Fluval Osaka 155 - 40 Gallon
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-19-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
Madison

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval Osaka 155 - 40 Gallon

My first post here on this forum, I hope I'm posting in the right place.

I've have had a Fluval Osaka 155 for a 3-4 years now and have been wanting to do a serious planted tank for some time. I have to move the tank a few times over the last 6 months due to a job change from IL to MI and now back to IL. (No fish casualties)

I've tried a few plants here and there but they have eventually succumbed to dark fuzzy algae growing on the edges or them getting nipped up by my fish. I've eliminated the phosphate problem so I think my algae problems are over. I still have been fighting rather high nitrates, so I've been doing water changes to drop that down. I was at 160ppm a week or so ago and now I'm sitting around 40 ppm. I'll continue to do 20-25% changes until I can get this down. Perhaps that is why a few of my old timer fish died. I lost a beautiful male rosy barb and one of my largest molly's. . I recently discovered that my nitrate tests have been garbage because I have not shaken up my reagents enough to get a proper test and after doing so now, it does indeed show accurate results. I have also cut back on feedings to every other day. They always look so hungry.

Anyways I bought a bag of Amazonia normal and the fine grain for new substrate. I want to carpet with HC and middle ground with Dwarf Hairgrass and put some Ludwigia Repens in the back. I have a few pieces of driftwood I was also thinking of tying some java moss on. I'm running a Marineland C220 and C160 (leaking) and have a C02 bubbler. My tank is 24" high (more or less a cube) and I bought a Maxspect Razor which seems to be a pretty awesome light.

The plan is to move 1 canister and all the fish into a 20-25 gallons of tank water into a storage tub and maintain them there. I'm a little concerned about filtration with that many fish in 20-25 gallons. I'd leave the C220 in the main tank and keep 10-15 gallons there adding new water once I have the Aquasoil in place and the plants in. I'd simply keep testing the water and doing some changes until all the ammonia leached out. Once that happened I would empty out enough to put most of the fish water back in along with the fish and hopefully be done. I'd test both the tub and tank to see how close things were and try to transition the fish so as not to shock them or anything.

Oh one last thing. My current fish inventory is:

1 Male Rosy Barb (his buddy died, I think he has swim bladder but lasted only a few hours) I take the blame. I recall that I may over fed that day with frozen brine shrimp and some frozen veggie and he ate too much to fast.

3 Female Rosy Barbs
3 Albino Cory
1 Spotfin Cory
1 Panda Cory
3 Painted Plattys
2 Golden Molly (good sized)
5-6 Danios
4 Clown Loaches (good sized ~3")
3 Silver Mollys
1 Spotted Pleco. Had him 2-3 years and he seems to have stayed at 5" and has been that size for a year at least.
1 other little pleco that has buried itself into a hole in my driftwood and refuses to move.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

John
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (182/100%)

Welcome to the Planted Tank! Sounds like way too much fish for too little space. Especially Clown loaches deserve large tanks.

I believe everyone can and should pack as much fish into their tanks as they want to. However, with that much biomass, it becomes very difficult to keep things healthy. Not just the fish, the plants as well. Besides the nipping, a thick bio-film is just not plant friendly.

Just my thoughts... I try to under-stock my tanks, so that in case of filter failure or a 3 week vacation nothing bad happens to my pets. And the thought of them swimming in their own concentrated... Of course, everyone has different opinions, and that is fine.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2015, 04:39 PM   #3
Madison

Is that why I'm fighting Nitrates a lot? I have a few friends who could take some of the fish off my hands. How much would you reduce down to and what fish would you remove from the tank?
Old 05-20-2015, 04:51 PM   #4
natebuchholz
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madison View Post
Is that why I'm fighting Nitrates a lot? I have a few friends who could take some of the fish off my hands. How much would you reduce down to and what fish would you remove from the tank?
I believe you have hit the nail on the head with the nitrate diagnosis. Another contributing factor is probably the addition of the new Amazonia. This substrate leeches ammonia during the first few months. It is a good substrate but, this could be contributing to your high nitrate levels.

Whichever fish you choose to remove is totally up to you. The largest bioload contributors would be the clowns and the pleco.

Welcome to TPT!

Journals:
Long............XII
natebuchholz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #5
Madison

Thanks! I've not done the transition to amazonia yet. I'd like to get my nitrates down before I change anything. I love my clown loaches.. they have such great color and are nice sized. I'm attached to my pleco too... he's probably been the longest inhabitant in my tank.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.