Whats better?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 02-27-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Whats better?

10% water change every afternoon or a 40% water change once a week?
I dose excel daily in the morning.
10gallonplanted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 01:23 AM   #2
Zefrik
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I think it would be easier on you and the animals in the aquarium with having to deal with one water change a week. That way they won't have to be disturbed everyday.
Zefrik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 03:25 AM   #3
xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

I agree, once a week is best
Old 02-28-2012, 04:14 AM   #4
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

In a stream the water is changing non-stop, plants & fish don't deem to mind it. They have live that way for thousands of years.

I think the more important thing is maintaining the integrity of your bio-filter.

I would make for an interesting test two tanks sidexside one daily w/c one weekly. I think i'd bet more growth would be seen in daily w/c tank. Might see fish spawning too.
DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 04:16 AM   #5
Green Thumb Aquatics
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Green Thumb Aquatics

I dont really agree with that, fish like water changes, I would think they would appreciate the fresh water daily, even if they were disturbed for a few minutes out of a 24 hour day... I'm sure they would get used to it...

but six of one half a dozen of another....

I know my fish do seem to like more than one a week, even tho that happens few and far between....
Old 02-28-2012, 06:02 AM   #6
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

I agree with DogFish that it would take a good comparative test to really be sure which would work best. Intuitively I have believed that a small change every day is better than a big change once a week, as long as both percentages are adequate to prevent big buildups of fertilizers or contaminants. But, I can see the benefit of a big water change by itself too. Maybe this would be a good science experiment for a high school class?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan

I recall a controlled experiment someone did (read this a while back so i don't have source links) where a guy kept a bunch of oscars in a fairly small tank. I think it was something like 10 times the recommended amount of fish in the tank. Each oscar had about five gallons to itself i believe? Keep in mind this is all recollection so don't quote me.

Anyway the point of bringing this up is that this guy did 100% water changes every day. He would completely drain the bare bottomed tank, the oscars would flop around in less than an inch of water at the bottom, and he would refill the tank with fresh water. He didn't use any filtration, and after the first couple days the oscars just learned to expect it and didnt even flo around at the bottom during the water changes, just sat calmly and waited.

During the entire experiment all the fish remained healthy and happy, and seemed to thrive with the constantly changing water. I hope someone finds this article it was pretty interesting.

The moral is: as long as you're changing water, who cares when you're doing it, as long as you're doing it. Whatever is easiest for you.

Edit: found it! interesting read, check it out http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/fo...lon-Oscar-Tank
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
dbosman@msu.edu
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)

If you can find the November 2009 and December 2009 issues of TFH, there is an article dealing with water changes and percentages. Time for a Change: A Mathematical Investigation of Water Changes
dbosman@msu.edu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
kcartwright856
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I've heard from a few folks that have been keeping fish for several decades that smaller water changes more often are much better than larger water changes less often. That is to say, better for your fish. For example, two 25% changes twice a week are better than one 50% change once a week.

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!
KC's Uninteresting Tank
kcartwright856 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 02:46 AM   #10
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (75/100%)

Unless someone does a carefully controlled test, comparing two otherwise identical tanks, it doesn't matter how many years of experience someone has. Old wives tales are generally spread by the most experienced of us, who never do any such testing. Often those with less experience will do the testing to answer questions for themselves, and determine the real answer by doing so. But, still the most experienced will resist changing their ideas. That seems to be just human nature.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:49 AM   #11
kcartwright856
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

As I said, it's what I've heard. Not seen or tested by myself.

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!
KC's Uninteresting Tank
kcartwright856 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
HD Blazingwolf
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

i've experienced that any water change is good, ranging from 10-90% that i've done, and the more frequent the better
that is my sole conclusion.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
10gallonplanted
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)

Alright so the past two weeks ive been doing 10%-15% water changes every afternoon in my 40B, usually its 30% every one week. Well after the daily water change today, my penguin tetras started breeding! They where scattering their eggs over some naja grass. Pretty cool to watch but im sure the khuli loaches, ghost shrimp and cories will have them eaten in no time haha. Daily water changes and feedings twice a day works good for me.
10gallonplanted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I would go for more frequent smaller water changes, rather than one giant water change less frequently.

The numbers in the 'Time For A Change' article indicate why:

Even if both methods keep a certain toxin low enough on average, the infrequent water change system allow a pretty big build up between water changes. Perhaps not into toxic levels, but perhaps a bit too high for optimum health.

Doing 7 water changes of 10% (one per day) is not the same as doing 1 water change of 70% once a week.

To replicate nature even more:
Do small daily water changes, and less frequent larger water changes (perhaps weekly)
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 12:54 AM   #15
samamorgan
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to samamorgan Send a message via Skype™ to samamorgan

If you think about it, daily small water changes just simulate a tropical rainy season.
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Beethoven
Don't only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine.
samamorgan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.