No tech nano
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 04-08-2015, 10:59 PM   #1
MonsterMoss
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

No tech nano

Hi! I'm hoping to set up my first planted "tank" for my office desk. Tried reading up on various aspects of tanks and frankly I'm a little overwhelmed. Here's a run through of what I'm thinking and perhaps more experienced tankers could shed some insights.

What I already have:
* free sunlight (indirect, medium I'd guess)
* 6 x 6 x 6 glass vase that holds a little shy of 1G
* very lonely marimo

What I'd like to have:
* No CO2 tank, booster/liquid works.
* Nothing that moves - fish, shrimps, snails, cats, babies, etc.

Possible candidates:
* Anubias barteri var. nana petite
* Cryptocoryne Parva
* Dwarf Sagittaria
* Narrow Leaf Chain Sword
* Micro sword
* Bacopa Monnieri
* Dwarf Baby Tears because it needs high light
* Dwarf Hair Grass because it needs high light
* Maybe tiny rocks/driftwood
* Get a gf for lonely marimo
* White gravel to contrast against green plants

With all those above in mind, I have a few questions. As this "tank" will have multiple plants, I would think that it needs soil like substrate. I went to a LFS and they said gravel alone would be fine, but I'm not convinced? Before I went, I was thinking 3/4"~1" of soil and 1/2" of gravel. I also read that very compact substrate can create anaerobic condition, choking roots. And since this has very little water movement (I'd do water changes if needed), maybe I should worry about that? Get sand instead? Am I overthinking? I just want the best for my plants.

Anything I'm overlooking besides substrate issue? Thanks in advance for any inputs!

Last edited by MonsterMoss; 04-09-2015 at 02:47 AM.. Reason: ETA: booster/liquid works
MonsterMoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2015, 12:22 AM   #2
peggysplanted
Algae Grower

You can't have dwarf hairgrass and dwarf baby tears in that tank! They require really high lighting and CO2. Its impossible to grow without and it'll end up dying. Another good plant for lot light and no co2 is Java Fern.

I would actually recommend some type of lighting, natural sunlight is not controllable and often too strong or two weak. If you had some lighting, the tank will look nicer!

Its always best to have some plant substrate like eco-complete or something like that. It really helps plant growth. Good luck on the tank!
peggysplanted is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2015, 02:07 AM   #3
MonsterMoss
Algae Grower

Thanks, peggysplanted!

I fixed in my original post that I'm comfortable using liquid CO2 or booster (are they the same thing?).

I was hoping that medium light would keep them status quo and not propagate/carpet the thing. I was planning to give one as a gift to someone - if this worked out - and I know that he wants minimal care. I'll keep on eye for low light grass. Or narrow leaf sword would do.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:20 AM   #4
peggysplanted
Algae Grower

Hey, dwarf baby tears and dwarf hairgrass requires a high level of CO2 and even liquid co2 doesn't work. I've tried it many times as a beginner and it just doesn't work. It just sits there for a day or two and then rots.

If this is your first plant tank, go with low light plants like the crypts, moss, java fern, etc. With low light, its hard to grow a carpet. Dwarf sag might work, I never had it before though.. You can get a really small and cheap light and it'll grow the plants and make your aquarium look nice.
peggysplanted is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2015, 02:30 AM   #5
sockfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Plant substrate like eco-complete, yes.
Desk lamp with 6500K daylight bulb, yes.
Maybe some nana petite on a delicate piece of wood.
Crypts can look grass-like, and are easier to start.
A drop or two of Fluorish Excel for CO2.

Water changes, yes!
Old 04-09-2015, 02:44 AM   #6
MonsterMoss
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by peggysplanted View Post
Hey, dwarf baby tears and dwarf hairgrass requires a high level of CO2 and even liquid co2 doesn't work. I've tried it many times as a beginner and it just doesn't work. It just sits there for a day or two and then rots.

If this is your first plant tank, go with low light plants like the crypts, moss, java fern, etc. With low light, its hard to grow a carpet. Dwarf sag might work, I never had it before though.. You can get a really small and cheap light and it'll grow the plants and make your aquarium look nice.
LFS also recommended dwarf saggitaria as well. Their plants looked not.. well so I was skeptical of their advices. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockfish View Post
Plant substrate like eco-complete, yes.
Desk lamp with 6500K daylight bulb, yes.
Maybe some nana petite on a delicate piece of wood.
Crypts can look grass-like, and are easier to start.
A drop or two of Fluorish Excel for CO2.

Water changes, yes!
I'm a little worried about Flourish Excel since marimo moss balls are actually algae and Excel is algaecide. Don't ask me how I found out :|

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Location. As precise as you feel comfortable with.
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, John and his friend Sally both spotted a dalmatian inside of a truck with sirens. The animal with John and Sally is a _ _ _?
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.