My attempt at a Riparium
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 03-05-2012, 02:09 AM   #1
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

My attempt at a Riparium

My high tech planted is now over 2 years old and doing very well. My GF bought a tank for growing herbs but they didn't do well with only window light coming in. So I asked if could turn this into Riparium. I got the green light so started spending $$$.

The tank is cycling (fish less), not sure what fish to add, still researching best options for fauna.

The volume of water is about 15 Gallons of water. The tank is near a window that will get about 3-4 hours of direct sunlight and then indirect the rest of the day.

Still waiting on planters for marginal plants. I have some other plants in the tank for a couple weeks. Crypt, apotgen crispus red

Just seeing how the drift wood looks, while waiting on proper planters to arrive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 02:16 AM   #2
Jayme
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I LOVE that tank. I've never seen anything quite like it before.
Jayme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #3
TWINSCREWED
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Wow, that really is an interesting tank and looks to be really nice for a riparium. You look to be off to a good start. Good luck, I will be watching.
TWINSCREWED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
duff
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (29/100%)

Yes, very interesting tank - what are the dimensions/gallons? Who makes it? Looking forward to seeing it progress as it looks like a fantastic tank for a riparium!
Old 03-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #5
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have wanted to try a Riparium for a while now. The tank was from Big Als and the lighting was Marineland, so I am not sure if the tank is also Marineland. The stand matches the shape of the tank and it was all sold as a kit. No brand name was on the tank when I bought it.

The drift wood stained the water tea color, which I like the look of anyway.

Tank is next to a window so I hope this direct and indirect light helps with plant growth. I don't have plans for fertilizer with this tank, hoping for low tech tank.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:06 PM   #6
EnigmaticGuppy92
Planted Tank Enthusiast

looking really good nice job
Normal Leopard Gecko ''Shadow''
Super hypo tangerine baldy carrot tail leopard gecko ''Moon''
2 whites tree frogs ''Ying and Yang''
1 Royal Python ''Neptune''
1 Veiled Chameleon '' Yoshi''
EnigmaticGuppy92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #7
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

forgot to answer tank size.

it's 24" wide, depth is 13" and back of tank is 14" high and lower lip is 9". Water volume is about 14-15 Gallons. Seems perfect for a Riparium.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:19 AM   #8
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Really interesting tank; I like the wood emerging from the surface too. I'm wondering about the light you have above it?

Do you have a plant and fauna list that you'd like to put in eventually?

Definitely looking forward to seeing how this evolves!

sox
Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #9
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, I have not researched other plants I want or where to get them locally. any good Riparium plant guides?

Also would l like suggestions on fish for 14 G of water. I ruled out platies, guppies, endlers as I don't want any fry to deal with. I have only had 75G and 220G tank last several years and never kept smaller tanks until now.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:19 AM   #10
Chrisinator
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Amazing tank setup!
Chrisinator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 02:23 AM   #11
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

A plant link for you:

http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.c...ested-out.html

sox
Old 03-07-2012, 02:30 AM   #12
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (142/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockfish View Post
I would consider plants in that list with a grain of salt. A lot of them were only added because they were thought to grow in water. I have tried many of them and got poor results for a good number.

The best way to get good results with riparium plants is to use some of the proven plants that have already demonstrated good growht in ripariums.

Somehow the idea got around too that you can put any kind of houseplant in a riparium. This is definitely flawed. Most kinds of houseplants are from upland forest areas and if you put them in a riparium their roots will just start to rot and die. There are however a few kinds of houseplants that do very well in riapriums. Two of the best riparium plants are Spathiphyllum peace lilies and various Pilea spp..
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

You know, given what hydrophyte has just said, and he being the expert, perhaps we should start a list for a Riparium Plant Sticky to help all us newbies? It would help to have both the scientific name and the common name of the best plants for starting out. Maybe even attach a picture?

When I see "Pilea", I'm not sure what I'm looking for unless I know it's also called "Aluminum plant" [I think that's P. cadierei], though there are other varieties sold.
Unless we already have a list here and I just haven't found it?

sox
Old 03-08-2012, 01:28 AM   #14
mdreher
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

We don't have a list here, but they do have one over at Aquatic Plant Enthusiast. Here's the link: http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.c...ested-out.html .At the beginning of the thread there is a link you can click on. It's a pretty cool list. Although it would be pretty cool if we started a list here too. This site gets much more traffic than that site.
mdreher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #15
newday3000
Planted Tank Obsessed

This list is a great help. would like a fish list too but more sites to find a fish list. nothing unique about riparium for fish other than water volume.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.