New Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Colorado

Old 03-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
Scyry
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Talking

New Tank

Been thinking about another tank for a while. My 2.5 I have decided is cursed, plus I never liked it from the beginnning, wife picked it out. So I picked up a Mr. Aqua 7.5 gal. Cube to replace the 2.5. The tank is a little bigger than I thought it would be, but I'm happy it is. It is a good looking tank, there is some slight offsets in the heights of the side panes, but there are small enough I couldn't capture them with my camera.

Plans are MTS capped with CaribSea - Peace River. Been slowly working on some MTS, winter and keeping it in my garage is making it a slow process. Plan on using some petrified wood I have as the hardscape. Going to try and use cholla wood to hide the filter intake and other equipment.

I am trying to decide between an Archeae 27W Clip on and Catalina Compact Lighthouse 26W, 12-inch.

I plan on filling it with crypts, nothing fancy. I am still learning and am scared to death to get a pricey plant and kill it. I am trying to come up with a nutrient sponge plant to out compete algae. Thinking Rotala Rotundifolia so I can get a little red mixed in. Anyone have suggestions? Also will throw in a couple Anubias.

Probably will be a month before I put it together, going to wait for temps to come up before ordering plants for it, but I was really excited to see it when I got home yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-inch Cube.JPG (117.0 KB, 11 views)

Mr.Aqua 7.5 Gallon Cube
2.5 Gallon Aqueon Bowfront

Last edited by Scyry; 03-07-2012 at 08:01 PM..
Scyry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #2
madness
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

One of the absolute best nutrient sponges, IMO, is frogbit.

Floating plants in general are wonderful for outcompeting algae because they have easy access to the CO2 in the atmosphere as well as better access to light. They also block light from ever entering the tank (which also limits algae growth).

I used frogbit pretty successfully to avoid algae in my two tanks that used Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix (which has far more organic matter in it than MTS) and thus should have had more algae and other issues.

Frogbit looks pretty good and is large enough to be pretty easily removed down the line at some point if you decide you don't want it in the tank (unlike duckweed which is a pain to get rid of).
madness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
Scyry
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Finally put this thing together yesterday:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...17#post3165617

Mr.Aqua 7.5 Gallon Cube
2.5 Gallon Aqueon Bowfront
Scyry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

It looks good.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:47 PM   #5
ShyShrimpDoc
ScrimpMaster

PTrader: (10/100%)

If you want rotalla PM me. I can sell you some cheap. I have an abundance of plants at the moment.
ShyShrimpDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.