how to clean equipment
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 03-09-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to wicca27

how to clean equipment

i think i got jinked cause for a year i have had no prob in my oebt tank and now the last week they have been dropping like flies. water test are all good. nothin has been aded to the tank. they dont look or act sick. and i have lost prob 15 in the last week of all ages. first i was thinkin maybe old age but when i found young ones dead i had to start rethinking it. im wondering if something got on eather the hose i use to fill and drain the tank or in one of the buckets or on the net used. what is the best way to go about cleaning these items
wicca27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Lifeblood
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicca27 View Post
i think i got jinked cause for a year i have had no prob in my oebt tank and now the last week they have been dropping like flies. water test are all good. nothin has been aded to the tank. they dont look or act sick. and i have lost prob 15 in the last week of all ages. first i was thinkin maybe old age but when i found young ones dead i had to start rethinking it. im wondering if something got on eather the hose i use to fill and drain the tank or in one of the buckets or on the net used. what is the best way to go about cleaning these items
How long are you aging your tap water before doing water changes? Are they showing any visible signs of being sick?
Old 03-09-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Hmoobthor
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

sometimes mulk or junk collect inside the tube and you drain and fill which cause spikes.

get a fluval inner tube cleaner...the very long brushy wire cleaner and clean it good
Hmoobthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

its a clear hose and i hang to dry its only about 2.5 feet long so thats not. i use dechlore and age atlease a day. they show no signs of beein ill all happy moving about the tank nice dark color (almost black most of them) and then an hour or 2 later i look in and one dead. ive been losing 1 to 3 a day. all started after a water change at the first of the week. i dont know if it could be a molt prob or not there are alot of shells in the tank since the water change but its about to make me cry im loseing them all
Old 03-09-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Lifeblood
Planted Tank Obsessed

The quanitity and frequency suggested that this is probably not your water change hose that is the issue here I think it would be more productive to list everything you have done to the tank in the past 2 weeks or so. Sometimes the things we do to fix the problems make it worse not better.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

water change started it. first one in almost 3 months. i pulled the filter out last night and cleaned it to make sure nothing was in it. no filter pad just sponge rinsed in tank water from diff tank that is health. and done small water changes just incase it was something in the tank but used distilled water and that didnt change any paramerter. and i have lost a second shrimp today this time a baby first one was a female and about the size to have eggs
Old 03-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Lifeblood
Planted Tank Obsessed

good luck.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
GeToChKn
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I hate this. Sometimes something just happens. Had it happen with my yellows. They weren't breeding, then finally after 2 months on strike, started breeding, had like 7 berried females, started hatching, then dead female, dead berried, dead berried, dead berried, dead male, dead female day after day. Babies probably died too that I couldn't see. Dosed my tank with paraguard and maracyn 2 for a few days and all deaths stopped, females berried again, yellow colors coming back in some that were going pale. No idea what causes it but I think the med's knocked it out. When one shrimp gets something, usually it's easy for others to catch it in in the closed systems we keep them in. In nature, they can leave the area, get fresh water from rainfalls, or in cases where there is no rain and they are in a small closed off pond, I would imagine their population would take a huge hit too.

Sump Pimp #2

My Tanks and my shrimps
GeToChKn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:45 PM   #9
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

well thats the think i have my new orange sukara in there too and they are fine its just the blue tigers now. ive heard of the paraguard but how much do you use and where can it be found. i have never had to use any meds in my tanks be it shrimp or fish
Old 03-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #10
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

well i am trying one more time with water change i hope this works if not dk will have another repeat costomer lol. and the buggers always come up front to die. i catch them right after they stop moving cause they are not being eaten yet and still have their color and not turned red/orange yet. all i know is im at whits end
Old 03-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #11
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

on i think a good not i now see several little babys in the tank prob a couple days old if they make it who knows
Old 03-09-2012, 06:59 PM   #12
Soothing Shrimp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (128/100%)

Are the orange sakaras new in the tank?
Old 03-09-2012, 07:23 PM   #13
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

they have been there a while 3 - 4 weeks i did lose a couple at first but i blame that on the diff water parameters they were used to ph 6. something and mine is 7 to 7.5 but no shrimp have shown bacteria problmes all are healthy both the orange and blue but the blue tiger just started dropping like flies.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #14
Lifeblood
Planted Tank Obsessed

Oh the 10 you sent me only 1 died and I think that was CO2 poisoning. The other nine are doing fine in 2 separate tanks, and those were shipped what 2 weeks ago is? I do treat new arrivals with a diluted tea tree extract as part of acclimation though. This could be viral as well.

(Silly suicidal shrimp
Old 03-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #15
wicca27
Planted Tank Guru

thats the thing that gets me none look or act sick just dropping like flies and all ages full adult shirmp and baby. im glad yours are doin well. i think i just jinksed myself selling them to you and a couple weeks befor that to another person and left myself with to few shrimp and now they are teaching me a lesson