12g long with HMF, in fishless cycling
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-28-2014, 11:04 PM   #1
nonswimmer
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

12g long with HMF, in fishless cycling

08/30/2014

Last edited by nonswimmer; Today at 04:35 AM.. Reason: Posting updates in front.
nonswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 12:44 AM   #2
water-kitties
Master of shrimp whiskers

PTrader: (12/100%)

Hello nonswimmer! Looking forward to watching your build develop. I got my low iron mr.aqua today with a crack from the post handling (boo) but a replacement is being sent right away. I hope to being going low tech as well but have concerns with using the Sat+ I purchased being too strong. Any lighting plans yet?
Old 07-29-2014, 12:55 AM   #3
nonswimmer
Algae Grower

Hi water-kitties. Sorry about your crack. I did look at the sat+ as well. It comes with a dimmer as I understand and it is described in some posts as "low to medium light source". On the other hand, the 12 long is just 8-9 inches tall, so I am also a bit afraid that it could be too much for this particular situation. I have not decided yet, but I like to get an LED light for sure.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:27 AM   #4
nonswimmer
Algae Grower

Default 12g long, low tech, HMF

My back yard soil is full of some kind of schist. I washed and sieved some of it.

Is this usable as a substrate?? It looks like it has mica. I do not think it contains carbonates. We are close to the Wissahickon, but it is too soft and shinny for Wissahickon schist.

Last edited by nonswimmer; 08-03-2014 at 05:10 AM.. Reason: frivolous
Old 07-29-2014, 04:11 AM   #5
water-kitties

As long as it is mica and not pyrite it may not cause problems to fish. I would never trust it with inverts. Mica can have trace amounts of more hazardous metals but it's hard to know if it will of how much it would contain. I could potentially see the flaking mica causing issue with anything mechanical but if you are doing a hamburg filter maybe that won't matter. Someone with more hands on knowledge might have more information. I tend to be overly cautious but that's just the type of person I am.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #6
nonswimmer
Algae Grower

Thank you, good points. It is flaky, so likely mica, but caution is good advice. Heavy metals could be a threat as well. Do you know if one can buy test kits for things like this? I work in a research lab. Maybe I could find myself a chemist there and pick its mind a bit.
When do you expect your tank replacement to come in? Mine is due Friday "By End of Day", just in time for the weekend. Do you have a pump/filter in mind yet?
Old 07-29-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
vanish
Planted Member

The Sat+ is extremely adjustable so it will be easy to reduce the light if you are finding it too strong.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #8
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

congrats. the hmf is my new favorite type of filter. works great on fry and shrimp tanks.
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #9
water-kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonswimmer View Post
Thank you, good points. It is flaky, so likely mica, but caution is good advice. Heavy metals could be a threat as well. Do you know if one can buy test kits for things like this? I work in a research lab. Maybe I could find myself a chemist there and pick its mind a bit.
When do you expect your tank replacement to come in? Mine is due Friday "By End of Day", just in time for the weekend. Do you have a pump/filter in mind yet?
I know they have copper and iron test easily available for aquarium testing. As for other things like lead I'm not sure, I would think there would be something readily available since people test drinking water for such things.

My tank originally took a week but that is because it had a delay from UPS so it did not make it on the Friday it was intended to. I received it Monday but with a hairline crack so be sure to look very close.The replacement was put in ASAP yesterday but is still processing. I personally will be putting an Eheim 2213 on it with a custom spray bar, I have a small apartment so I like a quiet filter. With a low bioload of shrimp it will be more than enough.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:47 PM   #10
nonswimmer
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanish View Post
The Sat+ is extremely adjustable so it will be easy to reduce the light if you are finding it too strong.
Thank you; nothing better than getting confirmation for ones vague speculations!

I saw on amazon that they have a similar (?) light out where you can time light changes: Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light.
It makes sense. A regular light, you put on a timer and it goes on and off.
With the Sat+, you can not use a timer to switch it from dusk to bright to dawn to moon, but you have to be there and do it with the remote.

Unfortunately, it's not cheap and certainly not "low tech". I also do not know how low that one can go.
Still, tempting, is it not?
Old 07-29-2014, 11:03 PM   #11
nonswimmer
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasob85 View Post
congrats. the hmf is my new favorite type of filter. works great on fry and shrimp tanks.
Thanks a lot. Makes me looking forward to it even more!

I also plan not to do water changes, after running the tank for a while.
First of all, after reading a lot about it, the science of it makes sense to me, with the "muck" playing the role of a weak cation exchanger, etc.
But much more so, there is an old German booklet that makes the following statement:

" In a properly designed and planted aquarium, the water must remain clear and transparent despite years of use and non-renewal! "

1906, 3rd edition of the "Guide for aquarium and terrarium friends" by Dr. E. Zernecke.

I know, Germans are crazy, and being one, I could not agree more. (Happy to live in the US myself!) I will also acknowledge that this may not work for an high tech tank (?), but I don't think Dr. E. Zernecke was lying to us in 1906. May not be easy to do though...

Last edited by nonswimmer; 07-29-2014 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: changed url to img
Old 07-29-2014, 11:18 PM   #12
nonswimmer
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by water-kitties View Post
I know they have copper and iron test easily available for aquarium testing. As for other things like lead I'm not sure, I would think there would be something readily available since people test drinking water for such things.

My tank originally took a week but that is because it had a delay from UPS so it did not make it on the Friday it was intended to. I received it Monday but with a hairline crack so be sure to look very close.The replacement was put in ASAP yesterday but is still processing. I personally will be putting an Eheim 2213 on it with a custom spray bar, I have a small apartment so I like a quiet filter. With a low bioload of shrimp it will be more than enough.
I will check with a magnifying glass, thank you for the warning! I will also get some tests and start soaking that schist.
Spray bar on one of the short ends and pump intake at the other, I assume? I am thinking about where exactly I should dump the filtered water back into the tank. Just back through the matt of the filter seems not right for the geometry of this long tank. Also good to remind me to put noise on the list of considerations.
I am still not used to the fact that people have shrimp in aquariums, is that a more recent thing? I think I have never seen that myself and now I feel guilty that I still just think "food" every time you mention it, instead of fascinating creature. Sorry. And that from a biologist...
Old 07-30-2014, 01:22 AM   #13
water-kitties

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonswimmer View Post
I will check with a magnifying glass, thank you for the warning! I will also get some tests and start soaking that schist.
Spray bar on one of the short ends and pump intake at the other, I assume? I am thinking about where exactly I should dump the filtered water back into the tank. Just back through the matt of the filter seems not right for the geometry of this long tank. Also good to remind me to put noise on the list of considerations.
I am still not used to the fact that people have shrimp in aquariums, is that a more recent thing? I think I have never seen that myself and now I feel guilty that I still just think "food" every time you mention it, instead of fascinating creature. Sorry. And that from a biologist...

I was out of the aquarium game a while too and when I came back, tiny colored shrimp and nano fish! They have me hooked though. I think I am strange in the fact that I just find them very cute, so small! They would still probably be tasty if they were big enough to be worth eating. This tank would look fantastic with a large school of ember tetras or threadfin rainbow fish too.

On filtration, I know in some 12g long journals you can search on this forum and see some use sponge filters but end up needing multiple to avoid dead areas. I do not believe I have ever seen a HMF in this shape of tank before so you will probably be a person people will reference if you go that path. You could consider a nano circulation pump.

I've seen people with very high (eheim 2215+two circulation pumps)and low end (one small HOB in center) of filtration and movement in these tanks. It might boil down to each tanks own needs and the owners preference.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:59 AM   #14
nonswimmer
Algae Grower

Lot's of things for me to google. Thank you so much.
How tiny are you shrimp?
Old 07-30-2014, 02:34 AM   #15
water-kitties

Very tiny. I don't think the biggest of my females are more than an inch, the babies are incredibly tiny like the size of this dash - You will hear mixed opinions on how difficult they can be but if you ever consider trying to keep some check out the fantastic invertebrate section of this forum. They are much different in care from fish but make pretty unique pets.

Here is some babies I would guess are over a week old and a male, note the size of the substrate is rather small.

I'm going to be moving their colony from the current 5.5 gallon to the 12g. I'm going on a trip so hopefully next week I'll have my tank and will set up a journal as well.

Tags
12g long, hmf