65G Hyla versicolor Northern Woodland
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-10-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (143/100%)

Can I post a terrarium journal thread here so my friends will see it? I hope that's OK.

This is a tank that I have had set up for a while, but I want to take some time to get some better pictures. It's actually set up at the local children's museum where I volunteer and I'm going to go over there tomorrow to work on it some. I have some interesting observations on the plants. I'll try to post again tomorrow night.

hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 03:22 AM   #2
demonbreedr16
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Oh wow! That's very awesome looking!

Do any animals live in there?
demonbreedr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 03:26 AM   #3
Cardinal Tetra
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)

Wow very nice! I wish native tree frogs were more commonly available other than Hyla cinereum... I remember searching for months before I could find gray and barking tree frogs.

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.
Cardinal Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 04:42 AM   #4
150EH
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)

You can post anything you like, some have even posted what they want Mom & Dad to get them for Christmas, so your terrarium is far from out of bounds, very far.

That looks really nice and I've seen your ad for the set up but I know I have seen this before, so is it in a new inclosure or why do I think I've seen it before?

I think I see a deer antler in there and what is the glass bit? Also the plants look very North America native but being in the landscape business I know there are hundreds of different ferns available.
150EH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonbreedr16 View Post
Oh wow! That's very awesome looking!

Do any animals live in there?
Thanks! Just the single H. versicolor is in there. It's a lot of space for one frog. I considered add a second one but I didn't want those plants to get so trampled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
Wow very nice! I wish native tree frogs were more commonly available other than Hyla cinereum... I remember searching for months before I could find gray and barking tree frogs.
Actually I think that somebody caught that individual and brought it to the museum. Sometimes in the summer they are common around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
You can post anything you like, some have even posted what they want Mom & Dad to get them for Christmas, so your terrarium is far from out of bounds, very far.

That looks really nice and I've seen your ad for the set up but I know I have seen this before, so is it in a new inclosure or why do I think I've seen it before?

I think I see a deer antler in there and what is the glass bit? Also the plants look very North America native but being in the landscape business I know there are hundreds of different ferns available.
Thanks! Which aspect of this have seen before? Did you mean the false bottom?

The green glass thing is an antique electric line insulator. I set it up on an old mossy post to make it look like something you would find out in the woods.

Yep I am observing that most of the native ferns are trying to go into wonter dormancy. I am going to replant with these houseplant species and I hope they will stay green for me. I found this great list of WI-native ferns...

http://www.uwgb.edu/biodiversity/her...ern_list01.htm

A lot of the houseplant ferns resemble the wild native ones quite a bit.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Well I got this replanted and now I'm processing pictures.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:47 AM   #7
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Here is one shot real quick...

Old 12-12-2011, 01:44 AM   #8
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Well I just replanted this thing and I have some interesting observations to relate on the native plants that I had going in there. Some were trying to slow down for a winter dormancy, while others still look nice and green and are actively growing.

The plant below is a nice little fern that I found in the woods at my brother's place. It has been growing ever since I replanted it and still looks great now in mid-December the winter after I got it. I need to figure out what it is and I also want to divide it and replant again.

The wild ginger (Asarum canadense) has been looking pretty sad for a couple of months. If you look close you can see the single new bud that will start its next year's growth. I removed this plant and put it outside.

This Carex sp. sedge isn't the most attractive plant, but it's still growing with new leaves and new roots. This thing stays more or less evergreen through the winter. I want to try out more native Carex this way and try to find some better-looking ones.

The walking fern (Asplenium rhizophyllum) still looks very good, but I haven't seen much new growth from it for a couple of months. This really isn't the best kind of habitat representation for this cool native plant. If I were to use a lot of it I think I would get some nice rocks from vivariumworks.com.

The native maidenhair fern (Adiantum pedatum) still looks pretty good, but as it grows new leaves they just keep getting smaller and smaller. It might need a winter dormancy. I'm not sure.

Here's the whole deal after I replanted it. I'm not crazy about the new plants that I got and I might try again.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Here's just a couple more quick pictures.

Those new plants that I got don't stick up high enough in the layout, but they look nice viewed from above...

Here's a similar view, but with the leaf litter rolled back to show the false bottom assembly...

Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 PM   #10
aXio
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

I think the new arrangement looks pretty nice actually.
aXio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks! I think I'll like it better if I can get some more vertical plants into it. The shadowbox background will also help. I don't like that plain black.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

This thing is pretty freakin cool. I like it. Have you looked into any local liverworts? I know you guys got Asterella and such. They might be a cool addition and do well in this setting.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #13
karatekid14
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

What is that blue plastic thing? Is it to place the food for the frog?
Old 12-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #14
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Its an old wire insulator for old powerlines.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #15
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
This thing is pretty freakin cool. I like it. Have you looked into any local liverworts? I know you guys got Asterella and such. They might be a cool addition and do well in this setting.
Thanks! This setup is too dry for liverworts and they would be better planted on a vertical rock surface. I have actually thought it could be cool to do a setup like that with water below with fish and with walking fern planted on the fabricated rockwork too. We have a few other ferns that might work for that also.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.