75G Native Planted Riffle Tank (Central NC)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 05-27-2015, 03:37 AM   #1
Itsnotme1988

PTrader: (0/0%)

75G Native Planted Riffle Tank (Central NC)

Figured as my build is going incredibly slowly I may as well start a pictoral journal! This is a 75 I picked up off of craigslist with the stand, T5 NO dual lamp, and Aqueon 75 HOB filter along with various supplies for $150. The plan as this point is to collect the majority of my decorations, flora and fauna around NC once it's up and running. I want to build a planted riffle tank (Vallisneria sp, etc) with a mix of darters, shiners and chubs with some crawfish or some arthropod that could survive with but not eat the fishes and plants. Looking to go low tech.

Built sliding glass canopies

The river manifold is 3/4in PVC with two 1" inlets and two 3/4" inlets. The hob is attached the inlet and the caps are only temporary until I order my JBJ SP2500 powerheads (530gph) and filter pads from Swiss Tropicals.

First test fit and fill with driftwood that had been soaking for several weeks...

I do still need to build a canopy to properly mount the light and need to order proper bulbs.

For gravel I used Quickrete Pea Gravel as a cap over a mixture of Scotts Topsoil and Special Kitty cat litter.

The soil is only across the back half of the tank.

The Hygrophilla difformis is planted in what I'm hoping will be a good current break. (sort of native, introduced species in Florida according to USDA) It was grown emmersed so I'm waiting for the leaves to shed.

Looking for comments, ideas, constructive criticism.
Itsnotme1988 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
Freemananana
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

You got to explain that filtration/water movement idea to me again. Also, I probably wouldn't trust my light like that. I'd suggest suspending it or making footers to go around the HOB filter.

Other than that, just needs more plants!

48"x18"x21" 75 gallon Aquarium
Any feedback in welcome!
Freemananana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
Itsnotme1988

This idea for the river manifold

http://www.loaches.com/articles/rive...anifold-design

The light is held in place by the sliding track on the right side so I'm confident it's not going to mover. It's only temporary until I get a wood canopy built and can properly mount the light.

I'm considering removing some of the gravel and replacing it/mixing in some play sand. Thoughts?
Old 05-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Freemananana
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Aha! I would suggest keeping the gravel. Sand, coupled with your filtration system and possible high current, may not stay where you want it at all. Plus, mixed substrate becomes unmixed over time. One sinks and one rises.

I retract my previous statement almost entirely. I would focus on plants that attach to the driftwood and some sort of heavy rooted plant for the rear (vals like your original post should work fine).

Do you plan on putting a foam prefilter around the intakes? Your intakes also seem a little tall compared to the link.

Any feedback in welcome!
Old 05-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
NotCousteau
Planted Tank Obsessed

Natives are awesome, and this looks great. I'd recommend moving the driftwood around. It's too centrally located right now. That long piece might look better simply lying on its side as if it fell in and sunk to the bottom.

Good luck!

Last edited by NotCousteau; 05-27-2015 at 03:51 PM..
NotCousteau is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #6
Itsnotme1988

Yes I am getting foam. Custom cut from Swiss Tropicals, the screen is just to keep curious critters out whenever I have to pull it off to clean it. Going to wait until I get rooted plants settled in a bit before adding the powerheads though. And I've always been a fan of overkill, hence the size! Haha!

The stump is going to stay in the center (it's tied down) but there is going to be more wood and rocks added as I find interesting pieces. I just haven't had the time to go out and hunt... I do want to get some Manzanita branches to place in the left side though and add some "boulders" to the right. The current setup is just tentative.

Also the stump does have some holes bored and filled with soil and capped ready for something to be planted in it! Possibly dwarf hairgrass but not entirely sold on that yet...

I have really missed keeping aquariums. When I was in high school I had a side job of delivering, setting up and maintaining various aquariums. But that was 10 years ago and I have been completely out of the hobby ever since.

Been having a difficult time as far as collecting b/c I have never been one to just go out and explore. I just always feel lost....haha The way people are around here I'm always uneasy of stumbling on someones property... The wood I got was in a local reservoir but it has very little beach access away from property and I don't own a boat (yet) that I can go out and truly explore the Neuse River. (which I have also been struggling with exploring and finding the time since I typically work evenings/nights 55-70hrs/wk...)

I love the feedback and ideas! Thanks!

As far as bulbs what would be recommended? Right now it has a 3500k utilitech which needs to come out and 10k daylight (both 28w)

Last edited by Itsnotme1988; 05-27-2015 at 08:53 PM.. Reason: adding thoughts
Old 05-27-2015, 10:59 PM   #7
Freemananana
Planted Tank Enthusiast

6500k daylight bulbs are highly suggested. I'm a fan of 5000k myself.

Any feedback in welcome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.