12" Desk Cube
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #1
atm424
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

12" Desk Cube

Hello, I'm starting a journal for my newest purchase, a DBP 12" cube!

I am very excited to get the ball rolling on this tank, as school is starting in two days and I want it to at least be started before school consumes every spare minute of my life!!! I have had a planted 20 long for over a year and am looking to branch out. I have a 75g on hold till next summer probably. So this is my new project. I would say I'm a little more than a novice when it comes to aquaria but not quite at an intermediate level, so I will most definitely have questions that I hope you wonderful people here can help me out with! Thanks for looking.

So, here are the specs and equipment plans.

Tank: DBP 12" Rimless

Light: TBD. ( A desk lamp for the time being)

Filter: Ehiem 2213 (need to purchase) I also have a small aquaclear filter if the need to fill arises.

CO2: 10lb tank with JBJ regulator and bubble counter. Still need a diffuser

Substrate: ActivFlora Floracor Black ( I highly recommend this stuff!)

Hardscape: Black lava rock and some South American driftwood

Now onto the green stuff!

Foreground is going to be all HC, mid and back corner is some DHG and the background is some Rotala Rotundifolia. I'm going to add some Anubias Nana once its filled up and maybe some narrow leaf Java Fern from my 20L.

For the fauna, I'm stumped... I literally have no idea what I want to put in here. Its 7.5 gallons so a single species and something small. I would LOVE to do some shrimp (even cherries) but no store carries them for a reasonable price near me. I am completely open to suggestions and let me know what you would put in there if it was your tank.

Here are some pictures (hopefully they work!)

This was yesterday. I started with 3 pots of HC and plan to let it root then fill. I'm not testing my bad luck by letting it fully carpet before fill!

Today I bought a pack of DHG from PETsMART. So this is where it stands at the moment.

Okay, now I have some questions as this is my first dry start.

1. Ferts. Should I fertilize now during dry start? I can if its beneficial. My concern with this is that activflora is inert so should I be spraying anything with my misting?

2. Temp. Is It necessary to keep a certain temperature during dry start? I'm at about 78* with the light on for a few hours.

3. Photoperiod. How long if there is a convention? I really haven't a clue? The tank gets a little natural light from a window in the morning till around 10 a.m.

4. Moisture. This is mostly in regards to the substrate. I put it in dry and planted, then gave a heavy misting. My question is should all of the substrate be wet? I know that there should be no standing water, but should it be wet all the way to the bottom?

5. Moss. I'm up in the air on this one. Do you think it would look better with moss on the branches? I don't have any moss other than Java (a.k.a. the plague...) so I don't really want to introduce it into this tank, and no one carries any other variety locally.

I am in the Cleveland, Ohio area if anybody has some trimmings of moss that they are getting rid of. I would gladly relieve you of them (Just not Java Moss).

Thank you so much for looking at this! All comments, suggestions, and critiques are welcome.

Sent from my Surface Pro 3 using Tapatalk
Attached Images

atm424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #2
pferris
Algae Grower

I got the same tank
pferris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:16 AM   #3
ChemGuyEthan
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

I'm really loving that wood you've got in there. Nice work on the scape! I think once you've got it filled, that would make a great tree!

Now I'll try and answer your questions:

1) I sprayed my emmersed setups with water from my EI dosed tank for misting. Don't know that it's necessary, but it certainly didn't hurt.

2) Warm is good. As long as it's not cool where the tank sits, then ambient room temp should be fine. Keeping the humidity up will also keep the temperature higher, this is the greenhouse effect.

3) Give it TONS of light. Since there's no standing water, there's no algae to worry about. I do 12 to 14 hours a day with a desk lamp.

4) Can't really tell how tall the substrate is, but you want the water level to be a few centimeters from the sutface.

5) Yes. As I said, IMO when it's filled, that wood can make a nice tree.

If your setup is too wet, water up to the surface, you may notice what looks like spider webbing on the HC. If you see this, take immediate action! This is a mold that quickly kills and consumes plants. I found HC to be the most susceptible to this. Dry the substrate out a bit and spray with a diluted Excel solution for a few days. That should take care of it. Also, remember when you flood that you need to blast the CO2, HC really is sensitive to the transition from emmersed to submersed. Drop checker should be yellow for the first week and then slowly dial it down over the next week to get it to green.

Hope my long winded post is helpful! Keep up the good work and keep us updated!
Wabi Kusa Attempts
You can never have too many tanks...just too little time.
ChemGuyEthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 12:58 AM   #4
atm424
Algae Grower

Thanks so much for answering my questions!

For a little update: I purchased my light and filter. I bought a planted plus and an eheim 2213. The light is a huge improvement over the desk lamp and I look forward to getting this tank filled up. The HC is growing very well and putting down roots like crazy. The DHG is doing okay on the left, but the right side has some of the spiderweb like mold growing. I have been treating with some diluted excell but it's too early to tell if it's working. Should I just pull that bunch out to prevent it spreading to the HC or leave it?

And another question. Should I press the HC down flat against the substrate? It's growing pretty much laterally but I want the roots to be in the substrate as much as possible before flood.

Here are a few shots from the dry start.

This is from day 1

This is a shot from yesterday

And this is a FTS from this morning

Thanks for looking!
Old 09-07-2014, 01:49 AM   #5
ChemGuyEthan
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

Yeah, it's looking good! I'd say for now you could leave the dhg in and just watch it. Did you just spray the tank, or is it always that wet? I ask cause of the water on the back pane. Might be a little too wet back there. Maybe take a paper towel and dry the area by the dhg with the mold on it, that should also help.

I didn't bother pressing down the HC, it shouldn't hurt it so long as you aren't squishing it of course. In an emmersed setup like this, HC will creep on it's own unlike in the aquarium where it will creep and build volume upwards.
Wabi Kusa Attempts
You can never have too many tanks...just too little time.
ChemGuyEthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:55 AM   #6
atm424
Algae Grower

Thanks for the response! This was just after I sprayed this morning, I just wiped down the front for the picture.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:56 AM   #7
Kntry
Planted Tank Obsessed

Great tank! I love that wood. What kind is it? Is it one piece or did you put pieces together?

I'm planning on doing an 18" cube in the winter for a couple of really nice Bettas. I'm hoping to find a solid white male Half Moon. I've only seen one and should have bought him.
Fraternity of Dirt #160
75 gallon - CO2 injected - Underwater Waterfall is next
Kntry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:57 AM   #8
pewpewkittah
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)

Looks awesome!! I really like how the tree sits in the rocks, very natural.

Whats your schedule for misting and airing out? Did you experience any browning with the HC when starting DSM?

pewpewkittah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 01:57 AM   #9
atm424
Algae Grower

Thanks for the kind words! The wood Is From South America. It's three pieces put together.

I mist every morning unless it's still pretty saturated with ro water with some flourish comp mixed in (very little) and air out every few days as I see fit. I just started spraying the right DHG with some diluted excell because of a mold problem.

I got a few brown strands of HC but not much. Nothing to worry about though
Old 09-17-2014, 09:53 PM   #10
atm424
Algae Grower

I got around to getting out the DSLR and messed around with Photoshop (very noob)...
I tried to get it close to how it looks in real life. Let me know what you think

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Yesterday, 02:09 AM   #11
atm424
Algae Grower

I flooded the tank yesterday, and got this shot taken of it. I should get some more tomorrow. The HC was pearling like crazy!!! I cranked the CO2 way up to help with the transition (i dont know how much? my drop checker is on back order).

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by atm424; Yesterday at 12:37 PM.. Reason: Update