Hello
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Forums > The Lounge & Introductions

Old 03-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
Ashmash
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hello

Hello! Im Ashlee. I recently stumbled upon this forum when I decided to turn my Betta tank into a planted Betta tank!

So far I have a 5 gal tank with a java fern, anachris, and anubias nana. They're planted in floura max substrate and I have a 10 watt 5100 k light bulb. As for fauna I have 1 Betta, 3 Otos, and 7 ghost shrimp. I'm going to make a DIY co2 cartridge but am unsure how to defuse it... I'm still learning, but am trying!!!

Where I started ...

Then went to this
that's right after adding the new substrate

Then the next morning

But my heater wasn't strong enough because my house is always freezing so I got an E electronic Fluval digital heater 50 watt.

I know it's huge and ugly but it has been keeping the temp perfect at 78*F so I'm happy.

What do you think? Not only is this my first planted tank but it's my first fish tank!!! I'm mostly into reptiles and decided to start a nano fish tank. I know they are harder to keep, but I enjoy a challenge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1331186472.329464.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	43663  

Ashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
Ashmash
Algae Grower

Please ignore that last picture. I'm in tapatalk and just figuring it out.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
Daximus
Wannabe Guru

Looks good Ashley!

I'm a bit confused by what you mean when you say DIY cartridge....DIY Co2 is too easy. 2 liter bottle, 2 cups Sugar, 1 teaspoon yeast, fill 3/4 full with warm (not hot) water...drill small hole into cap so that tubing makes an airtight fit (use silicon to make airtight if needed), add diffusion method onto other end of airline...stick in tank. Too easy.

Another thing you might try, next time you are at the store look for a GE "Daylight" 6500k CFL bulb....it won't be as "yellow" as the one you are using and I think you may like it better. Both will grow plants though...that just a visual thing.
Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

Looks very nice after the rescape!

+1 to what daximus said its very easy to do your co2 unless your me and try to over complicate things...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
Ashmash
Algae Grower

That's what I meant with the CO2, but what can I use to diffuse it? I don't want to buy a fancy defuser.

Thanks for the tips on the light bulb. I've been trying to find a new one. Do you have any idea what wattage that bulb is? My hood max is 15.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Daximus
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashmash View Post
That's what I meant with the CO2, but what can I use to diffuse it? I don't want to buy a fancy defuser.

Thanks for the tips on the light bulb. I've been trying to find a new one. Do you have any idea what wattage that bulb is? My hood max is 15.
The CFLs come in all variety of wattage. If that's a standard 5 gallon I would probably go with the 10 watt CFL, maybe 13 watt if you are feeling froggy. The key is the 6500k.

DIY Co2 diffusion is a topic that could take up 9 or 10 pages with all the different methods. My personal favorite with DIY was to use a plain old blue airstone (small one) and set it up in such a manor so that some of the bubbles get sucked into the filter intake. Granted, not the most efficient method ever, but then again DIY isn't all that efficient to begin with. I like the airstone method because almost everyone has an old airstone laying around...ot they can buy one for $1.50. Another alternative to the airstone is to use about an inch off the end of a chopstick. Sounds crazy, I know, but it works.

Don't let the word diffusion make this more complicated than it need be. The goal is to keep the Co2 in the tank as long as possible. Smaller bubbles float around longer...so the goal for entry level DIY diffusion is make really small bubbles.
Daximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #7
Ashmash
Algae Grower

Awesome that makes sense! Thank you! And I will look for that bulb!!!

I'm so excited for my tank!