getting back in, in a small way
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Massachusetts

Old 01-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #1
bags
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

getting back in, in a small way

Hi,

I go way back with the hobby - but have been inactive for almost 20 years. Kids and careers will do that too you.

I can support 1 tank in the 15-20 gallon size, probably interested in setting up a Crypticorne and Gourami tank.

This tank looks fairly nice, although I expect that integrated extras (light, filter) are probably not that good, does anyone have comments or advice?

http://china-south-group-inc-usa.ama...source=froogle

There used to be this pond oriented place down the south shore that had a good 6-10 very nice crypts variety in stock at any one time - but I forget where it was.

Once I get it established a bit, does anyone have a good trustworthy source of fish stock? I'll probably stick with Pearls (3 F and 2 M) - unless someone talks me out of that.

Thanks for any help or alternate views you want to share.

W
bags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
shortsboy
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Welcome back! There are tons of tanks available on Craigslist fully setup for $50 or so, if you don't mind getting used stuff, and if you are willing to watch and wait you can get top quality stuff for 1/10 the price. Since you're going low-light for plants, you won't have to go very fancy for lighting setup.

I don't know which crypt species you want, but there are a couple of members here who've had incredible crypt collections, but when the tank is up and running happily put out a call in the Swap and Shop section here listing your desired species, and you'll probably get both better stock and lower prices.

The best livestock in the area I've seen was at Tropic Isle, but it's a drive for you and usually a bit pricier. Msjinkzd is a sponsor here and has some pretty rad connections for livestock though, and could likely find almost anything given enough notice, or could pass you on to someone who could. Look up the "invertebrates by Msjinkzd" forum on the main page.

And most of all, peruse around and ask for any help you might need. The folks here are great.
shortsboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
SBPyro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (31/100%)

I agree with Craigslist for equipment. Also Boston Aquarium Society has a monthly meeting and at the end of the night there is an auction for equipment. Last month a tank, and filter and light would have cost you less than $20. They also have a pretty comprehensive list of LFS. There is also Jay's Aquatic in Salem NH. That may be closer for you. They have improved their freshwater selection.
SBPyro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
shortsboy
Planted Member

How did I work in Salem NH for two years and never hear about Jay's??? There are two great marine LFSs that I found, but never freshwater. Darn.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
SBPyro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortsboy View Post
How did I work in Salem NH for two years and never hear about Jay's??? There are two great marine LFSs that I found, but never freshwater. Darn.
Jay's only started freshwater bout a year or two ago.
SBPyro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #6
redpaulhus
Planted Member

As far as I know, Paradise Water Gardens down in Weymouth has shut down. I've been sending people there for years for pond stuff and was recently told by somebody I referred there that it was not open. but I could be wrong.
Unique Aquaria (formerly Skipton's Pet) in Boston often has a wide variety of crypts in stock - some nice 6" bronze wendtii right now, spiralis and retrospiralis, along with some other locally raised varieties (I forget which ones - blassi maybe and one other, the name escapes me). Also some very nice pond raised pearl (leeri) gouramis.
As was previously mentioned - the BAS meetings can be a great source of plants and fish as well.
redpaulhus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 06:13 PM   #7
Chikorita
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (79/100%)

Redpaulhus

Welcome to the forum .. I do come to the BAS meeting almost every month ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpaulhus View Post
As far as I know, Paradise Water Gardens down in Weymouth has shut down. I've been sending people there for years for pond stuff and was recently told by somebody I referred there that it was not open. but I could be wrong.
Unique Aquaria (formerly Skipton's Pet) in Boston often has a wide variety of crypts in stock - some nice 6" bronze wendtii right now, spiralis and retrospiralis, along with some other locally raised varieties (I forget which ones - blassi maybe and one other, the name escapes me). Also some very nice pond raised pearl (leeri) gouramis.
As was previously mentioned - the BAS meetings can be a great source of plants and fish as well.
Chikorita is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
bags
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the tips/info. I'm going to go slow and think about what I want.

Right now: 40 gallon (48x12x13) & Featherfin Rainbow Fish (and a cory or two) & crypts
Old 02-03-2012, 02:57 AM   #9
shortsboy
Planted Member

Aha! That's Skipton's new name. I just started working in town and wanted to stop by there by couldn't figure out if they were still open.

And yes, this has been the most informative thread for me in a while.
Old 02-04-2012, 01:41 AM   #10
SueD
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

It would be a bit of a hike for you, but Uncle Ned's Fish Factory in Millis is a great place to try. They generally can order just what you want or need if they don't have it already. And they usually have some of the less common fish as well as the regulars. They're doing better than they used to with their plant supply and again, they will special order. Of course, that may then mean a second trip. They do a lot with outdoor ponds as well.
SueD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2012, 02:15 AM   #11
bags
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueD View Post
It would be a bit of a hike for you, but Uncle Ned's Fish Factory in Millis is a great place to try. They generally can order just what you want or need if they don't have it already. And they usually have some of the less common fish as well as the regulars. They're doing better than they used to with their plant supply and again, they will special order. Of course, that may then mean a second trip. They do a lot with outdoor ponds as well.
Sue, I can't get the URL to work, and I thought I read in a thread yesterday that they might have gone under...

OK, I have the tank: 12 gallon (35x8x9) all glass. I have always liked long tanks, and it fits into a perfect place where i can hide the lights and filtration systems out of sight. Some driftwood, plants, and sparkling gourami's and I'll be all set.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2012, 04:44 AM   #12
mickmac247
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

http://unclenedsfishfactory.com/ I hope he didnt go under as there will be a lot of upset people.lol Hope that link works if not just google Uncle Neds. Welcome back to the insanity
Old 02-04-2012, 05:43 AM   #13
shortsboy
Planted Member

Ned's was updating their forum today with new stocklists, so I'm guessing they're still around.

BTW, anyone know of local places to exchange livestock? The wife was discussing changing out the stock in my 30g (black neon + red phantom tetras, and angels) and didn't know if any of the local joints were more amenable than others to trades.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
bags
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmac247 View Post
http://unclenedsfishfactory.com/ I hope he didnt go under as there will be a lot of upset people.lol Hope that link works if not just google Uncle Neds. Welcome back to the insanity
Glad its still there, Malwarebytes blocked access... interesting.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
SueD
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Ned's will often trade but you'd want to call first

Phone: (800) 683-5165
(508) 533-5969

I think it may depend on if he's already well stocked with a particular species or not.

"I hope he didnt go under as there will be a lot of upset people" That's for sure and yes, he's still there (at least a week ago).

I'm fortunate as I live about 10 minutes from there and they're a great help when you need it.
SueD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.