identify this baby snail
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-14-2015, 03:26 PM   #1
delgado4604
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

identify this baby snail

So i woke up this morning to find this little guy crawling on my anubias. Idk what kind of snail it is hoping its a nerite its got a little gold spotted pattern. Also theres these brown specs on my anubias that look like poop all over the leaves idk if that has any corilation. Any snail experts out there?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150114_111538_1421252575423.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	415674  

Name:	1421252612638-709472704_1421252642445.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	415682  

delgado4604 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #2
delgado4604
Algae Grower

Heres a better pic if the spots on my anubias
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	14212530010952102712287_1421253035878.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	415690  

Old 01-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #3
Mirkinator
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

That looks like a pond snail, esp with those spots. I raise them for my puffers and loaches. If you dont have any snail eaters tho they can kinda get out of hand. Nerites are much bigger and dont spawn in fresh water, so I really doubt its a juvenile nertite. If they ever get out of hand (and you have room for another fish), skunk loaches are the most voracious predators of them ive seen. My pod of 3 can take out 50+ snails in a night (they are nocturnal). Pea puffers are great at removing them too but tend to only eat live foods. so if you dont have a gammarus/snail tank(easy as hell) for live foods, you might have a hard time keeping them alive.
Mirkinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2015, 07:18 PM   #4
mattinmd
Wannabe Guru

+1 The snail appears to be a bladder/pond snail. Common and relatively harmless, will chew through dying plant leaves.

The spots on your upper-right anubias leaf look like a green spot algae. The lower leaf it is harder to tell what those brown bits are, too blurry.. baby snails? baby black brush algae?

Also, your crypts and anubias seem to be showing a bit of chlorosis... Interesting the crypt is showing a yellow-edge to green center pattern (magnesium deficiency?) and the anubias is showing yellow center to green edge pattern (mild nitrogen deficiency? )
mattinmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2015, 07:27 PM   #5
delgado4604
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirkinator View Post
That looks like a pond snail, esp with those spots. I raise them for my puffers and loaches. If you dont have any snail eaters tho they can kinda get out of hand. Nerites are much bigger and dont spawn in fresh water, so I really doubt its a juvenile nertite. If they ever get out of hand (and you have room for another fish), skunk loaches are the most voracious predators of them ive seen. My pod of 3 can take out 50+ snails in a night (they are nocturnal). Pea puffers are great at removing them too but tend to only eat live foods. so if you dont have a gammarus/snail tank(easy as hell) for live foods, you might have a hard time keeping them alive.
They only eat decaying plants? I thought of leaving it be in the tank idk how big they get or if theyll destroy my plants that was my main concern. Definately dont have room for anymore fish im at capacity.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
+1 The snail appears to be a bladder/pond snail. Common and relatively harmless, will chew through dying plant leaves.

The spots on your upper-right anubias leaf look like a green spot algae. The lower leaf it is harder to tell what those brown bits are, too blurry.. baby snails? baby black brush algae?

Also, your crypts and anubias seem to be showing a bit of chlorosis... Interesting the crypt is showing a yellow-edge to green center pattern (magnesium deficiency?) and the anubias is showing yellow center to green edge pattern (mild nitrogen deficiency? )
Well i seperated the snail in a container and its been pooping like crazy and sure enough its identical to the stuff on the back leaf thats too blurry to see lol i guess the anubias was his home. The spots i think youre right about it being algea and i think i do have baby black brush algea it looks like tiny patches of black fuzz. Idk what to do about that but im going to buy some excell right now. Also ive been dosing an all in one fertilizer liquid with micro macro nutrients and trace elements so not sure if i have any deficiencies. My anubias seems pretty dark green to me minus 1 leaf that just opened up from a bulb which is more of a lime green. Crypts have me a bit worried with the color but theyve actalually been growing more leaves and look fuller. My biggest concern is my dying red lilly idk what to do about that one its melting away.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1421267690801846440135.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	415786  

Name:	14212677456722102712287.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	415794  

Old 01-14-2015, 07:55 PM   #6
mattinmd
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by delgado4604 View Post
They only eat decaying plants? I thought of leaving it be in the tank idk how big they get or if theyll destroy my plants that was my main concern. Definately dont have room for anymore fish im at capacity.

Pond snails stay fairly small... Roughly pinto-bean sized.

Quote:
Well i seperated the snail in a container and its been pooping like crazy and sure enough its identical to the stuff on the back leaf thats too blurry to see lol i guess the anubias was his home.
If the snail is mostly eating algae, it is going to poop like mad.. not a very nutrient dense food source, so they have to eat a lot of it.

Quote:
Also ive been dosing an all in one fertilizer liquid with micro macro nutrients and trace elements so not sure if i have any deficiencies. My anubias seems pretty dark green to me minus 1 leaf that just opened up from a bulb which is more of a lime green. Crypts have me a bit worried with the color but theyve actalually been growing more leaves and look fuller. My biggest concern is my dying red lilly idk what to do about that one its melting away.
An all-in-one fertilizer that's truly complete isn't generally possible in liquid form. At the very least, iron and phosphorus react if present in sufficient concentrations, so you can't have good doses of both.

If you're using Seachem's flourish comprehensive, that's mostly a micronutrient fertilizer. It contains some NPK, but very little compared to what plants consume.

For example flourish comprehensive contains 0.07% Nitrogen, and 0.32% iron.. that's less than 1/4 as much nitrogen as iron.

However, plants consume something on the order of 100 times more Nitrogen than iron... (Plant leaf dry matter is typically a few percent nitrogen, and a few hundredths of a percent iron)

Clearly you can't dose enough nitrogen with flourish comprehensive without massively over-dosing iron.

I'm no expert on lillies, but that looks a lot like nitrogen defficiency, which seems a bit strange given high fish load. I might try to find a fertilizer tablet with a good amount of nitrogen and put it near that plant. (Seachem root tabs are, like the liquid, mostly micronutrient..)
mattinmd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2015, 08:56 PM   #7
delgado4604
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmd View Post
Pond snails stay fairly small... Roughly pinto-bean sized.

If the snail is mostly eating algae, it is going to poop like mad.. not a very nutrient dense food source, so they have to eat a lot of it.

An all-in-one fertilizer that's truly complete isn't generally possible in liquid form. At the very least, iron and phosphorus react if present in sufficient concentrations, so you can't have good doses of both.

If you're using Seachem's flourish comprehensive, that's mostly a micronutrient fertilizer. It contains some NPK, but very little compared to what plants consume.

For example flourish comprehensive contains 0.07% Nitrogen, and 0.32% iron.. that's less than 1/4 as much nitrogen as iron.

However, plants consume something on the order of 100 times more Nitrogen than iron... (Plant leaf dry matter is typically a few percent nitrogen, and a few hundredths of a percent iron)

Clearly you can't dose enough nitrogen with flourish comprehensive without massively over-dosing iron.

I'm no expert on lillies, but that looks a lot like nitrogen defficiency, which seems a bit strange given high fish load. I might try to find a fertilizer tablet with a good amount of nitrogen and put it near that plant. (Seachem root tabs are, like the liquid, mostly micronutrient..)
Well that explained a lot... im not using tabs since i used all flourite for the substrate but since you brought that up im gonna look for some to see if i can save my dwarf lilly. I see some little holes in my crispus im thinking potassium? So im assuming i need to buy a bottle of each of these nutrients? Sounds a bit expensive i know its like 10 bucks per bottle of flourish iron then potasium and so on... i just left the store with excell so all i have now is flourite, flourish excell and flourish comprehensive

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.