North Shore Aquarium Stores?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Massachusetts

Old 03-13-2007, 08:36 PM   #1
Nite Vizhun
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

North Shore Aquarium Stores?

I live in Beverly. Aside from Petco and the dump in the local Mall, the only pet store with a viable aquarium department (that I'm aware of) is PJ's Pet Center.

I actually worked at PJ's back in the early 90's and loved it there. I always had first bids on new shipments, and managed to find some real gems while I was there. However, it seems to have gone downhill a bit, and I'd really like to find something else on the North Shore worth visiting.

We used to have a store here in Beverly called Curious Creatures. It was in an old Fire House, and it was tiny but excellent. Nice selection of interesting fish in an excellent layout. They then moved to another location in Beverly, and finally they moved on to Salem.

I never found out their Salem location (this was a few years ago, now), and now I can't find any listing for them in Salem. The only listing for Curious Creatures is in Groveland, and I believe that is just a place that does reptile shows at kids' parties.

So, to get back on point - where do you suggest to buy fish on the North Shore of Boston?
Nite Vizhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
Nite Vizhun
Algae Grower

Now that PJ's is closed, the only place worth visiting is Uncle Ned's in Millis.

How's Tropic Isle in Framingham compared to Ned's? Is it better/as good/worse? Worth a 45 minute drive?

Pickin's are getting slim around here.
Nite Vizhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Drewsplantednutz
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Bump
Drewsplantednutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #4
bags
Algae Grower

I'm not sure, but thinking about it reminded me about two places that used to be in Marblehead.

#1. There was a pretty advanced shop there in the 80's, and they used to pay me well for my bred black lace angels. I looked around the local listings and they must be long gone....

#2. (pardon the off topic muse) The other place was the basement of a house right on the water that they nuked in old town after the 80-something year old owner died. This guy had about 30 tanks, and bred all his own stuff. He was a wizard - Discus, neons, swordtails, angels, loaches... I must have been in there 80 times from '65-'69. You don't see anybody doing that anymore, in particular with the near useless supplies they had back then. Pardon me for the off topic post. I had forgotten the whole thing for years. It was like a cathedral for me, and I got bit pretty hard.
bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
SBPyro
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (31/100%)

I work in Beverly, I usually stop by Boston Pets in Peabody for stuff.
And if they don't have it I'll go to Unique Aquaria (formerly known as Skiptons).
And when I'm getting an oil change I'll swing by Lovely Pets in Quincy.
SBPyro is online now   Reply With Quote