it tells me when my flow is decreased so I know it's time to clean the mechanical filter.... It makes my jobs very easy to keep track of... Yes I really think its worth the price... Only weird thing is the constant buildup of bubbles inside the filter, maybe due to cavitation or possibly a slight air suck, but every ten minutes or so I have a bubble spurt from the output which is a little annoying... Still looking into that one... That's my only complaint so far...
Old 02-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quick update, working on a tweaked scape, moving plants around, trying to find a good stem plant for the right side... Moved the filter/heater clutter out of the way in the background and added a glass diffuser. Eventually I plan to change to lily pipes to make it look even better

FTS
Old 03-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

Got a chance to use a macro lens last night so it is time for an update. working on different diffuser methods, right now the diffuser gets blown by the powerhead to distribute Co2 and promote circulation, but it sticks out like a sore thumb. My Blue tetra are slowly dwindling, they like to jump, but I get much better growth with the lids off, my was is so in in TDS that the glass turns white in a matter of days. I decided to repopulate with cardinal tetras and hopefully they will stay put. I was worried about them as when I got them they were incredibly small and I was worried the medium to large angels would find them tasty, all ten are still present and accounted for though and now they are getting larger quickly. Rescaped a lot, broke the peice of Driftwood at the left into two pieces and was able to get a much better arrangement that way, built up a little ledge on the middle right as well, it is still a work in process, I think the left is finally good though. Pics!

FTS

3/4 shot

Telananthera forest just starting out

Angels

Blue Gourami

Cardinal

Albino Cory's
Old 03-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
bighollywood
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)

Very nice!
bighollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

So small catastrophe 2 weeks ago. I just got a new dual regulator for my Co2 cylinder and ran it for a day. nice light green drop checker. When switching out the regulators, I noticed the cylinder was low and took and got it filled.

I hooked it back up and left for the afternoon. When the Co2 came on, apparently either the needle valve moved, or the cylinder was lower than I thought and the pressure went up because I came back around 10pm to all 23 fish floating at the top or upside down at the bottom. OH CRAP!, gassed them!!, pulled the the outflow up out of the water and did a massive WC as quick as I could. I left the smaller fish to fend for themselves and revive, but I held my three angels in my hands below the oxygenated outflow current to help revive them for 30 minutes.

My Koi female came out of it, but the two males did not survive. I lost one blue tetra as well, but 12 cardinals, 3 blue tetra, 1 powder blue gourami, 2 plecos, and three corys came out of it alive. Also, my two experimental RCS suprisingly also are still running around.

since then I have purchased a new bubble counter that sits on the regulator and moved the drop checker to the middle of the flow from the diffuser instead of at the end, so I can know sooner if I have an issue. Since then the Co2 has been very steady, but learned my lesson at the expense of my two beautiful Angels. Live and learn!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here is an update on the tank, I have a lot of "experiments" going so it never looks all together, but I am constantly working on different plants and knowing how they react to trims and ferts for future scaped projects

Old 07-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

nothing to add to the thread in any meaningful way but posting none the less.
Very nice, lush growth and good pictures.

sorry to read the gas got your fish.
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
chew
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (13/100%)

Your gouramis dont fight with each other? Tank looks good though I like the overgrown look
chew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
Ozydego
Planted Tank Obsessed

They are very docile, I believe its due to the fact that if they want to, they can get away very easily. The SAE's on the other hand hunt each other out... no issues though, just chasing and then they go back to eating next to each other... unless I am mistaking some sort of courting... they circle around each other very fast and dart after the other... then they get over it.