high tech lights on a open tank : example - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2005, 03:03 AM   #16
jastormont
Algae Grower
 
jastormont's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Australia, Brisbane
Posts: 67
Default

Since I have seen your setup and these lights I am seriously looking at using a T5 solution for my new tank.

I would love some feed back on this as you will know more then me!

I will have a 72"x24"x24" (I might go only 18" or 20" wide yet do not know) tank that will probably come with a glass top. I am going to get a Open top Hood if this makes sense that will only creat a wooden boarder around the top of the tank. As of this I could run a open top tank but I am not sure yet.

My plan is to have a lush green Discus planted tank!
jastormont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #17
scolley
Planted Tank Guru
 
scolley's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: connecticut
Posts: 3,276
Default

PJAN - those lights are soooo cool! I gotta find out about the same dimmable ballasts for the US. Like you said, they've got to be available here somewhere. Then once we find them, the next step is to find someone that knows how to hook them up.

I'd like to put them in a TEK light. That would really solve the dilemma over wondering how many bulbs to get. If they are dimmable, the answer becomes - "more than you think you'll ever need, so you'll always have enough, while shutting off a bank, or dimming them means you'll never have too much!"

Thanks for posting this!

PS - found an ineresting link regarding some "gotchas" in using dimmable T5's, for anyone considering doing it themselves (like me!)
__________________
Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
scolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:33 AM   #18
gnatster
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 488
Default

Advance has a dimmable line, Mark 7 0-10V dimming ballast.
__________________
-*-*-*-*-
gnatster
gnatster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:59 AM   #19
Hypancistrus
Wannabe Guru
 
Hypancistrus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 1,032
Default

So they're not Giesemann then? What are they? Where did you get them?
Hypancistrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:10 PM   #20
Hypancistrus
Wannabe Guru
 
Hypancistrus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJAN
But I cannot beleive there is not a dimmable ballast available in the USA.
There is.

http://www.championlighting.com/e/en...ers/solar.html
Hypancistrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:20 PM   #21
GTApuffgal
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: GTA, Ontario
Posts: 592
Default high tech lights on an open tank

OMG Pjan - that is too sexy!

My husband is slowly getting sucked into being slightly enthusiastic about this hobby of mine. Every now and then I show him a photo of something neat and usually, "Oh, that's nice honey." He saw that fixture and said, "We gotta get a bigger house..."

As usual - thanks for sharing! And still tapping toe impatiently for new aquascape!!!
__________________
Kathy - EHEIM Step-pimp #148!

20gal, Flourite/Gravel, 3.25wpg, AC-150, DIY CO2, part-time 12V AA UV, heavily planted, 2 Keyholes, African Butterfly Cichlid, Neons, Clown Pleco and 4 Otos

180gal Malawi community (step-mom), Eheim 2217
GTApuffgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #22
gnatster
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
PTrader: (2/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypancistrus
IceCap has a forum on Reef Central where there are many many "discussions" on issues with that particular dimable ballast controller.
__________________
-*-*-*-*-
gnatster
gnatster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:10 PM   #23
Laith
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Laith's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Posts: 670
Default

Very nice! I want!

I especially like the light in the eyes issue. This is the reason that I haven't yet gotten this type of lighting on an open tank. I don't want to sit on the couch (slightly lower than the aquarium) and be blinded every time I look at the tank.

Who makes them?
__________________
Eheim Pimp #83

Eheim 2126, 2026 and 2222, 2x Eheim autofeeders
Laith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:15 PM   #24
PJAN
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastormont
Since I have seen your setup and these lights I am seriously looking at using a T5 solution for my new tank.

I would love some feed back on this as you will know more then me!

I will have a 72"x24"x24" (I might go only 18" or 20" wide yet do not know) tank that will probably come with a glass top. I am going to get a Open top Hood if this makes sense that will only creat a wooden boarder around the top of the tank. As of this I could run a open top tank but I am not sure yet.

My plan is to have a lush green Discus planted tank!
A wooden baorder isn't necessary if the pendant doesn't shine into your eyes.
A T5 + good reflector will be very effective to get the light down to the bottom.
For a planted tank your size I would choose at least 3 x 80 Watt T5 with reflectors or maybe 4. The plants wil haven enough light en it is not a problem to grow Glosso on the bottom.

Gr.PJAN
PJAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:25 PM   #25
PJAN
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laith
Very nice! I want!

I especially like the light in the eyes issue. This is the reason that I haven't yet gotten this type of lighting on an open tank. I don't want to sit on the couch (slightly lower than the aquarium) and be blinded every time I look at the tank.

Who makes them?
They are made by a local manufacturer called ATI. Available in Holland/Gemany.
"TEK" lights are a bit simular but I'm not sure as I didn't saw them close by.

The "light-in-the-eyes" issue is also for me an important thing. Although MH lamps give very nice light, the room, neighbours and street is also lightened
So a flat T5 pendant with good reflectors really pinpoint the light right down where it belongs : in your tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTApuffgal
OMG Pjan - that is too sexy!

My husband is slowly getting sucked into being slightly enthusiastic about this hobby of mine. Every now and then I show him a photo of something neat and usually, "Oh, that's nice honey." He saw that fixture and said, "We gotta get a bigger house..."

As usual - thanks for sharing! And still tapping toe impatiently for new aquascape!!!
Thx Kathy...

Bigger house? Get rid of a big chair and you're done!
But this whole setup looks much better a if placed with enough free space around it.

Aquascape : yeah, yeah. I am growing now some plants and waiting for some wood. I have all the time : there is no big competition going on the next months.

Gr. PJAN
PJAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:22 AM   #26
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru
 
Betowess's Avatar
 
PTrader: (27/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Skagit County, Washington State
Posts: 3,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJAN
They are made by a local manufacturer called ATI. Available in Holland/Gemany.
"TEK" lights are a bit simular but I'm not sure as I didn't saw them close by.

The "light-in-the-eyes" issue is also for me an important thing. Although MH lamps give very nice light, the room, neighbours and street is also lightened
So a flat T5 pendant with good reflectors really pinpoint the light right down where it belongs : in your tank.

Gr. PJAN
Thanks for the great post PJAN!! Stunning fixture and tank!! Yes, we've got to find a dimmable computer source for the Tek lights here in the US. Maybe Sunlight Supply is already in R&D on it??

There is a bit of spill with my T5 Tek 4x54s unless the light is really low on the tank. But I'm thinking of constructing a small blind on a couple of hinges or possibly using velcro and to incorporate two LCD moon lights. I spotted some nice moonlights at Reefandmarine.com. FWIW, I think the 4x54 is marginally O.K. on my 90 gallon, but 6x54 would probably have been best, if one has the time for the extra dosing and trimming. On the other hand, I'm getting massive pearling with all four 54 watts running with plus 30ppm CO2.
Thanks again. bob
__________________




Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 01:53 PM   #27
PJAN
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Holland
Posts: 211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betowess
Thanks for the great post PJAN!! Stunning fixture and tank!! Yes, we've got to find a dimmable computer source for the Tek lights here in the US. Maybe Sunlight Supply is already in R&D on it??

There is a bit of spill with my T5 Tek 4x54s unless the light is really low on the tank. But I'm thinking of constructing a small blind on a couple of hinges or possibly using velcro and to incorporate two LCD moon lights. I spotted some nice moonlights at Reefandmarine.com. FWIW, I think the 4x54 is marginally O.K. on my 90 gallon, but 6x54 would probably have been best, if one has the time for the extra dosing and trimming. On the other hand, I'm getting massive pearling with all four 54 watts running with plus 30ppm CO2.
Thanks again. bob
Thanks for the compliments!

Yeah, I noticed the TEK-light has not very "deep" reflectors. My setup has deeper reflectors and the T5's are beaming real narrow. That's why I decided to have 6 x 54 Watt T5 to have a good spread.

I now work with only 4 x 54 Watt for the time because this tank is running for only two weeks or so and still in the maturing process. I tried 6 x 54 Watt ( at 100%.... ), but after a day I already got a haze in the water. UV standing by, but I decided it was better to take it slow and let things mature a bit.
Later I will go on with more light.

I think you will be fine with "only" 4 x 54Watt T5's. A big point is trimming and dosing. I already can throw away cuttings . There's no point at finding out "how fast the plants can grow". I my opinion there must a balance between healthy grow and trimming - light - dosing.

With the dimmable ballast and computer I kind of "stear" the growth rate with the amount of light giving during " peak hours".
Peak hours are very important : enough light to keep the plants down and bushy. But not too long to avoid weekly trimming.

Some thoughts about T5 written down also in this thread by me :
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...4&page=5&pp=15



Gr. PJAN
PJAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 11:29 PM   #28
Hypancistrus
Wannabe Guru
 
Hypancistrus's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 1,032
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnatster
IceCap has a forum on Reef Central where there are many many "discussions" on issues with that particular dimable ballast controller.
As it says on the page I linked there, you have to use it with an Icecap dimmable ballast. You actually have to call or e-mail to request the dimmable feature on the ballast. I believe it costs a bit extra.
Hypancistrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:01 AM   #29
scolley
Planted Tank Guru
 
scolley's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: connecticut
Posts: 3,276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJAN
...enough light to keep the plants down and bushy. But not too long to avoid weekly trimming
Wow! That concept in itself is enough to consider the dimmable lights - enough light to keep the plants low and bushy (not too leggy) but not turned up long enough to require a bunch of weekly trimming.

That sounds like planted tank nirvana to me!
__________________
Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
scolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 06:33 AM   #30
Betowess
Planted Tank Guru
 
Betowess's Avatar
 
PTrader: (27/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Skagit County, Washington State
Posts: 3,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJAN
With the dimmable ballast and computer I kind of "stear" the growth rate with the amount of light giving during " peak hours".
Peak hours are very important : enough light to keep the plants down and bushy. But not too long to avoid weekly trimming.
Gr. PJAN
Yeah, I already had a GW outbreak, was kind of expecting it and ditched the DE Vortex route and popped for a 15 watt UV unit which now runs at night. My tank is only about 3 weeks old too. Thats great to think about the peak hours thing. I'm running about 7.5 hours on all four mid-day. We'll kind of. A couple of hours 4 x 54watt in the morning before a two hour siesta, then with all four in the afternoon with just two on for the last two hours. Plants are growing well. I might eliminate the siesta, but I like having the tank lit up at night when I get back. I also want to steer away from the major dosing trimming maintenance thing that high lights can give.

I absolutely love that dimable feature. My next rig will incorporate that, if budget allows. bob
__________________




Three Tanks...Eheim 2128 & XP3-90G, Eheim 2128-65G, Eheim 2232-25G.... Tek 4x54 watt T5-90G, Aqualight 96watt PC 65G low tech, 65 watt Aqualight-25G.... Hydors-90G & 65G ... Flourite in 90, 65, & 25 Gallons, .... Auto Water Change/Auto dosing on 90 & 65 gallon..... AGA member......
Betowess is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012