Breeding B. Macrostoma
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 03-09-2012, 03:31 AM   #1
afr3178
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Breeding B. Macrostoma

Hi Everyone,
So I have looked into keeping and breeding Betta Macrostoma for several weeks now and have learnt a lot about them. I want to turn one of my tanks into a breeder, but I can't decide on my 50 liter or 150 liter. I have both tanks available, it will depend on if I plan on keeping anything else in my 150 liter (37 gallon) or not.
My work has 2 pairs at the moment but I think I will wait a bit longer before I get a pair. The pairs are all wild caught and this will be my first experience with wild caught fish.
Any advice?
Thanks
Adam

Last edited by afr3178; 03-09-2012 at 09:21 AM..
afr3178 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2012, 12:39 AM   #2
afr3178
Algae Grower

At the moment, I have leaned towards a 50 liter bottomless with some driftwood creations and some plants in pots. I just think my 37 gallon could be used for better things. I'm going to set the tank up today and hopefully get a pair very shortly.
I will let you all know about when I will be getting a pair.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
afr3178
Algae Grower

I have work tomorrow so I will be asking my boss about getting a pair straight from wherever we order the wild caught pairs from. I know it will be less than $170 (AU) which I am really happy with. I will let you know tomorrow night. Thinking of changing the 50 liter bottomless tank to a 50 liter with sand maybe and lots of plants. My only problem is about getting any babies out. Trying to cover all bases so I am trying to take things slow and steady.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:38 AM   #4
Cakeslob

Im involved with a breeding project 2 pairs of first generation macros, they are about 6 7in and around 13babies. hes using a heavily planted and wooded 36gal with lots if floating ricca and a glass top to keep the air humid, and from getting out. he has plenty of caves and cover. Isnt there restrictions on wild caught b macros?
Cakeslob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 02:47 AM   #5
speedie408
Canon Pimp #001

PTrader: (378/100%)

I'm eager to see what type of results you'll be getting. I've tried my hands at breeding Macs in the past but have not been very successful. I still have a couple pairs that I may be trying out again soon.

Please keep us posted.

btw from my experience, WC fish are much more finicky when it comes to water parameters. They are also very timid, especially during spawning. Some folks use black curtains to block all outside movments so the fish don't get spooked.
speedie408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #6
afr3178
Algae Grower

Haven't heard anything about restrictions before. I'll be using a glass top to keep it humid and stop them jumping out. Hopefully I can have some success with getting and raising fry in a smaller tank with the same sort of setup- planted and wooded.
I'll make sure everything is at desired parameters and stable a few weeks before I'm expected to get them. I'll look into getting a curtain so they can stay as relaxed as possible.
Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #7
afr3178
Algae Grower

Some bad news and some not really bad.. So the last pair of macros were sold today... That's the not so bad news because I want to order my own pair. The bad news is that now I can't stop and look at them every time I walk past them lol. Unfortunately my boss wasn't there tonight so I'm thinking about emailing him or waiting until next week to talk to him. I might get my plants ordered and the tank ready before next week, then talk to my boss about them. I'll keep you posted.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
afr3178
Algae Grower

So I've decided on my tank setup. I'm going to have a very fine gravel like 1 mm and some java moss, maybe java fern and some driftwood creations so it's all easy to remove to catch any fry. Regarding the tank, I've thought of putting two 50 liter tanks next to eachother and somehow joining them with the female in one and the male in the other, so water parameters will be easier to maintain and once they breed I can easily move the female without giving her a shock from transition. Any ideas on how to join two tanks?
Old 03-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #9
afr3178
Algae Grower

More delays in my project- my boss was away again. I'm trying to find gravel at the moment anyway. Also, no tanks ready. I'm think of joining two of my 50 liter tanks.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
ShortFin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

The 150 liter tank would be better. Our lfs has a pair in an Ebi tank and the female is beating the sh*t out of the male. She is also larger too.
ShortFin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
afr3178
Algae Grower

Lol. Yeah, I've already got a project I'm working on with the 150 liter. I'm going to join two of my 50 liters so it is a 100 liter with a divider in the middle where I can just switch the male or female over when they spawn.
Thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 04:10 AM   #12
afr3178
Algae Grower

Thinking of scrapping the 50 litres all together and seeing how much it would cost for my to get a custom built tank over 100 litres that is long and fits on the cabinet it will be sitting on. I'll get a quote soon and let you know what I'm doing. I'll find out about the macros next week. I'll keep you posted
Old 03-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #13
afr3178
Algae Grower

Finally some good news. So, my boss said I can't get a pair directly from overseas, but that they will probably be able to give me a good deal... In return for fry. Hopefully I can get that far! Should be ordering my new tank (130cm by 40cm by 30cm) soon if I can find a good stand or reinforce my current chest of draws.[censored]I'll keep you posted.[censored]
Old 04-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
afr3178
Algae Grower

Okay. Good news, chest of draws was always strong enough. 3 new pairs came into work and I'm getting one my tank is ordered and should be ready soon. I won't be getting the pair until next week but am really excited! The pair looks amazing, especially the male who won't stop eating!
I'll let you know what's happening
Old 04-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #15
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (55/100%)

make sure to give us pics of the pair.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.