12G Club: Got a 12 GalloN RimlesS or wanna get 1? PoSt/SeE HeRe! - Page 52
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 10-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #766
MsNemoShrimp
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...

PTrader: (372/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coste View Post
And a couple more shots, these are all from my iPhone
I notice you only have 1 small internal filter for this tank? I wonder how it could keep the tank so clean that way?
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 10:17 AM   #767
sayurasem
SCAPEr

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coste View Post
No need to apologize, I love talking about the tank. What exactly do you mean by specs? Water parameters?
Such as what light fixture, photoperiod hours, substrate, what kind of fert dosing, filter, fauna, list of flora, etc. that good stuff

Or am I suppose to buy the magazine to see all those? Haha
sayurasem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:39 AM   #768
Neatfish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'll be in this club pretty soon. Nice tanks everybody.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #769
Coste
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoShrimp View Post
I notice you only have 1 small internal filter for this tank? I wonder how it could keep the tank so clean that way?
I have two small internal filters in there. One of these at each end:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...6&pcatid=23686

But I also so a lot of water changes. And when your tank is that densely planted, the plants do a lot of work cleaning the water for you. The whole little eco system. Plants use the nitrates, black worms in the substrate liquify detrius and waste for the plants to use, cory's scavenge for uneaten food, along with the shrimp that also eat algae.
Coste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #770
Coste
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayurasem View Post
Such as what light fixture, photoperiod hours, substrate, what kind of fert dosing, filter, fauna, list of flora, etc. that good stuff

Or am I suppose to buy the magazine to see all those? Haha
The magazine has all of it, I took screenshots of the article, I hope TFH wouldn't get mad if I post them.

I mentioned the ferts in one of the posts above I believe, I really have no method of dosing, just kind of guess.

I absolutely hate my substrate. It is perpetually a cloudy mess if it gets disturbed. Growing a lawn over it helps reduce that, but if you shift anything around in the tank with it, it becomes the dust bowl in there. It is Caribsea Floramax Premium.

The lighting is the Coralife 36" T5 dual freshwater lamp. I have a Coralife Colormax bulb in there as well as a 6,700k bulb in there. If your tank isn't going to be densely planted, I would not recommend the Colormax bulb, it is sort of a pinkish color. If you are going to densely plant the tank, I would recommend it, looks awesome. These are not the HO bulbs though I don't think, I believe they are 21W per bulb, so 42 total. My photoperiod is long. When I get up in the morning around 7:30 until I go to bed at night, around 11:00 or so. (I dose Excel daily)

The flora and fauna is extensive, I'll have to address this in another post, or if I can link the article.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #771
Coste
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_intricacy View Post
Sounds intense... how many ga/hour is that? how do you know when your flow is too little? I'm curious why not use a external canister?

edit: also, awesome Dutch tank, man!
I'm not exactly how much flow it is, I think the filters are designed for 15 gallon tanks and under, and I have two of them in there. I'm not sure there is a science to knowing if you have too little flow. I don't want too much that the fish can't rest, and I don't want too little that there are stagnant spots. This method worked out perfect. With all the plantings there are areas where the flow is reduced and then wide open in the middle where the fish like to dart around and in the current. I have such a wide array of fish in there that I had to consider many types of water flows, it was difficult and I'm surprised I was able to accommodate everything I wanted to.

As far as the external canister, as I stated in an earlier post, I am using an internal canister now with lily pipes, and I don't like it. I don't think it is as easy as just saying "Why not use an external canister". For one they are more expensive than other solutions so it may not be an option for some people. Secondly, this tank sits on my kitchen counter, and canister filters must sit below the tank. I live in an apartment and rent, so I didn't want to drill the cabinets, which I eventually did anyway. I'm more of a minimalist when it comes to things outside the aquarium. If I can get by with only 4 cords (two filters, one light and one heater) emerging from the tank and that's it, that's what I prefer.

I don't think I'd call this a Dutch tank, more of a nature tank.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:56 AM   #772
if_fishes_were_wishes
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Those are really cool filters! I never would've thought of using those.
Eheim pimp #255

55 gallon semi-aggressive community tank, 13.3 gallon cherry shrimp tank 12 long reef
12G Rimless Club
if_fishes_were_wishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:20 AM   #773
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

i just picked up a 12g long and am excited to get going on my new hardscape!

i'm thinking of either ADA AMAZONIA or Mr. Aqua substrate, my question is; How many 9L bags of Amazonia would I need? It seems like one bag wouldn't be enough to create a slope. Same thing regarding the Mr. Aqua large bag, would I need two of those?

Thanks. This thread has been a great source of inspiration for me!
Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #774
rocksmom
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedee View Post
i just picked up a 12g long and am excited to get going on my new hardscape!

i'm thinking of either ADA AMAZONIA or Mr. Aqua substrate, my question is; How many 9L bags of Amazonia would I need? It seems like one bag wouldn't be enough to create a slope. Same thing regarding the Mr. Aqua large bag, would I need two of those?

Thanks. This thread has been a great source of inspiration for me!
One bag should be enough. I had amazonia in mine originally and had it pretty deep on the ends, plus had some left over.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:19 PM   #775
nerdariostomp
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

10 liters would be enough to do anything you wanted. I feel like 9 liters is kind of tight bit generally worKing its enough.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:51 PM   #776
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks for the replies, im hoping to start hardscaping this weekend, depends if im able to pick up my seiryu stones. i'll be sure to make a new thread and link the 12GRimless Club in my signature!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #777
MsNemoShrimp

Quote:
thanks for the replies, im hoping to start hardscaping this weekend, depends if im able to pick up my seiryu stones. i'll be sure to make a new thread and link the 12GRimless Club in my signature!
Welcome! Can't wait to see the hardscape!
Old 10-20-2012, 06:25 AM   #778
beedee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here we go with a new project, a Mr. Aqua 12g Long. I picked this tank up last weekend from a local SCAPE member and have been dying to get started on this since the day I brought it home. Over the last week and a half I've been lusting over many 12g's over here on the 12g Long Club thread and finally began to build mine up this evening.

These two pictures are my first go at a hardscape with this tank. My goal was to use the entire length of the tank, with the left side being the more dramatic of the two, while having a valley in the middle area. I will be doing a Dry Start, and plan to update this thread weekly.

Specs:
Tank: Mr. Aqua 12g Long
Substrate: ADA "New" Amazonia (1 bag)
Hardscape: Seiryu Stone (11)
Flora: Hemianthus Callitrichoides ‘Cuba’(HC), Eleocharis Parvula (DHG) and Hydrocotyle sp."Japan"
Fauna: Thinking of 15 Boraras Brigittae or 15 Ember Tetras (something to contrast the green plants)
CO2: DIY
Ferts: Liquid NPK + Excel
Filtration: Eheim 2213 or Fluval 206
Lighting: AquaticLife 36" T5HO 6500k & Roseate (planning on suspending light, and using layer of window screen to tame the light)

On to the pix (iPhone with fingerprints galore):

As always, feedback is welcome and encouraged, thanks for looking!!! I linked my thread in my signature.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #779
MsNemoShrimp

Quote:
Here we go with a new project, a Mr. Aqua 12g Long. I picked this tank up last weekend from a local SCAPE member and have been dying to get started on this since the day I brought it home. Over the last week and a half I've been lusting over many 12g's over here on the 12g Long Club thread and finally began to build mine up this evening.

These two pictures are my first go at a hardscape with this tank. My goal was to use the entire length of the tank, with the left side being the more dramatic of the two, while having a valley in the middle area. I will be doing a Dry Start, and plan to update this thread weekly.

Specs:
Tank: Mr. Aqua 12g Long
Substrate: ADA "New" Amazonia (1 bag)
Hardscape: Seiryu Stone (11)
Flora: Hemianthus Callitrichoides ‘Cuba’(HC), Eleocharis Parvula (DHG) and Hydrocotyle sp."Japan"
Fauna: Thinking of 15 Boraras Brigittae or 15 Ember Tetras (something to contrast the green plants)
CO2: DIY
Ferts: Liquid NPK + Excel
Filtration: Eheim 2213 or Fluval 206
Lighting: AquaticLife 36" T5HO 6500k & Roseate (planning on suspending light, and using layer of window screen to tame the light)

On to the pix (iPhone with fingerprints galore):

As always, feedback is welcome and encouraged, thanks for looking!!! I linked my thread in my signature.
Very beautiful
Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #780
andrewss
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

im so jealous of you guys with the 12 gallon mr aqua lol

it will definitely be my next nano tank
andrewss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 gallon long, 12 gallon rimless, mr aqua, nano tanks, stand