Miami-Lauderdale LFS List
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Florida

Old 02-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
xenxes
Gotta Catch 'Em All

PTrader: (37/100%)

Miami-Lauderdale LFS List

Thought I'd do us a favor and compile a listing of local fish stores, feel free to help me add notes/comment/stores:

South / Miami Area:

Aquarium Mart Corporation: Near UM campus, mostly marine, very small selection of fresh water.
Hours:
Phone: (305) 661-6905 ‎
Link: miamiaquariums.com‎ (broken)

Exotic Aquariums:: Not visited.
Hours:
Monday - Saturday 11am - 8pm
Sunday 12pm - 6pm
Phone: (305) 266-0978
Link: http://www.exoticaquariums.com

Something's Fishy: Very store small front, but carries marine and fresh. Good selection of drift wood pieces ($8). Good fish prices, i.e. $1.6 Neon Tetras, $1.5 Otocinclus.
Hours:
Mon - Sat: 11:00 am - 8:00 pm
Sun: 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Phone: 1 305.982.8032
Link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Someth...22370867796035

Neighborhood Fish Farm: Huge. Probably the best selection of tropical freshwater fish (no marine). Decent selection of plants. Decent prices on most things (not the cherry shrimp).
Location: 12150 SW 45 Street, Miami, FL 33175; also have a Homestead loc.
Hours:
Wednesday - Sunday 11am to 5pm
Monday and Tuesday by Appointment
Phone: 305-221- 8013
Link: http://www.tropicalfishmiami.com/

Reeftop Aquariums & Pet Boutique: Mostly carries really nice Marine stuff, but has some freshwater stuff. A nice selection of Aquariums and equipment.[censored]
13250 SW 87 Avenue,
Miami, Florida 33176
1-305-234-0868[censored]
Hours:
Mon - Fri: 12 PM - 8 PM
Saturday: 12 PM - 6 PM
Sunday: 1 PM - 6 PM
Link:http://www.reeftopaquariums.com/

North / Lauderdale Area:

Allfish Emporium: not visisted.
Hours:
Monday thru Saturday 9-9
Sunday 9-7
Phone: (954) 633-2412
Link: http://www.allfishemporium.com

Beverly's Pet Store: Fun place to visit and carries all kinds of pets. Overpriced equipment (but what LFS can beat Amazon?). Decent selection of fish (fresh and marine). Did not like how they kept bettas in plastic dixie cups.
Hours:
Monday thru Saturday - 10 A.M. to 9 P.M.
Sunday - 10 A.M. to 6 P.M.
Phone: (954) 322-1112
Link: http://beverlyspet.com/

The Planted Aquarium Store: Have not had a chance to visit yet,
Phone: 954.990.8871
Hours:
Monday - Wednesday: 12pm to 7Pm
Thursday; Closed
Friday 12pm to 7 Pm
Saturday - Sunday 11:30 to 6Pm
Link: http://stores.theplantedaquariumstor...StoreFront.bok

Last edited by xenxes; 03-31-2012 at 03:38 AM..
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #2
steak
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to steak

sweet! i want to check out that planted aquarium store! thank you!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:29 PM   #3
Solid
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/100%)

Very nice list. I think these are the best Freshwater places down here.

Lol, I've been to all of them except Somethings Fishy.

Aquarium Mart Corporation: Small Place. Mostly Marine with some Freshwater stuff. Very friendly staff. Closest to me so I buy my frozen food and supplies there.

Exotic Aquariums: Very nice selection of Freshwater and Marine Fish. Some shrimp and plants too. I've had bad luck with the health of fish I bought here and had problems with the staff/management.

Neighborhood Fish Farm: Great Freshwater fish selection, in outdoor basins. Nice plant selection, especially right after they restock. Will special order plants for you from Florida Aquatic Nurseries. Must visit if you keep freshwater fish IMO.

Allfish Emporium: HUGE! The Costco of aquarium stores. Has almost everything. Crazy fish room with good selection of plants.

Beverly's Pet Store: Small but very nice place. Friendly staff.

The Planted Aquarium Store: Went there last weekend. Small place but has great selection of plant stuff you cant find elsewhere. CO2 equipment, Substrates, fertilizers, etc. Nice selection of freshwater fish, shrimps and plants. Wish I lived closer...

Another one to mention a bit farther south:
Reeftop Aquariums & Pet Boutique Mostly carries really nice Marine stuff, but has some freshwater stuff. A nice selection of Aquariums and equipment.
13250 SW 87 Avenue,
Miami, Florida 33176
1-305-234-0868
Hours:
Mon - Fri: 12 PM - 8 PM
Saturday: 12 PM - 6 PM
Sunday: 1 PM - 6 PM
Link:http://www.reeftopaquariums.com/
Old 04-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #4
xenxes
Gotta Catch 'Em All

PTrader: (37/100%)

Planted Aquarium Store is awesome!

Tons of nano fish, dwarf fish, plant species. Wish it wasn't so far north for me.
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2012, 01:59 AM   #5
Ryi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default Planted Aquarium Store Grand Opening this weekend!

I swung by his shop today as I'm about 3 hours away (with a tailwind) and can't get there Saturday for the ribbon cutting.

You should go...ALL of you! :-)

He's got the best inventory to support the freshwater planted tank enthusiast that I've ever seen. From amateurs like me (give me mine in a bottle with instructions) to the pros using powdered ferts, he's got us all covered. There was a break in customers and he spent plenty of time answering my questions, giving sound advice based on experience...he even dug out his PAR meter (available for rent) and walked me through the lighting on almost all his specimen tanks. Seeing the lush growth he accomplishes even in low-tech with VERY low par readings and no CO2 was amazing. The high-light/CO2 tank was just icing on the cake.

We talked about everything from basic substrate technique (he's got some great stuff, ask him about his new find!) to water parameters, temperatures, basic fertilization to E.I. He has a working knowledge of all the goodies for sale. It's so nice to ask about a product (add-on surface skimmer for example, or his great new substrate tabs) and talk to someone who has used it, understands it and can explain it hands-on.

Take a look at the fish and that will drive the point home. They are all healthy with colors that *pop*, every tank hosts live plants as well and every tank's water is independent (no shared filtration, no possibility of catastrophic failure)

Did I mention his light fixture prices were VERY competitive?

While you're there take a look at his discus *sigh* & his 20g Mr Aqua *double-sigh*.

I'll be finishing the stand on my big tank soon (thought it was a 125, measurements make it a 150) I'll be back for more advice and with a shopping list!

This is the place where you build a relationship and keep coming back.
Ryi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2012, 02:47 AM   #6
TrogdorSlayer22
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to TrogdorSlayer22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryi View Post
I swung by his shop today as I'm about 3 hours away (with a tailwind) and can't get there Saturday for the ribbon cutting.

You should go...ALL of you! :-)

He's got the best inventory to support the freshwater planted tank enthusiast that I've ever seen. From amateurs like me (give me mine in a bottle with instructions) to the pros using powdered ferts, he's got us all covered. There was a break in customers and he spent plenty of time answering my questions, giving sound advice based on experience...he even dug out his PAR meter (available for rent) and walked me through the lighting on almost all his specimen tanks. Seeing the lush growth he accomplishes even in low-tech with VERY low par readings and no CO2 was amazing. The high-light/CO2 tank was just icing on the cake.

We talked about everything from basic substrate technique (he's got some great stuff, ask him about his new find!) to water parameters, temperatures, basic fertilization to E.I. He has a working knowledge of all the goodies for sale. It's so nice to ask about a product (add-on surface skimmer for example, or his great new substrate tabs) and talk to someone who has used it, understands it and can explain it hands-on.

Take a look at the fish and that will drive the point home. They are all healthy with colors that *pop*, every tank hosts live plants as well and every tank's water is independent (no shared filtration, no possibility of catastrophic failure)

Did I mention his light fixture prices were VERY competitive?

While you're there take a look at his discus *sigh* & his 20g Mr Aqua *double-sigh*.

I'll be finishing the stand on my big tank soon (thought it was a 125, measurements make it a 150) I'll be back for more advice and with a shopping list!

This is the place where you build a relationship and keep coming back.
Are you talking about 'The Planted Aquarium Store' in Oakland Park, or a different store?

I have been to Beverly's, AllFish and AllPets Emporium, Fish World, The Planted Aquarium Store, Fish's Paradise, and The Neighborhood Fish Farm, and many chains.

Beverly's: Ok selection, but they try to sell diseased and weak fish (with ich and stuff)

AllFish: As another member said, it is the CostCo of Fish Stores. Really great place.

AllPets: Staff aren't as knowledgeable as Allfish and they have a smaller selection of fish. But pretty good dry goods (they stock NLS Thera A).

The Planted Aquarium Store: Great, beautiful place. Too bad I live about 25mi. away... They stock fish that are not normally seen in stores, such as CPD's, rarer dwarf shrimp, and apistos.

Fish World (in Plantation): I know an employee there, who is head of the whole fish section. He is very knowledgeable, especially about salt water stuff. But not too many fish.

Fish's Paradise: They don't look much on the outside, and can be cramped in the inside, but the staff are very knowledgeable too. They will sometimes stock rare fish, such as fancy plecos, and will special order fish for you.

The Neighborhood Fish Farm: Don't buy gift cards there, just don't. I did and there was a big messup. Plus many of their fish have ich or parasites. They have a great selection though, and have decent prices on fish. You should only get fish here if you plan on quarantining them really well.
TrogdorSlayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
charms
Planted Member

Planted Aquarium Store -
They are so helpful and very knowledgeable. I am lucky and live right around the corner. We went in the first weekend they unofficially opened and I was awed even then. Now that they've got all the tanks set up and fully stocked - I could just live there.. I wanna lay on the chaise lounger and just watch the fishes... Lol. And I must say I personally LOVE their betta selection. Went in today and they had a dumbo betta!! An amazing teal colored dumbo, they also had a mustard gas and a black crowntail. Like I've only ever seen on aquabid, lol. Beautiful. All the fish and plants I've ever got from them are super healthy and thrive!! They get my vote hands down every time!!

All Fish Emporium -
Seems to be turning into an All Pets Emporium. They now carry birds AND small mammals and have a few isles of toys and food stuffs for them. I feel like the quality of their freshwater fish has gone down in the past few months honestly. And now birds... Really?
And I don't feel like most of the staff even cares about fish.. You ask a question about food, they ask someone else, who has to find someone else.. Its easier to just Google it. I miss Big Al's!! Thankfully for me I'm right around the corner from the Planted Aquarium Store <3

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
charms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #8
Ryi
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

<--- idiot
12G long Mr Aqua

Yeah, I'm a newb
Old 05-13-2012, 10:13 PM   #9
ncharlie
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

The Planted Aquarium will be a great place.

I have been to pretty much all of the places you guys mentioned. I tend to like BigAls but is is a drive. I agree that the sales people sometimes dont know what I am talking about. But I dont expect them to have a masters in aquarium science.

If you have not gone to Planted Aquarium. GO!

Lots of plants and a variety of fish. Stone, driftwood, etc. Nice to see a placed dedicated to a planted aquarium rather than a fish store that sells some plants.

Hopefully, the will succeed.

I know I'll shop there.
ncharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
ncharlie
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryi View Post
<--- idiot
12G long Mr Aqua

Yeah, I'm a newb
Beautiful tank.

I soooo want one but don't have a place to put it.
ncharlie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 03:50 AM   #11
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Folks, I am in kendall, where do you guys get the Co2 tanks filled down here
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 04:37 AM   #12
JoeD323
Planted Member

Call Airgas or, if you're up for the drive, I get mine at Broward Nelson in Ft Lauderdale.

Joe
JoeD323 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #13
fplata
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

Thank you man
fplata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
steak
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to steak

Quote:
Originally Posted by charms View Post

All Fish Emporium -
I feel like the quality of their freshwater fish has gone down in the past few months honestly.
I've only been twice in the past 2 months, but I agree. They had like 50 varieties of goldfish, but freshwater fish were limited other than that
Old 08-08-2012, 06:19 AM   #15
jerrybforl
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to jerrybforl Send a message via Skype™ to jerrybforl

All Fish Emporium is a great place to get plants. The head of the plant section is Ed, and he is awesome! I've been going to him for years and always came away with more knowledge. I think they have an above average fish selection. They will also special order if you ask them.

The Planted Aquarium Store is very good. Henry and Miryam have done a great job with the store. They always have interesting fish, and they will get something if you ask them. They have a decent plant selection and again will special order for you if it's a big enough order. They also have great shrimp selection.

NHFF is a good place to get fish IMO. I've never really had any issues with their fish. I've been going there for years. I've bought angels, cories, tetras, otos, guppies, cichlids, and other various things. The staff helps a bit if you ask the right person.

Somethings Fishy I've gone to for years. They used to be in a bigger place but was forced to move to a smaller location. The owner's name is "K". They will work with you on price if you visit them enough. They always take care of me when I go there.

Fish Paradise is always a nice visit. I've bought from them several times. Plant selection not so good though. They have little odds and ends parts to repair fixtures.

Hope this helps some of you guys...

JJ
jerrybforl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.